• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London underground strike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
What type of unit is used to "haul back the cuts machine" and where is it being taken to?

Are you in the right thread Paul?

----------

As for the RMT deciding to go on strike again on reported low turnouts ("Transport for London (TfL) said both ballots had low turnouts, with 33% voting in the ballot over staffing and safety and 49% voting in the Piccadilly line dispute."), the sooner the new laws requiring at least a 75% turnout in strike related matters the better :roll: (But at least Mike "Cash" won't be losing any cash over the strikes)

gavin

RMT: Thousands of London Underground workers to launch ban on overtime from next Wednesday in a dispute over jobs and safety

infobleep

Veteran Member
Are you in the right thread Paul?

----------

As for the RMT deciding to go on strike again on reported low turnouts ("Transport for London (TfL) said both ballots had low turnouts, with 33% voting in the ballot over staffing and safety and 49% voting in the Piccadilly line dispute."), the sooner the new laws requiring at least a 75% turnout in strike related matters the better :roll: (But at least Mike "Cash" won't be losing any cash over the strikes)
If only the same law pill exist for electing MPs and party members of parties. I don't know if for the latter it does.

Some are very keen got unions to be able 's certain percentage but don't seem to care so much about their own organisations.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
If only the same law pill exist for electing MPs and party members of parties. I don't know if for the latter it does.

Some are very keen got unions to be able 's certain percentage but don't seem to care so much about their own organisations.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Members of Parliament who together form the Parliament are all elected by those entitled to vote in the area of their own constituency, regardless of any affiliation whatsoever.

The same cannot be said for public involvement in any trades union elections or ballots.

One cannot compare apples with pears.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Members of Parliament who together form the Parliament are all elected by those entitled to vote in the area of their own constituency, regardless of any affiliation whatsoever.

The same cannot be said for public involvement in any trades union elections or ballots.

One cannot compare apples with pears.
What about political parties? Unless I join I can't vote for members to stand for election.

I know this is getting away but I like the model of everyone being compiled to vote by law and the option none of the above being available.

I don't know if that would work for a trade union as what if someone is ill and couldn't vote. May be they could do something to resolve that side. That way everyone in the union would have a say or else the law would deal with them. In such cases I'd still make the union ballot valid. I'd just deal with those who didn't bother to vote. Just an idea off the top of my head.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

philthetube

Established Member
Sounds terrifying.

There would be advantages to the unions in having minimum turnouts required.

The recent votes from Aslef had very high percentage votes in favour of strikes. The strikes were then well supported. The rmt have had many disputes where they have acted on low turnout and have ended up losing because of poor support.

whoosh

Established Member
Unions must, by law, use postal votes. They cannot use electronic voting, which would be easier and see higher turnouts (of both yes and no votes), but this is not allowed.

Tubeboy

Can you share sources of your updates?

I'm in the RMT. It's true. Overtime ban from Wednesday 23rd November. Dispute is around ticket office closures and job cuts. 900 station staff took voluntary severance and left earlier this year. Whilst LU have taken on some part timers and night tube people, there are still several hundred jobs gone. One of the stations I work at as a Station Supervisor would have three staff on duty most of the day. Now it's me on my own. To say it's stretched would be an understatement. Personally I think the staff and the unions have the lost the battle for the ticket offices

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
I'm in the RMT. It's true. Overtime ban from Wednesday 23rd November. Dispute is around ticket office closures and job cuts. 900 station staff took voluntary severance and left earlier this year. Whilst LU have taken on some part timers and night tube people, there are still several hundred jobs gone. One of the stations I work at as a Station Supervisor would have three staff on duty most of the day. Now it's me on my own. To say it's stretched would be an understatement. Personally I think the staff and the unions have the lost the battle for the ticket offices

I can see some ticket offices coming back within central London where there is a high tourist flow, the ticket offices out in the wilds of zone 6 probably have gone for good.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
I can see some ticket offices coming back within central London where there is a high tourist flow, the ticket offices out in the wilds of zone 6 probably have gone for good.

The best I think anyone is hoping for now is more Visitor Centres within zone 1. They're cheaper to run and can be spun as positive for tourists (because they'll also sell you a bus tour, and tickets to every attraction under the sun, etc.), whilst also avoiding all of the legislation regarding what you can do after you've made a role redundant.

Incidentally, the view from a lot of my colleagues is that the ticket office battle with the Unions was lost at least five or so years ago. The unions should have made more meaningful requests for staffing levels, rather than insisting about ticket offices and losing. But I can't confidently say either way as I wasn't around.

Provided management listen to the concerns coming from the coal face there's no reason why Fit for the Future can't prove to be a success. Certainly many stations in the middle of nowhere didn't need ticket offices, but the issue stems from a one-size (well, four sizes) fits all solution being applied to so many unique environments - Stratford, for example, is a very different kettle of fish to other "destination" stations, such as Highbury & Islington, yet their 'base' staffing model is identical (bar allowances for minimum numbers etc.) - absurd.

Tubeboy

Completely agree with blue goblin. More Visitor centres are the limit that TFL will stretch to. London Travelwatch's report into ticket selling provisions is out at the end of the month.

The union was too slow in reacting to changes the company made to ticket offices over the last 5 years. Company telling ticket clerks that they couldn't do certain transactions, and instructing staff that they'll be disciplined if they did do them. Staff had to tell the public they couldn't do that transaction and they had to use the machines instead. The footfall at the ticket windows then dropped, which is what the company wanted. They got their stats out saying no one uses the ticket office. It was all deliberate on the part of the company. Most clerks were full time, but the offices were on part time hours. The company deliberately killed off ticket offices. The union didn't do enough. I say this as a staunch RMT member.

Last edited:

Railguy1

I do think it was reasonable to remove some ticket offices from lightly used stations. But there were other stations which would have benefited from having them remain.

bramling

Veteran Member
The best I think anyone is hoping for now is more Visitor Centres within zone 1. They're cheaper to run and can be spun as positive for tourists (because they'll also sell you a bus tour, and tickets to every attraction under the sun, etc.), whilst also avoiding all of the legislation regarding what you can do after you've made a role redundant.

Incidentally, the view from a lot of my colleagues is that the ticket office battle with the Unions was lost at least five or so years ago. The unions should have made more meaningful requests for staffing levels, rather than insisting about ticket offices and losing. But I can't confidently say either way as I wasn't around.

Provided management listen to the concerns coming from the coal face there's no reason why Fit for the Future can't prove to be a success. Certainly many stations in the middle of nowhere didn't need ticket offices, but the issue stems from a one-size (well, four sizes) fits all solution being applied to so many unique environments - Stratford, for example, is a very different kettle of fish to other "destination" stations, such as Highbury & Islington, yet their 'base' staffing model is identical (bar allowances for minimum numbers etc.) - absurd.

Personally I think at some stage there will need to be a repair job on the CSM/CSS grade in order for things to work well.

They made the same error of judgement when DMT was messily and wastefully smashed up into TOSM/DTSM, and after 6 years of below-par performance the company has just had to perform a U-turn, with a lot of work necessary to get them back to anything like where they were originally.

Status
Not open for further replies.