• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Looking to make a new forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJ

Established Member
Right, I'm done with crappy ad filled forums and the free stuff. I've found a decent free host. It is paid for by a 'post to host' basis, where I post on their main forum and click ads in return for some decent hosting (subdomain). I now have my own site (not up yet), but I've began learning PHP. I've got the scripts and I've added a quick reply box (my first mod). I've decided that the forum will be dedicated to all kinds of digital photography. I'm going to contact the camera manufacters to ask if I can put their product information on my site. I may even start a mailing list/newsletter.

I've decided to implement a system where moderators can do extra stuff like ban people, edit accounts and that sort of thing. I need somebody with mysql skills to help me out with this mod though.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

T

Tom

In personal experience, I have generally found it a bad idea to give moderators more power than edit accounts (except on here, where I have given permission to ban before). To ban accounts why dont you install the Colour Card mod if you are in phpBB?

The Snap

Established Member
tubechallenger said:
In personal experience, I have generally found it a bad idea to give moderators more power than edit accounts (except on here, where I have given permission to ban before). To ban accounts why dont you install the Colour Card mod if you are in phpBB?

Just put of intrest, has anyone ever been banned fro railUK, and if so, who, and why? :?:

RJ

Established Member
tubechallenger said:

Ok, well I trust your word as I see that this forum is very well managed. When I get things up and running, hopefully I'll find some trustworthy members and allow them to have a bit more power than messing around with topics.

http://lseplus.talkhost.info/forum/index.php

I haven't done any obvious configuring, but this is what I have so far, what do you all think of the style? The quick reply box only works with subsilver right now, but I'll fix that later.

Jim

Established Member
Rich said:
tubechallenger said:

Just put of intrest, has anyone ever been banned fro railUK, and if so, who, and why? :?:

Is it really your business why?!?

TAS

Jim said:
Rich said:
tubechallenger said:

Is it really your business why?!?
Or who for that matter :?:
EDIT: The site sounds interesting, when its up and working I'll have a look.

Tom B

Established Member
I've deleted one response on this, can we not discuss past bans, who they were handed out to etc and focus on the OP?

Rich said:
tubechallenger said:

Tis a bit nosey Rich.

Its not your business to know who has or has not beeen banned and for what for.

If you take note of things in more depth you will notice.

jdjonnay

What tickles me is when people set up forums just because they're bored. Theres a million and one forums all dedicated to digital photography, 3 or 4 of which are probably really doing well. Sorry to stamp on your fire Joe, but this new forum will enivatibley just end up with maybe 3 posters, and eventually you'll loose interest in it and abandon it.

But hey, if it wastes away an hour whilst you set it up, go for it.

Nitro

jdjonnay said:
What tickles me is when people set up forums just because they're bored. Theres a million and one forums all dedicated to digital photography, 3 or 4 of which are probably really doing well. Sorry to stamp on your fire Joe, but this new forum will enivatibley just end up with maybe 3 posters, and eventually you'll loose interest in it and abandon it.

But hey, if it wastes away an hour whilst you set it up, go for it.

Hey dont you think thats abit harsh :roll: , you shouldn't bring him down just because there alot of forums for digital photography I for one like the idea as you never know. It might became a great forum one day.

T

Tom

There are a lot of forums based around the UK Railway scene, we still did it and look where we are today?

Dave A

Well, from what I've heard, RailUK was around before it returned in april, so it was known, plus being on its own server makes it very unique and the fact you have some high profile members, its pretty much invented itself! :P

I think its worth a try, proboards alone hosts over 1 million forums, and I'm sure most of them aren't very well established! The key is to make sure it actually stays around. If you can rely on it being there the next month, then people will feel more confident that they are not wasting there time.

Also, looks aren't everything, it relies more on what you have to offer. RailUK is based on the subsilver theme by phpbb, nothing special about that, but what is special is the content!

Finally, choose your staff, if any, very carefully! Don't choose the first person who asks, or people with a bad reputation on forums, have the right amount and if they can offer anything special, like something other people don't know, then you have yourself a great staff member!

Good luck! :D

Tom B

Established Member
Don't appoint staff members because you want to give your mates something to do. A forum with ten members doesn't need eight moderators.

RJ

Established Member
Cheers for the tips. I intend on making the website dedicated to cameras and all the peripherals etc. I noticed that standalone forums which offer a wide range of discussions from the beginning don't do well. I'm just trying to attract people who are interested in taking pictures of anything, but not quite yet, as the main site isn't up. Also, I'm not advertising it until the main site is up, as has been said, there are a lot of photography forums which I'm sure have other stuff which interests people.

I'm not interested in having any staff yet, as I'm yet to finish designing the site. I hope to pick up a few skills in the process, like HTML and PHP. I like custom styles and NO ADS, so once I'm finished with it all, I will begin to advertise and see how it goes from there. Once again, thanks for the comments and suggestions.

Guinness

Established Member
  • A forum on its own doesn't tend to 'sell, sell, sell' some form of website would be good to accompany the site and try to make look similar
  • Don't have too many boards over the same subject e.g. TOCs, FOCs, Signalling etc. can all fall into General National Rail.
  • Talk to yourself! A starting forum could always do with new members and posts so create more users and start talking to yourself
  • Don't have too many mods! I find the ratio of 40 users to 1 mod (plus 2 administators/mods) works well
  • Be friendly! Mingle in with the users and certainly don't act as the bully mod!

Good luck with your forum! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.