• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Underground Ticket Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

cuna84

Hi guys, I think I know the answer to my own question but I will ask here to double check. I currently hold a Kings Langley to London Zones 1-6 Season and tonight I am visiting a friend who lives near Watford Met. If my memory serves I need to buy a Zone 6 to Watford Met extension single when coming from London this evening? Is this correct?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dzug2

Do such things exist in TfL land? I'd have thought either a zone 7 single ticket or at worst a zone 6-7 single. Both the same price - £4.30

sonic2009

Established Member
Do such things exist in TfL land? I'd have thought either a zone 7 single ticket or at worst a zone 6-7 single. Both the same price - £4.30

I don't believe they do exist any more.

It would be a Moor Park (last zone 6 station) to Watford Met single costing :

£4.30 Cash
£1.50 with oyster 0630-0930 and 1600 to 1900
£1.40 with oyster all other times.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Although you mention your friend lives near Watford Met? would it not be easier to catch a London Midland train to Watford Junction and Walk?

Last edited:

button_boxer

Established Member
The cheapest option at £1.40 (off-peak) or £1.50 (peak) each way would be to use your travelcard as far as Moor Park, get off there and touch in on Oyster PAYG, then get the next train to Watford. If you want to stay on the same train then it'd still be cheaper to use Oyster rather than buy a paper extension if you're travelling off-peak - £3.70 each way for zones 1-7 - or if you're changing trains at Harrow (£1.50 off-peak, £2.10 peak for zones 5-7) or Wembly Park (£1.50 off-peak, £2.60 peak for 4-7).

cuna84

Many thanks guys, my friend lives about 5 mins walk from Watford met and about 20-25 mins walk from watford junction and with the pavements in such condition as they are that's my reasoning behind going to Watford met. So in short it should only cost me £1.50 but would mean getting off the train at moor park. I take it there are no oyster touch in points on the platform at moor park? I guess I could take a fast met train to moor park and whilst waiting for a Watford train, touch in then

button_boxer

Established Member
Many thanks guys, my friend lives about 5 mins walk from Watford met and about 20-25 mins walk from watford junction and with the pavements in such condition as they are that's my reasoning behind going to Watford met. So in short it should only cost me £1.50 but would mean getting off the train at moor park. I take it there are no oyster touch in points on the platform at moor park? I guess I could take a fast met train to moor park and whilst waiting for a Watford train, touch in then

Looks like Moor Park is gated so safest would be to go out of the gate using your paper travelcard and then back in using Oyster and vice-versa in the return direction. Since you don't actually need to put your travelcard through the gate you could, if there's no traffic jam, just reach over the inbound gate to touch the reader on the far side, and coming back you could just touch your Oyster on the "out" gate but not go through it, just turn round and go back to the platform.

34D

Established Member
Aren't there some lines where a z1-6 outboundary is treated as a 1-9?

Can't remember where this is (but either wcml or chiltern route rings a bell) or where I read this though. I may have dreamed it.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Aren't there some lines where a z1-6 outboundary is treated as a 1-9?

Can't remember where this is (but either wcml or chiltern route rings a bell) or where I read this though. I may have dreamed it.
Yes, buy a travelcard from somewhere like Bushey and it will be AAA Zones 7-9 (AAA = also available at).

This only applies from selected origins and not Kings Langley unfortunately.

This is in line with the ATOC policy of keeping things consistently different, which in their strange alternate reality is considered ....

simple.jpg

Good job they don't make it complicated :lol:

barrykas

Established Member
Yes, buy a travelcard from somewhere like Bushey and it will be AAA Zones 7-9 (AAA = also available at).

This only applies from selected origins and not Kings Langley unfortunately.

This is in line with the ATOC policy of keeping things consistently different, which in their strange alternate reality is considered ....

Well...It's more to do with the "unique" way that Hertfordshire and Buckinghamshire County Councils contribute to the funding for Met Line services to Amersham/Chesham.

Quite why Rail Settlement Plan treat Zones 7, 8 and 9 as a route and not a destination like LU do is left as an exercise for the reader, given it causes "issues" when retailing certain tickets. (Such as cross-London "out-boundary" Travelcards, like Chalfont and Latimer - Gerrards Cross).

Cheers,

Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.