• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Long Routes needed to go between Two Stations in same city...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Here's a good one that no one has said yet:

Wakefield Westgate - Leeds - Harrogate - York - Church Fenton - Castleford - Wakefield Kirkgate

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not sure I understand - you don't have to go that route and if you're just interested in doing it a really long way why not go via London?

IanPooleTrains

Established Member
You can get a direct train between the two.

Plus do any trains go from Church Fenton to Castleford???

I'm not sure I understand - you don't have to go that route and if you're just interested in doing it a really long way why not go via London?

One would like to remind you of the rules:

Long Routes needed to go between Two Stations in same town...

Stations used have to TECHNICALLY be in the same town or city...

EXCLUDING London Routes...

bradders1983

I think your being a bit of an arse :)

The object of the game is obviously to find the longest route which you HAVE to take in order to get between two stations in the same town/city, but the shortest way.

You could do Manc Picc to Manc Victoria via Aberdeen, but that defeats the object. The shortest would be Manc Picc to Salford Central to Manc Vic. Still a long winded route, though.

4SRKT

Established Member
Frankly anyone who found himself in the unfortunate position of actually being at Wakefield Kirkgate would want to get out of there by the shortest possible route!

12CSVT

Established Member
Tyndrum. (Sorry, that's a village not a town)

Deerfold

Veteran Member

I've highlighted part of your reminder to me of the rules to remind you.

One would? Bit haughty?

OK, Edinburgh or anything else ridiculous and not required.

imagination

Bicester Town - Oxford - Banbury - Bicester North

Though it wont be that far for much longer :p

richw

Veteran Member
st budeax ferry road, and st budeaux victoria road, is probably the biggest ratio based on how close they are yet how far you have to travel to get to the other! stations are no more than 50 metres apart by walking but to go by train its about a 8 or 9 mile journey (google maps distance)!
ferry road-plymouth and then back to victoria road!

4SRKT

Established Member
st budeax ferry road, and st budeaux victoria road, is probably the biggest ratio based on how close they are yet how far you have to travel to get to the other! stations are no more than 50 metres apart by walking but to go by train its about a 8 or 9 mile journey (google maps distance)!
ferry road-plymouth and then back to victoria road!

Would Wigan Wallgate to Wigan North Western beat this? They are as close as the St Budeaux stations, but I suspect you have to go a lot further from one before you can come back to the other.

12CSVT

Established Member
Would Wigan Wallgate to Wigan North Western beat this? They are as close as the St Budeaux stations, but I suspect you have to go a lot further from one before you can come back to the other.

The crossovers between the WCML and Southport - Manchester line are just off the end of platform 1 at Wigan North Western, so with one reversal you could possibly do it in less than 1/4 mile.

4SRKT

Established Member
The crossovers between the WCML and Southport - Manchester line are just off the end of platform 1 at Wigan North Western, so with one reversal you could possibly do it in less than 1/4 mile.

I thought you had to do it on service trains. Otherwise you wouldn't have to come into Plymouth to get between the St Budeaux stations, or in the OP's first post you could get from Pontefract Monkhill to Baghill via a simple reversal at Ferrybridge rather than going all round the houses.

12CSVT

Established Member
I thought you had to do it on service trains. Otherwise you wouldn't have to come into Plymouth to get between the St Budeaux stations, or in the OP's first post you could get from Pontefract Monkhill to Baghill via a simple reversal at Ferrybridge rather than going all round the houses.

Didnt realise that being able to do it on service trains was specified by the OP

4SRKT

Established Member
Didnt realise that being able to do it on service trains was specified by the OP

He didn't actually say it, but if he hadn't meant it then he wouldn't have gone Baghill > Moorthorpe > Westgate > Monkhill in his first post. He would have gone Baghill > Ferrybridge > Monkhill.

Bastiaan

Enfield Town - Enfield Chase (or is this counted as "London"?)
Via Seven Sisters - Stratford - Highbury & Islington would be the best route I think?

St. Albans Abbey - St. Albans, via Watford Junction - Bletchley - Bedford?

Birmingham New Street - Birmingham Moor Street or Snow Hill (obvious one)
Via Smethwich Galton Bridge, not really a long route

Warrington Central - Warrington Bank Quay. Is that one possible via Liverpool Lime Street and Newton-le-Willows?

Last edited:

A couple on the Southern

Dorking North to Dorking Town Dorking North to Clapham Jn, Clapham Jn to Guildford, Guildford to Dorking Town. Or could go Clapham Jn to Redhill, Redhill to Dorking Town.

On a similar tack Edenbridge to Edenbridge Town

Edenbridge to Redhill, Redhill to East Croydon, East Croydon to Edenbridge Town.

CheekyBandit

Or even better...

Tamworth LL - Nuneaton - Water Orton - Tamworth HL

If you can have that then:

Retford LL - Retford HL: for most journeys Retford LL-Sheffield-Doncaster-Retford HL, though some of it can be cut out by Worksop to Doncaster buses which pass Worksop station.

Meadowhall (P1/P2) - Sheffield - Meadowhall (P3/P4)

Maidstone East - Ashford International - Hollingbourne.

Given that Hollingbourne comes under Maidstone local authority it TECHNICALLY counts. Although there is a direct service from Maidstone to Hollingbourne the extra bit was to help a relative who uses a wheelchair change platforms in order to leave the station - once it might have been a bit easier: http://www.kentrail.co.uk/Hollingbourne_signal_box.jpg

Last edited:

4SRKT

Established Member
If you can have that then:

Retford LL - Retford HL: for most journeys Retford LL-Sheffield-Doncaster-Retford HL, though some of it can be cut out by Worksop to Doncaster buses which pass Worksop station.

Meadowhall (P1/P2) - Sheffield - Meadowhall (P3/P4)

Maidstone East - Ashford International - Hollingbourne.

Given that Hollingbourne comes under Maidstone local authority it TECHNICALLY counts. Although there is a direct service from Maidstone to Hollingbourne the extra bit was to help a relative who uses a wheelchair change platforms in order to leave the station.

Hollingbourne is also in the Royal Mail post town Maidstone, but that's a very wide ranging definition that would make this quiz very different.

CheekyBandit

Hollingbourne is also in the Royal Mail post town Maidstone, but that's a very wide ranging definition that would make this quiz very different.

A dubious one - but an actual journey I made (on a Maidstone - Hollingbourne single ticket IIRC) as it is quite hard to get someone in a wheelchair from one side to the other and the exit via four flights of stairs. For that reason I would add Rotherham Central - Swinton or Meadowhall - Rotherham Central as Rotherham at the moment is being sorted out.

Folkestone Harbour (still technically open me thinks despite nowt going there) - Folkestone Central I am working on.

Last edited:

4SRKT

Established Member
Botanic and City Hospital stations in Belfast are 1/4 mile apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.