• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Underground - Future stock - My Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterboo

Hi guys...
I was travelling on the central line the other day, when I saw one of these posters advertising the 'upgrade of the tube', and how part of that plan was to have new stock.

So I decided to design my own dream tube stock of the future, and I rendered it.

Please be aware that the design is a work in progress. (Click bottom thumbnail preview for larger image).

I was wondering what you guys think of the design, what you would add, and most importantly, what would be your dream tube stock of the future?

Many Thanks
Oh, and more images to come soon.

Attachments

• train interior version 1.jpg
    train interior version 1.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
That's a better looking interior than some of the proposals I've seen recently; it would need full walk-through like the S Stock has though.

waterboo

Apologies moderators, I am relatively new to the forums.

Now, I have done a little bit more work on the design, and now present you with my latest image (unrendered however).
I was thinking of the Piccadilly Line in the design, and how to give space for luggage. Because of this, I replaced the centre seats with folding seats for wheelchairs, pushchairs and luggage.

I am going to add an articulated section to make it walkthrough like the S stock.

Once again look forward to your opinions.

Attachments

• no.2 train concept.jpg
    no.2 train concept.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 90

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
You don't need articulated stock to offer walk-through; the S Stock, the 378s and the Paris Metro stock on Lines 1, 2, 5, 9 and 14 all use conventional bogies - what you do need is a full width and full height gangway.

colchesterken

There has been a trend towards longer coaches lately.
Would it not be better for curved stations and bends like the Central line between Liverpool st and Bank
to have shorter coaches
Walk through, more seats Epping to Oxford Circus standing is a bit hard on the legs.and air con please

waterboo

Good point, I suppose smaller sections would allow the train to have a greater width, upon entering the platform. More width equals more space. Working on that. Regarding more seats, would it be an idea to have a 'board' in the middle of the aisle, that is cushioned for something to lean on????? You get more capacity, and hopefully, more comfort.

Last edited:

waterboo

In my latest update, I have started to construct an inter-carriage articulate section for my train. To combat the problem of increasing the amount of seats, I have now made a prototype (not very good however), of cushioned stand up seats in the middle to the isle.
Now, you may think that the spacing is very tight, but actually the width of my train is only 2.42 m, whilst most stock on the underground is 2.62. So given that I increase the width of the carriage, I would have plenty of space to accommodate more people in comfort. Also, if I made the carriage sections shorter, this will help to made the carriage wider, holding more space.

Oh, theres also a newspaper storage area. Now that's handy, isn't it??? Besides this, its London. Therefore people are accustomed to tight spaces. :|

Attachments

• Update 3.jpg
    Update 3.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 56

Domh245

Established Member
My only problem with the perch rack in the middle is that it really restricts movement. People do walk down the aisle on trains from time to time, and occasionally people talk to each other across the aisle as well. It would also cause problems with it being used as a foot rest by some of the more "born in a barn" type people

waterboo

My only problem with the perch rack in the middle is that it really restricts movement. People do walk down the aisle on trains from time to time, and occasionally people talk to each other across the aisle as well. It would also cause problems with it being used as a foot rest by some of the more "born in a barn" type people

Thanks for that, that is amazing advice. It will give me a lot to think through. I definatly agree that people do like to talk to each other on each side of the carriage, however I see people do more in the sociable hours (i.e times other than rush hour). Also I think people are used to staying static during rush hour, and I think people just prefer comfort.
Having said that, you have given me an idea, what if we could make it detachable? Whilst a train is being reformed in the 10minuite period after rush hour, the perch could be removed.

My intentions are not to have the perch at the centre of the carriage (the fold up seats), because that should be reserved for buggies ect....

However, for the foot rests, well you've made a sad and inevitable point. Its a city thing. :(

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Whilst a train is being reformed in the 10minuite period after rush hour, the perch could be removed.

The trains are not reformed for off peak; they simply park a few of them in the depot and reduce capacity off peak by running fewer trains.

waterboo

Whilst I finish making the improvements to my original designs. I have been working on a new concept, which combines the suggestions of comfort, seats, walkthrough, and smaller lengths.
I present you version 2 below.

The train now has better seats with a higher back, allowing you to lean. In the future, you will also be able to alter the angle of the chair.

Underneath the seat is some space for luggage and suitcases, although there will still be sections of the train with fold up seats for pushchairs and wheel chairs.

I tried to give the train more of a natural look, with comfort, with the wooden furniture effect like you would find at home. Although I could easily change the colours like standard rolling stock

The display saying queens park, is new where it takes the original map/strip of stations, and displays the previous stations of the left, and scrolls right through the stations as it goes along the journey.

Please note that distribution of these pictures is not authorised, unless there is credit to me

Once again guys, what do you think ????

Attachments

• med1comfort.jpg
    med1comfort.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 34
  • med2comfort.jpg
    med2comfort.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 31

Yew

Established Member
Not bad, but the padding looks a little thin!

Status
Not open for further replies.