• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LOROL work week example

Status
Not open for further replies.

iWantIn

Hello all. hope youre all good. Ive been looking at the different TOC's driver programmes and i just wanted to know what the roster is like for drivers who work for LOROL. Id appreciate it if any one could shed some light on their working pattern i.e i know souther is a 4 week rotating roster, what is it like for LOROL?

any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
We do have some LO drivers here, hopefully you'll get a reply shortly. (I've sent one a PM) :)

Latecomer

Hi. I can only advise you on the rosters for the ELL. We work a 4 day week with a 'long weekend' once every 4 weeks. Depending on your link the long weekend will be either 5 or 6 straight days off. There are 4 links but there is no seniority to determine which link you opt in to. Most people choose on the basis of the rest day pattern..You get one complete weekend off out of two ( some links work two weekends in a row and have two off, others alternate between one on one off. The long weekend encompasses a weekend say from Thurs to Tues. You don't work the exact same pattern every 4 weeks but you know 6 months in advance what your roster is and people do do swaps. There is a generous 8 weeks annual leave with 5 weeks issued (one early spring one late spring two summer and one winter). 3 weeks is ad hoc which you can take as and when (as single days if you wish), but obviously weeks like Xmas get full up)

Sundays are inside but because the baseline pay is amongst the best working rest days you get flat rate ( although minimum 8 hours even if rostered for 7). Quite a few drivers don't bother to work rest days. Spare turns actually sat spare are quite rare these days so you find you are working pretty hard most times you are in.. They are looking to review some of the worst diagrams because some can be quite full on. Passing is quite rare.

T&C,s are decent although obviously we sold the Sundays. The pension scheme is in a strong financial position and very decent. PM me if you want any more info. If it is NLL work you are interested in then I can't really help on their roster.

Last edited:

iWantIn

Yorkie your the man thanks a lot.

Latecomer thanks thanks thanks...just the info i needed.

OK im sold i want to be a LOROL driver.

Latecomer ill PM you.
Yorkie, cheers

mindthedoors

I was going to start a new thread but it's keeping it relevant.

Chingford is going to LOROL and I was wondering what sort of changes the drivers should expect?
We currently work a 4 day, 35 hour week (Sundays optional) No sign on before 5am. Jobs vary between 5 -10 headcodes, but we worry this could increase under new management. Is it true LOROL make drivers attend a monthly SIM run (We currently only do an annual one under Greater Anglia).

Thanks

Latecomer

I was going to start a new thread but it's keeping it relevant.

Chingford is going to LOROL and I was wondering what sort of changes the drivers should expect?
We currently work a 4 day, 35 hour week (Sundays optional) No sign on before 5am. Jobs vary between 5 -10 headcodes, but we worry this could increase under new management. Is it true LOROL make drivers attend a monthly SIM run (We currently only do an annual one under Greater Anglia).

Thanks
Your terms and conditions should be TUPE'd over initially and anything after that would be done via negotiation. We also operate a 4 day week but our Sundays are inside. We do have book-ons from 4.15am and there are perhaps about 15 turns that book on before 5am. I would have thought that at some point LOROL (or whoever continue the concession) might want to look at some of those things and it would be up to you and your union what you decide to sell (if anything) for an enhanced wage.

No it is not true that we do a monthly sim! There wouldn't be the capacity to run sims for 400 drivers and run trainee courses! Even if a driver is under special measures that would probably just mean a few ride outs with a manager and then DI if required. Rules are yearly and most managers only put you through a sim assessment once every two years.

otomous

How do you find the work ie full on stoppers? How many round trips in a typical day - if there is a typical day?

Skoodle

A typical day on the ELL, without starting or finishing in depot is as follows:

Book on at depot, walk to New Cross Gate and pick up train.

New Cross Gate Dep 0707
Crystal Palace Arr 0721 Dep 0728
Highbury & Islington Arr 0808 Dep 0817
Clapham Junction Arr 0905 Dep 0914
Highbury & Islington Arr 1001 Dep 1010
New Cross Gate Arr 1036
PNB
New Cross Gate Dep 1147
West Croydon Arr 1212 Dep 1219
Dalston Junction Arr 1307 Dep 1319
New Cross Arr 1341 Dep 1352
Dalston Junction Arr 1413 Dep 1425
New Cross Gate Arr 1446
Finish

The worst diagrams are when you do a double Palace / Clapham. Some people prefer going to Clapham, some prefer the Croydons. Personally I prefer doing the Palace / Clapham rounders as even though its longer by about half an hour, you're always on the move and it seems to go quicker.

It's pretty easy compared to other TOCs, not having to worry about different formation lengths, stopping at every station so fail to calls aren't an issue either. Between Surrey Quays and end of line we don't bother with the timetable, we just unload/load and go.

otomous

A typical day on the ELL, without starting or finishing in depot is as follows:

Book on at depot, walk to New Cross Gate and pick up train.

New Cross Gate Dep 0707
Crystal Palace Arr 0721 Dep 0728
Highbury & Islington Arr 0808 Dep 0817
Clapham Junction Arr 0905 Dep 0914
Highbury & Islington Arr 1001 Dep 1010
New Cross Gate Arr 1036
PNB
New Cross Gate Dep 1147
West Croydon Arr 1212 Dep 1219
Dalston Junction Arr 1307 Dep 1319
New Cross Arr 1341 Dep 1352
Dalston Junction Arr 1413 Dep 1425
New Cross Gate Arr 1446
Finish

The worst diagrams are when you do a double Palace / Clapham. Some people prefer going to Clapham, some prefer the Croydons. Personally I prefer doing the Palace / Clapham rounders as even though its longer by about half an hour, you're always on the move and it seems to go quicker.

It's pretty easy compared to other TOCs, not having to worry about different formation lengths, stopping at every station so fail to calls aren't an issue either. Between Surrey Quays and end of line we don't bother with the timetable, we just unload/load and go.

Not having to worry about different formations and stopping patterns - that's always nice :) I think we might be better off not bothering with the timetable on selected bits of the network - so difficult to keep to it at times, usually following a LOROL;)

Latecomer

Skoodle is right in a lot of respects about not having to worry about formations etc. The only thing I would say though is that some people who have moved over to us find the work intense. There isn't much down time and the number of stops and short signal sections do increase the possibility for certain types of incident. Some find the tunnel core section monotonous because you probably do it 8 times a day, but you are only in the tunnels about 12 minutes each way. The views from the elevated section above Hoxton and also parts of the SLL provide more interest than a lot of metro routes.

Don't expect to be sat spare too often or to have much passing and you need full concentration when things slow up on the core but if you can take that in your stride you get good recompense.

Status
Not open for further replies.