• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London's Worst Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thebaz

Out of interest, what’s wrong with East Croydon? Apart from that changing platforms can be a pain due to the long ramps, I’ve never found the place too bad to use, and the clientele isn’t as bad as some of the other places on your list!
Behold - the toilets! Regularly 'refurbished' yet within minutes manage to revert to being as grotty as they've ever been.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Samzino

Once upon a time before its very nice redevelopment, I'd have said Blackfrairs as that station was a horrendous monstrosity. Elephant and Castle is pretty much the last of the London Eye sores as City Thameslink, Blackfriars and St Pancras /King's Cross have all had sprucing up.

Below images are of he old Blackfrairs station.
dg_blackfriars_04.jpg
dg_blackfriars_01.jpg
dg_blackfriars_03.jpg

DustyBin

Established Member
Once upon a time before its very nice redevelopment, I'd have said Blackfrairs as that station was a horrendous monstrosity. Elephant and Castle is pretty much the last of the London Eye sores as City Thameslink, Blackfriars and St Pancras /King's Cross have all had sprucing up.

Below images are of he old Blackfrairs station.
View attachment 145668
View attachment 145669
View attachment 145670

I'm probably in the minority here, but I preferred the old station!

Recessio

Behold - the toilets! Regularly 'refurbished' yet within minutes manage to revert to being as grotty as they've ever been.
Nothing compared to Stratford toilets, which are definitely the worst I've ever seen. They could have used them for that famous scene in Trainspotting, but they would have to clean them up a bit first!

Trackman

Established Member
i was going to suggest this - fairly bleak! Really grotty after the match on a cold January/February evening! ( it is next to the Millwall ground)

There is ( was?) a fenced off path straight into the away section!
Fence is still there.
I am local to South Bermondsey at my london home, and I definitely can agree on this!

It’s very bleak and run-down, particularly the surroundings.
It is glum.

There was a poll of the worst South London railway stations:

outcome:
1. Catford
Catford station is bad in almost every single way possible. Every bit of it is horribly ugly and comparatively few people use it. It also suffers because it is right next to Catford Bridge station, which is both attractive and very useful. We should feel sorry for Catford station, but we don't. We know it's not Catford station's fault that, to quote one commentor on Facebook, "it has more rats than passengers"
2. Hither Green *
Well we've previously described how Hither Green connects quite a good number of services, and is therefore quite useful. However, that doesn't stop it from being an absolute pain to use. For a start, it's got no lifts, and for a station with as many platforms as it has, which is meant to serve such an important interchanging role, it's a nightmare for anyone disabled, elderly, or with a pram.
3. South Bermondsy
Don't go to South Bermondsey station. Just don't do it. Find another way. Walk to Surrey Quays, anything, just don't go to South Bermondsey station.

* and was shortlisted for winner for best station too.. and was the no.3 best station!

bramling

Veteran Member
I really don't agree. It's badly run, but it's bright, big, airy and a great example of Brutalist era architecture. Yes, the platforms are a bit grim, but like New St, bar 8-11, you aren't intended to hang around there.

If we fixed some minor things and changed how it is operated (remembering that we often talk of "the Euston scrum" but the same idiotic thing exists at every London terminal, even genteel little Marylebone), then it'd be great.

I don’t know, in terms of Euston

* It’s hideous from the outside, and not much better inside. The clean 1960s lines are okay in themselves, but there’s been so much subsequent change that it now all just looks a mess. Many would be of the view that it was a mess to begin with
* There isn’t enough space for the numbers now using it
* The access to LU is dire
* The surrounding area is increasingly a dump
* The station operators make it worse with things like the constant stream of PAs, the late boarding of services, and of course the surly gateline arrengements
* Bad enough in normal working, the running of the place collapses during even modest disruption
* And to add a cherry on top of all this, Euston Square LU station is horrible to use as well

If passenger numbers were reduced by about 33 to 50% then, with a few tweaks, it would be ok, if still aesthetically horrible. Perhaps HS2 will eventually achieve exactly that, but it’s essentially a generation away still.

DustyBin

Established Member
Fence is still there.

It is glum.

There was a poll of the worst South London railway stations:

outcome:
1. Catford

2. Hither Green *

3. South Bermondsy

* and was shortlisted for winner for best station too.. and was the no.3 best station!

I feel somewhat vindicated having mentioned Catford upthread!

The exile

Established Member
Its toilets have already had a dishonourable mention - but I’m going to put in a vote for the overcrowded rabbit warren that is Stratford. OK - there are more depressing places, but few that I’m so pleased to leave!

Basil Jet

On Moderation
At least the stations mentioned so far have trains. I think Sudbury & Harrow Road has to be the worst station in London, its only redeeming feature is that it's a short work from Sudbury Town.

RooseWithAZed

DLR: Cutty Sark. Basically a tube station but even more cramped and hot (and the lift hasn't worked for ages)
I can't imagine it's the worst station on the DLR. It gets cold often in my experience and there's that annoying crossfire you get on the intermediate floor on the card readers because the escalators are still knackered, and much like the rest of Greenwich town centre it's full of people bumbling slowly and aimlessly, but it's in a great location and there's not much time you need to spend on the platforms. Lewisham has that problem where it's not obvious you need to tap out before tapping into the NR side to not get a maximum fare. Canning Town is worse than both I think, it's a real maze.

Its toilets have already had a dishonourable mention - but I’m going to put in a vote for the overcrowded rabbit warren that is Stratford. OK - there are more depressing places, but few that I’m so pleased to leave!
Interesting, because I rather like Stratford, perhaps because I remember it in the late 80s with probably half the platforms and definitely half the services. I find it difficult to complain at the immense increase in connectivity there’s been since then.

However, the footbridge is a ludicrous design that allows copious rain onto what must be one of the busiest railway walkways in the country! How its design ever got approval is a mystery to me.
I think because fully enclosed would mean it was covered by the need for added fire safety. But yes, it’s a lovely example of an improvement which didn’t do much improving.

Established Member
Interesting, because I rather like Stratford, perhaps because I remember it in the late 80s with probably half the platforms and definitely half the services. I find it difficult to complain at the immense increase in connectivity there’s been then.
My favourite London station, for all the diversity it provides. Wasn't aware it had any toilets apart from an accessible one near the Jubilee line platforms where you have to ask for the key. Quite how Liverpool St and even Euston have got in this thread is curious too.

Meanwhile a toss up between Clapton and South Bermondsey, both already mentioned.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
In terms of London's termini, I can see why Euston gets mentioned. Liverpool Street is in a different league, so absolutely does not deserve to be included in this thread. It may not be perfect, but to be considered one of the worst termini in London? Absolutely not, I'd suggest Marylebone is one of the worst terminus stations but I'll be here a while about that.

I say that about Euston being a bad terminus, but I have a bit of a soft spot for it. I have spent a lot of time there and a lot of my adventures have had Euston as a part of them. There's almost a weirdly magical feel about the station, which sounds crazy I know, and I would be here a while discussing the reasons.

I'd like to throw a new contender into the ring, not a terminus but a station more befitting of this thread. Willesden Junction. It's not in the same league as Brixton or Loughborough Junction, but certainly worthy of contending in the same league as Peckham Rye which I don't like all that much either. There's a weird vibe in the air at both Willesden Junction and Peckham Rye, which is the best way I can explain that.

Not to mention the rancid facilities at Willesden Junction, which make it a contender without any other reason!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
In terms of London's termini, I can see why Euston gets mentioned. Liverpool Street is in a different league, so absolutely does not deserve to be included in this thread. It may not be perfect, but to be considered one of the worst termini in London? Absolutely not, I'd suggest Marylebone is one of the worst terminus stations but I'll be here a while about that.

Genteel Marylebone the worst? No way. Sure, it needs the wires, and the bogs are in a bit of a state (though that seems to be a common theme at London termini since charges were abolished), but it's just, you know, nice.

I say that about Euston being a bad terminus, but I have a bit of a soft spot for it. I have spent a lot of time there and a lot of my adventures have had Euston as a part of them. There's almost a weirdly magical feel about the station, which sounds crazy I know, and I would be here a while discussing the reasons.

I do wonder if it's my childhood associations with Euston that give me a soft spot for it, though I do think it's operated badly and the new departure boards are rubbish.

I'd like to throw a new contender into the ring, not a terminus but a station more befitting of this thread. Willesden Junction. It's not in the same league as Brixton or Loughborough Junction, but certainly worthy of contending in the same league as Peckham Rye which I don't like all that much either. There's a weird vibe in the air at both Willesden Junction and Peckham Rye, which is the best way I can explain that.

Not to mention the rancid facilities at Willesden Junction, which make it a contender without any other reason!

I was thinking about that one, but it's hugely better under LO management than it was under Silverlink. I think it was on a par with the Southeastern suburbans back then, but it's not quite as grim now.

bramling

Veteran Member
Genteel Marylebone the worst? No way. Sure, it needs the wires, and the bogs are in a bit of a state (though that seems to be a common theme at London termini since charges were abolished), but it's just, you know, nice.

I do wonder if it's my childhood associations with Euston that give me a soft spot for it, though I do think it's operated badly and the new departure boards are rubbish.

I was thinking about that one, but it's hugely better under LO management than it was under Silverlink. I think it was on a par with the Southeastern suburbans back then, but it's not quite as grim now.

Oh yes it does show how things have changed that the Watford new lines haven’t had a mention on here. We no doubt all remember the “personal security issues” which arose during Silverlink days, though I wouldn’t say the stations ever degenerated into that much of a bad state, it was more the scarcity of staff and the local clientele using them. But Stonebridge Park and Harlesden in the evening were a pretty memorable experience, not much better at certain other times of day, and the likes of Willesden Junction and Kensal Green weren’t much better.

I bet the same could be said for a few North London Line stations as well, though even in those days they tended to be busier than the New Lines which presumably suppressed an element of trouble.

TJM

Oh yes it does show how things have changed that the Watford new lines haven’t had a mention on here. We no doubt all remember the “personal security issues” which arose during Silverlink days, though I wouldn’t say the stations ever degenerated into that much of a bad state, it was more the scarcity of staff and the local clientele using them. But Stonebridge Park and Harlesden in the evening were a pretty memorable experience, not much better at certain other times of day, and the likes of Willesden Junction and Kensal Green weren’t much better.

I bet the same could be said for a few North London Line stations as well, though even in those days they tended to be busier than the New Lines which presumably suppressed an element of trouble.
Perhaps a bit off-topic, but I have to question why the British Transport Police weren't patrolling in these historic circumstances?

ynglwz

In my opinion London Marylebone has to be the worst It's just not up to par with other stations in the city. A real disappointment. But with some good funding i think i could be excellent?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
In my opinion London Marylebone has to be the worst It's just not up to par with other stations in the city. A real disappointment. But with some good funding i think i could be excellent?

What would you do with it? It could do with having the bogs refurbed and the area around the Tube tidied up a bit, but is there anything fundamental wrong with it bar the absence of wires?

Revaulx

I see no architectural merit for Euston at all. It is a profoundly ugly station.

Is the concourse really bright and airy? I don't think it is. I've spent significantly more time at Liverpool Street over the years and it is a clearly superior station as far as I'm concerned; one of the better London terminals in fact. A genuinely bright and pleasant concourse and so much less stampeding for trains as it's more sensibly run station.
It was when it opened. There were issues with Euston from the start: bad access to Euston Square; platfoms like they were in a goods or parcels depot rather than a passenger station; basement taxi rank a good idea poorly executed. Lots to like as well though: the concourse was bright, airy, elegant and supremely practical.

The first swathe of damage got inflicated in the early-mid 80s, when a rash of retail units appeared all over it, making it horribly cluttered. Virtually every change since then has made things worse; the price paid for removal of the retail clutter was the addition of the mezzanine, which has lowered much of the ceiling and blocked off a lot of natural light.

Last edited:

bramling

Veteran Member

It’s not as bad as Euston. But I agree Marylebone is a bit of a let-down. It’s kind of typical Chiltern really - “we’re Chiltern and better than everyone else, but we will keep you waiting on the concourse even longer than Branson does, our staff are almost as rude as Euston, and here’s your lovely 2-car DMU for your journey to Birmingham, which when it starts moving will rattle every bit as much as an old class 105 did, but aren’t Chiltern special?”.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It’s not as bad as Euston. But I agree Marylebone is a bit of a let-down. It’s kind of typical Chiltern really - “we’re Chiltern and better than everyone else, but we will keep you waiting on the concourse even longer than Branson does, our staff are almost as rude as Euston, and here’s your lovely 2-car DMU for your journey to Birmingham, which when it starts moving will rattle every bit as much as an old class 105 did, but aren’t Chiltern special?”.

Chiltern is now a typical Arriva operation and is thus a little mediocre. But then Avanti is pretty bad too, but that doesn't really influence my view of Euston as a station.

Amos

Probably not on a par with some of the other contenders, but I really don’t like Northumberland Park.It feels like a cross between a prison and a multi storey car park, and just like South Bermondsey,the walk back from the football ground after a night game can seem a bit hairy.

lxfe_mxtterz

Probably not the worst, but Chessington South feels very desolate and neglected, especially with its graffitied disused platform and the perpetual litter strewn all over the tracks. The entrance is hardly inviting either.

To be fair, the entire Chessington branch feels rather bleak and down-at-heel. I suppose there's a certain charm to it though.

leytongabriel

Some of the GOBLIN line stations were seriously awful pre-Overground. I think Wanstead Park won an Evening Standard award for the 'Worst Station in London'. Miles better now but Green Lanes gets my vote for the platforms with the least facilities related to usage - a couple of half depth mini bus-shelters. The platform is narrow but we need more than that.

Otherwise the Brighton lines side of Victoria - classic example of operational convenience over passegers' interests. The most important services tucked away in the furthest, darkest corner of the station.

eh_oh

I feel some of the MML stations
Hendon and Mill Hill Broadway are a horrible set of platforms with nothing on them next to a motorway
And at Hendon (applies to Cricklewood/Kentish Town too) when your train is late/cancelled and a Rainham train comes through nonstop

Samzino

After Elephant and Castle. Morden South and Hither Green disgust me. Lewisham is mainly bad for the same reasons as Elephant in that it's so out-dated compared to all the redevelopment around it.

Needs a Blackfrairs level sprucing up.

Established Member
The shops are emptying because they still do plan to rebuild the Whitgift. It's not going to be as big as first planned for shops, instead with more homes.

It has been going that way for years, ever since the plan to build a Westfield was floated, and fell through. Sadly I’ll believe any improvement when I see it.

Hither Green

Curious to know what makes you suggest Hither Green, in particular? It’s a little anonymous, I’ll grant you, but better than its immediate neighbours Lewisham and Grove Park.

The interesting wall art in the subway from P3/4 (pics of Hither Green rail crash, Park Fever hospital) and the local craft beer establishment by the same name, make it comfortably better than London’s worst station for me!

Samzino

Curious to know what makes you suggest Hither Green, in particular? It’s a little anonymous, I’ll grant you, but better than its immediate neighbours Lewisham and Grove Park.

The interesting wall art in the subway from P3/4 (pics of Hither Green rail crash, Park Fever hospital) and the local craft beer establishment by the same name, make it comfortably better than London’s worst station for me!

Creaky footbridge almost reminiscent of the one the old Abbey Wood station used to have, corrugated old roofing of which leaks are quite regular and makes you wonder if you'd have been better off standing outside anyway.

Subway at night isn't as bad as Herne Hill's I'll give it that however.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.