• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Looking for tickets for the fringe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laketop

Hi all,

I am looking to travel to the fringe this summer and would like to travel by train. I will be going with a friend and we both have 16-25 railcards. We are trying to book in advance as we can to save cost. As it goes our goal is to get the cheapest fare, so travel time, despite the long journey as it is, isn't too much of an issue.

We are travelling from Southampton on the 13th of August to go to Edinburgh, and need to travel back on the 29th of August. It seems tickets are available on the outgoing but there does not seem to be tickets available to return so we weren't sure when to buy. With that, is there a date known when the tickets will be released?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Porty

Hi all,

I am looking to travel to the fringe this summer and would like to travel by train. I will be going with a friend and we both have 16-25 railcards. We are trying to book in advance as we can to save cost. As it goes our goal is to get the cheapest fare, so travel time, despite the long journey as it is, isn't too much of an issue.

We are travelling from Southampton on the 13th of August to go to Edinburgh, and need to travel back on the 29th of August. It seems tickets are available on the outgoing but there does not seem to be tickets available to return so we weren't sure when to buy. With that, is there a date known when the tickets will be released?
Don't know the answer to your precise question but based on past August experience it's been hardly worthwhile getting tickets in advance to Edinburgh from the south. The savings over a walk-up off peak fare may be only a few pounds. Check carefully whether it's worth it as the benefits of a regular off-peak return (ability to wait until the last minute to purchase, break of journey options and flexibility of return leg) may outweigh the very modest saving.

Certainly check the options of splitting tickets.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Hi all,

LNER London-Edinburgh is available as much as six months in advance, so its likely the cheaper advance ticket tiers are sold now or limited in number. Southampton to London less so, and as Porty says, the advances from there through to Edinburgh are not quite as good a deal.

Try Trainsplit to see if splitting saves you more money.

Laketop

LNER London-Edinburgh is available as much as six months in advance, so its likely the cheaper advance ticket tiers are sold now or limited in number. Southampton to London less so, and as Porty says, the advances from there through to Edinburgh are not quite as good a deal.

Try Trainsplit to see if splitting saves you more money.
Don't know the answer to your precise question but based on past August experience it's been hardly worthwhile getting tickets in advance to Edinburgh from the south. The savings over a walk-up off peak fare may be only a few pounds. Check carefully whether it's worth it as the benefits of a regular off-peak return (ability to wait until the last minute to purchase, break of journey options and flexibility of return leg) may outweigh the very modest saving.

Certainly check the options of splitting tickets.
Thank you both,

I was of the assumption advance tickets are only released 8-12 weeks prior so seems I have been unnecessarily waiting. I have tried trainsplit but it is either giving me fairly expensive tickets or nothing at all for the return journey

Deerfold

Veteran Member
LNER have only released tickets to 26 August unless you use their own website. They are available from there between London and Edinburgh.

They do offer a service to sign up for an e-mail when they're released.

This link lists when advance tickets are available to:

Lumo are only available to 26 August. If you're not tied to any particular time, they may be a good bet (though you'd have to buy ticket separately to London)

Last edited:

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Thank you both,

I was of the assumption advance tickets are only released 8-12 weeks prior so seems I have been unnecessarily waiting. I have tried trainsplit but it is either giving me fairly expensive tickets or nothing at all for the return journey
Probably the Southampton leg is causing the issue, LNER are presently selling London/Edinburgh advances into mid-September.

Trying to purchase for the 13th from Southampton on LNER brings up a message that the weekend timetable for those dates is still being finalised.

So as Deerfold suggests setting up a ticket alert might be the best bet.

A S Leib

If you're not tied to any particular time, they may be a good bet (though you'd have to buy ticket separately to London)
For Southampton shouldn't they be fine with a single ticket unless they have a pressing desire to go via Chichester?

https://www.lumo.co.uk/tickets/other-operators-tickets

We also have a few tickets to allow you through journeys to destinations off our network, which will include both Lumo and the other operator name, such as “Lumo and SWR Only” -these can of course be used on our trains too.

Status
Not open for further replies.