• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Loss of taste and sense of smell now official symptoms of coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tom B

Established Member
I only experienced it a few days after my positive rest result; it remains now, despite other symptoms having passed (other than extreme tiredness).

Tom B

Established Member
So does this mean B&M will be asked to provide a list of customers who have bought their home accessories to assist with contact tracing?

It disappoints me that we don't have a "like" feature on this board...!

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Wonderful!!

No thought that one of the effects of my hay fever is my loss of taste!

thejuggler

Family members have suffered these symptons. We suspected mild Covid as beforehand they had a few aches and pains and debilitating headaches.

9 weeks later one member is still suffering and has had steroid nasal spray for a couple of weeks which is easing the problem.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It can also give you a sore throat and headache.

And those of us with asthma can't judge on breathing difficulties as those are par for the course.

I don't think there is any sense in being absolutist about this. You know what's par for the course with you. It's just a case of noticing things that are not par for the course, and then isolating and booking a test if you notice them.

kieron

Established Member
There's a long list of symptoms for COVID-19 on the WHO web site. It says:

The most common symptoms of COVID-19 are fever, dry cough, and tiredness. Other symptoms that are less common and may affect some patients include aches and pains, nasal congestion, headache, conjunctivitis, sore throat, diarrhea, loss of taste or smell or a rash on skin or discoloration of fingers or toes. These symptoms are usually mild and begin gradually.

The government can decide what to include or exclude in the things it publishes, of course.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The government can decide what to include or exclude in the things it publishes, of course.

And it does need to bear in mind that medical advice is not the only horse in town. Make it too wide and the country shuts down again as everyone with hay fever or mild asthma self-isolates just in case, and the testing facilities are overwhelmed.

There won't be many colds at the moment, but all of those other things are extremely common symptoms of other things, most notably the likes of hay fever. The advantage of loss of smell/taste is that they are extremely rare (though my Mum lost her sense of smell permanently a few years ago, it does sometimes happen, often as a post-viral thing) and seem to be common in COVID.

Status
Not open for further replies.