• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London underground strike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

455driver

Veteran Member
So they want to introduce a lot of night shifts and think a one off payment of £500 is all that's needed! :lol:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Genuine question - do drivers get extra pay for working nights now? Like, between 2000 and 0500 or something?

(I used to get a small additional amount for hours worked after some time in the evening, but I forget how much it was and what hours were covered, and I think it's all been stopped now in return for higher basic pay anyway).

455driver

Veteran Member
We don't but I knew there were night shifts when I took the job so knew what I was taking on.

chris11256

BBC are reporting the strike will be on July 8th from 21:30.

This suits me perfectly as I'm off work that week. :)

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
We don't but I knew there were night shifts when I took the job so knew what I was taking on.

Quite right, but increasing the number of night turns from 0 or 1 in 20 to maybe 3 in 8 would presumably make a big difference to some people's work life balance.

(As you can tell I have no idea of what night turns are currently worked or proposed!)

Dstock7080

Established Member
Genuine question - do drivers get extra pay for working nights now? Like, between 2000 and 0500 or something?
As we are now salaried no additional payments for extreme shifts are paid.

Another reason for going into dispute are the changes to Framework Agreement, allowing Night shifts to to worked with only 12hrs rest. (Previously aligned as 'early shift' only)

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
As we are now salaried no additional payments for extreme shifts are paid.

That's what I thought. Thanks for confirming.

Another reason for going into dispute are the changes to Framework Agreement, allowing Night shifts to to worked with only 12hrs rest. (Previously aligned as 'early shift' only)

That's not something I'd be happy with.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
There are certain cynics who believe because night tube is unattainable by the target date (nor desired by many within management at all) that a strike is being engineered in order to blame the unions for failure to implement on time.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
There are certain cynics who believe because night tube is unattainable by the target date (nor desired by many within management at all) that a strike is being engineered in order to blame the unions for failure to implement on time.

Now that is cynical! But also believable!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There are already night duties at many depots, but in order to accommodate Night Tube, a lot more night duties will be required.

RMT, Tssa and Unite members are also being balloted over Night Tube, stations changes, and pay; ballots close on June 30th.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Is the intention that night tubes are operated by a dedicated group of 'Only nights' staff - or are staff in general expected to be mixed between night/day shifts ?

lonogrol

Is the intention that night tubes are operated by a dedicated group of 'Only nights' staff - or are staff in general expected to be mixed between night/day shifts ?
Many staff already work nights and they shall continue to work nights that they do work at the mo.

In terms of train op's as someone already said plenty of depots already have night turn drivers. They are planning to give depots the choice whether to resource additional night turns on fri/sat nights by either having part time t-op's or by moving to a link system with them mixed in with the dead lates.

Station supervisors (in the new world Customer Service manager or Customer Service supervisor) already work nights, but the planned rosters would see them doing their own week of nights (as usual) and then at another point in the roster working fri/sat nights for the purpose of covering meal reliefs. In some cases theyd come back to work as an early on a monday!!!

CSA's will be made up of part time nights only staff working 11p.m.-7a.m. fri/sat ... but no-one have said if cover weeks or spare dutys will be used to cover nights.

Service control and duty managers also already work nights, and there has been no information about who will cover for meal reliefs on nights or if there will be any additional support to manage crew reliefs when the job's up the wall or sort out incidents.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Working a Saturday night turn followed by an early on Monday should, quite simply, not be allowed!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Working a Saturday night turn followed by an early on Monday should, quite simply, not be allowed!
I know a regular night man who does a night on Saturday and a dead early on Monday, entirely through choice!

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I know a regular night man who does a night on Saturday and a dead early on Monday, entirely through choice!

Some people just don't know what's good for them :D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Or, finish a Thursday late turn at around 0145 then be ready for two Night shifts starting at around 2230 on Friday, is proposed.

I don't really think that's acceptable either. Not a long enough period in between turns at all for my liking.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Some people just don't know what's good for them :D

Some people used to argue about banked rest days - I managed to get 12 weeks off together and go for a trip round the world with them.
Then there are some people who prefer to stay at work and be a martyr to the cause so that they have reason to indulge in their favourite past time of continual moaning.

Robertj21a

On Moderation

Not sure I understand. Presumably, a Saturday night turn finishes on Sunday about .......08.00 - 09.00 ?. Early Monday start might be 04.30 -ish ?. If it's a 7-day service, how come 18-20 hours break isn't enough ?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Not sure I understand. Presumably, a Saturday night turn finishes on Sunday about .......08.00 - 09.00 ?. Early Monday start might be 04.30 -ish ?. If it's a 7-day service, how come 18-20 hours break isn't enough ?
Have you ever worked nights, or dead earlies?

It is not the time between finishing one shift & starting another (which is subject to legal restrictions), but working out when you will go to sleep. If you go from nights to a dead early then you either have the choice to stay up all day on Sunday (if you can physically manage it, and be extremely tired), or go to sleep like normal when you get home from work, and struggle to get to sleep that night, and be extremely fatigued and tired the next morning when you wake up and are at work.

A-driver

Established Member

Seriously? You can't see the problem?! Read it again and have a good think about it practically.

Where would you sleep? Get home at 0830 on Sunday and sleep until when? 1500 (less than a full nights sleep) then spend a few hours half conscious. For a 0430 start on Monday you probably want to be in bed at 2000. Not going to be easy getting to sleep having woken up at 1500.

Plus it completely writes off your day off which you are not being paid for. They can call it a day off but you will find yourself in an awful, ratty mood and not what most people would call a day off.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Seriously? You can't see the problem?! Read it again and have a good think about it practically.

Where would you sleep? Get home at 0830 on Sunday and sleep until when? 1500 (less than a full nights sleep) then spend a few hours half conscious. For a 0430 start on Monday you probably want to be in bed at 2000. Not going to be easy getting to sleep having woken up at 1500.

Plus it completely writes off your day off which you are not being paid for. They can call it a day off but you will find yourself in an awful, ratty mood and not what most people would call a day off.

Fair enough, it's annoying if it is a regular occurrence, but depends on how often. I've worked much the same arrangement and used to sleep for about 3 hours when I got in. Your body/mind is largely refreshed after that brief time and I was back into a 'normal' day - and sleep pattern - ready for the following morning.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Fair enough, it's annoying if it is a regular occurrence, but depends on how often. I've worked much the same arrangement and used to sleep for about 3 hours when I got in. Your body/mind is largely refreshed after that brief time and I was back into a 'normal' day - and sleep pattern - ready for the following morning.

It's relatively easy to burn the candle at both ends when you're in your 20's.
It gets far, far harder the older you get.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

Surely that's you? I struggle to get by on any less than 8 Hr sleep, and certainly can't have anything more than a brief nap unless I've done a full day between waking up and going back to sleep.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I really struggled with a 2315 Saturday finish and an 0500 start on Monday. Granted, I'd done five straight days of lates, so my body was used to having a lie in, but even if was just one late shift it still wouldn't be easy.

Every one is different but it's the cumulative effect that these sort of change overs have on a person that really worries me. I worked a total of about nine years on all sorts of shift patterns, and I do wonder what the long term effect on me has been.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Two months of working alternate weeks 2-10 p.m. then 6 p.m.to 2 am. back in 1979 and my sleep patterns have never recovered - I was 31 then.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I don't think my sleep patterns have ever recovered fully. They are better now than they were when I was a shift worker, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.