• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Long Eaton Flooding

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCR247

Established Member
Does anyone know whereabouts this actually is, as NRE just says 'near long eaton.'

I am just curious as there are no trains between Nottingham and Derby, yet London trains are running normally (with some delays) between Derby/Nottingham - East Mids Parkway?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlexS

Established Member
It's at a place called Draycott, north of Long Eaton station. I believe the EMT Nottingham - Derby service has been knocked on the head to prevent congestion as it has been taking a long time to pass through the flooded section. Some London services have been going via Toton and the Erewash lines.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Yesterday, it was reduced to a 5mph speed limit through the area. I'd had it reported as the area around Sheet Stores Junction, but it would appear that the affected area is north of Long Eaton station itself - I've not actually read an update since 0700 yesterday morning though, as one of our ECS moves had been delayed passing through the area.

dosxuk

Established Member
Heading southbound yesterday, we were held up for over 5 minutes here before going through the flooded area at 5mph, which ended before the M1 overbridge.

MCR247

Established Member
It's at a place called Draycott, north of Long Eaton station. I believe the EMT Nottingham - Derby service has been knocked on the head to prevent congestion as it has been taking a long time to pass through the flooded section. Some London services have been going via Toton and the Erewash lines.

Ah yeah, I know Draycott, didn't realise it was that bad there though :shock:

Oh yeah actually that does make sense.

Thanks everyone :)

burns20

Hope it drains for the 1208 Nottingham to Brum in the 27th. What diversion or suspension are XC using?

O L Leigh

Established Member
If it floods at Sheet Stores we're all in the cart, as the line is on top of a low embankment at that section.

Don't know what it's like today, but apparently it was bad yesterday. An EMT HST apparently went through at normal running speeds in the afternoon which resulted in a broken main air pipe. The 1425 and 1525 arrivals at New Street from Nottingham effectively came in nose-to-tail.

O L Leigh

Mugby

Established Member
This used to be a very regular problem at Draycott. Some years ago, a lot of drainage work was done to prevent the problem recurring. Obviously the recent weather has overwhelmed the drainage yet again.

I arrived in Derby this evening off the 1545 Cardiff - Nottingham which was terminated at Derby at 1833. Nottingham passengers were advised to make their way to the station front for road transport.

There wasn't any road transport evident as I left the station.

pjnathanail

That'll be because the buses depart from the Back of the station in the car park.

They ought to! I wanted to get the 1240 today, but it was cancelled. No replacement transport off XC, directed onto the 1314 EMT bus. This arrived at 1345, was packed and I didn't get a seat. Another XC bus was due at 1400 (The 1340 XC service was cancelled too!), and this arrived at 1445 and was packed. I got on but 25 more didnt-it was total chaos with connections missed at Nottingham and no EMT/XC staff in evidence. After the first bus left full I would have ordered taxis! Sadly I only get 1.90 compensation as I was on a cheap ticket...

Hope it drains for the 1208 Nottingham to Brum in the 27th. What diversion or suspension are XC using?

CrossCountry services were starting and terminating at Derby. Customers for stations between Derby and Nottingham advised to change at Leicester as only EMT express services from Derby were going through

MCR247

Established Member
Don't know what it's like today, but apparently it was bad yesterday. An EMT HST apparently went through at normal running speeds in the afternoon which resulted in a broken main air pipe.

O L Leigh

Yeah you can see the train in the video above your post :)

the sniper

Established Member

Don't know what it's like today, but apparently it was bad yesterday. An EMT HST apparently went through at normal running speeds in the afternoon which resulted in a broken main air pipe. The 1425 and 1525 arrivals at New Street from Nottingham effectively came in nose-to-tail.

O L Leigh

;)

EDIT: Somewhat ironically I missed the post above mine here from MCR247. :oops:

O L Leigh

Established Member
I don't tend to follow posted links without some reason. Just posting a link without saying what it's about is a sure-fire way for me to ignore it.

O L Leigh

the sniper

Established Member
I don't tend to follow posted links without some reason. Just posting a link without saying what it's about is a sure-fire way for me to ignore it.

O L Leigh

I appreciate that. I only followed it because I trust the site and the URL pretty much described the contents. :smile:

brianthegiant

If I'm not mistaken the affected area also flooded in the last big floods. I came through it on a Nottingham-Matlock train on the 24th Nov. From what I could see the water was just below the top of the adjacent tracks.

Given it's flooded twice this year after work on the drainage and there wasn't any permanent damage. I wonder if this flooding point could be solved by raising the track level with more ballast for that section, or if bridge clearances would prohibit that approach? Certainly it's not in a tunnel or on an embankment.

burns20

Has anyone any knowledge on whether Draycott will have reopened by lunchtime tmrw with the continuous wet weather over xmas? My plan was to catch the 1044 Hykeham to Nottingham and then 1208 Nottingham to Birmingham (Advance held). Now plan to catch the 0843 Hykeham to Nottingham to allow for any disruption.

SteamPower

Has anyone any knowledge on whether Draycott will have reopened by lunchtime tmrw with the continuous wet weather over xmas? My plan was to catch the 1044 Hykeham to Nottingham and then 1208 Nottingham to Birmingham (Advance held). Now plan to catch the 0843 Hykeham to Nottingham to allow for any disruption.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/indicator.html

Keep an eye on this if you can, there's nothing at the moment to suggest flooding is expected to cause disruption in the draycott area when services resume in a few hours

GadgetMan

Normal working so you should be OK. They have pumps running on site keeping it clear of water.

burns20

Thanks, had been keeping an eye on NRE but was worried that no one was updating it. I'm travelling to the Cambrian Coast from Lincolnshire so can't afford any delays really.

Thank you both again

Status
Not open for further replies.