• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Looking for thread on long routes that no longer exist

Status
Not open for further replies.

telstarbox

Established Member
Hi,

I'm looking for a thread which I read on this site a few months back. It was about long routes which are now run as several shorter routes (requiring changes) such as Brighton - Birmingham I think? If anyone knows the thread I mean could they please post it? Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richw

Veteran Member
Penzance-cardiff is one i used to use a lot! and Penzance- manchester picadilly!

route101

Established Member
Edinburgh to Brighton with xc .
Glasgow to Kyle?
Newcastle to Stranraer .
Glasgow to Bournemouth . Does this still run?
Aberdeen to Penzance?? Need to check that one..
Edinburgh to Cardiff
Leeds to Glasgow via Settle.
hehe :D Glasgow Queen st to Scarborough and Kings Cross
Glasgow to Paddington.
Scotland to Liverpool
Nottingham to Scotland.
Im sure there are loads....;)

9K43

Penzance-cardiff is one i used to use a lot! and Penzance- manchester picadilly!

I rode on the PZ Man Pii train from St Erth to Parr 2 months ago.
Consisting of a 4 car set, which was packed solid after 4 station stops.

sonic2009

Established Member
I rode on the PZ Man Pii train from St Erth to Parr 2 months ago.
Consisting of a 4 car set, which was packed solid after 4 station stops.

obviously this was not the old route the train used to take under wessex/wales and borders, which use to go to bristol,severn tunnel,avoid newport and up through hereford. formed of normally 2 car 158. i think this stopped 2004/2005. your on about the XC service via birmingham from penzance to manchester piccadily.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Edinburgh to Brighton with xc .
Glasgow to Kyle?
Newcastle to Stranraer .
Glasgow to Bournemouth . Does this still run?
Aberdeen to Penzance?? Need to check that one..
Edinburgh to Cardiff
Leeds to Glasgow via Settle.
hehe :D Glasgow Queen st to Scarborough and Kings Cross
Glasgow to Paddington.
Scotland to Liverpool
Nottingham to Scotland.
Im sure there are loads....;)

aberdeen to penzance still exists.

0820 Aberdeen to Penzance 2143

me123

Established Member
Aberdeen to penzance still exists.

0820 Aberdeen to Penzance 2143

However, am I correct in saying that there's no return journey? I can't find any direct trains on the return journey. So Aberdeen-Penzance is still there, but Penzance-Aberdeen doesn't currently exist!

The most obvious one would be Glasgow-South West via Birmingham and the WCML. OK, there's a couple of trains via the ECML, at the moment, but it's only two a day. And it's a lot longer than what it was unless you want to change at Birmingham New Street.

That all said, the increased ECML offering coming to Glasgow soon will see more frequent trains to the South West, even if it is still via the slower ECML route.

richw

Veteran Member
obviously this was not the old route the train used to take under wessex/wales and borders, which use to go to bristol,severn tunnel,avoid newport and up through hereford. formed of normally 2 car 158. i think this stopped 2004/2005. your on about the XC service via birmingham from penzance to manchester piccadily.

i was referring to the wessex one, virgin also operated the route via birmingham, which last time i used was loco hauled! how long ago was this, it departed from truro at around 10 am on a saturday and i used it at least once a month
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
penzance to portsmouth harbour wessex trains 2 car 158

welshdragon

York - Tenby (summer Saturday up until late 80s)
Tenby - York (summer Saturday up until late 80s)

To be pedantic for a moment, the summer Saturday London services ran to Tenby rather than Pembroke Dock as at present

Cardiff Central - Plymouth
Plymouth - Cardiff Central

Swansea - Manchester + rtn via Cardiff, Gloucester, Chetenham Spa, Birmingham NS etc (via Chepstow, Lydney line). Also applied to Cardiff - Newcastle + rtn services and Swansea - Leeds services for many years up until the early 80's (used to moved 1013 Western Ranger up to NRM in 1977 (?)).

There was Swansea - York service too up until mid 90s using 47 + 6-7 mkII, which I seem to recall returned later in the day. Virgin XC also operated a voyager down from Leeds - Swansea (06.15 ex Leeds), retuning to Edinburgh around 12.30 ex Swansea - that was before the end of XC to Swansea.

I also recall a Cardiff - Liverpool service during the late 80's when those awful class 155s took over from loco hauled services on regional railways long distance services from Cardiff :cry: Then they broke down and spent several months sitting in the sidings at Cardiff Cathays in 1988-1989 :)

Also a vague recollection of a Cardiff - Hull service using dmus in the mid 80s, but I don't think that this one lasted too long.

Wasn't there a Bristol - Inverness at sometime in the mid 80s too? left Bristol around 08.00 - 09.00? I seem to remember a cl 50 on Plat 3 at BTM with an Inverness service when taking a PMH-CDF class 33 service from plat 5 around that time.

Happy for anyone to correct anything here (South Wales bias due to location!). Just throwing in a few things.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.