• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lost Penalty Fare Notice

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiliKitten

I received a £20 penalty fare about 18 days ago, but just before posting it to pay it, it has disappeared. I really don't want to have to pay more just because I lost and couldn't pay for it. Is there anything I can do? Please reply as quickly as possible because obviously I have very little time to sort anything out.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clip

Established Member
Have you called the TOC who issued it before you came on here for advice?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
National Rail? Or South East?

National Rail is not a train company. It is a brand that all train companies work under. Network South East was the brand of a sector of British Rail, hence also not a train company.

If you could provide some more details as to where you travelled to/from and where you were caught, forum members may be able to work out which company it was.

I don't know what that is...

Train Operating Company.

cuccir

Established Member
It's likely from your description so far that it's 'Southeastern'. If you know the company you can contact them to pay! As bb21 says, we can probably tell you which company it was if you tell us the journey you made.

LiliKitten

It's likely from your description so far that it's 'Southeastern'. If you know the company you can contact them to pay! As bb21 says, we can probably tell you which company it was if you tell us the journey you made.

I have phoned them, and written to them. The phone call was unsuccessful as they gave me the number for something else that was completely irrelevant to my issue. I'm still waiting for a reply.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I have phoned them, and written to them. The phone call was unsuccessful as they gave me the number for something else that was completely irrelevant to my issue. I'm still waiting for a reply.

Who do you mean by "them"? Southeastern? IPFAS?

Fare-Cop

You need to make sure you are ringing the correct company. So far several posters have asked you to name the journey so that they can advise who you should ring.

You say "they gave me the number for something else that was completely irrelevant " and go on to say " I'm still waiting for a reply"

If you haven't rung or corresponded with the correct people or you sit around waiting too long and 21 days are up, it is very likely that the actual company who issued the notice will consider that you have failed to meet the terms of the notice.

You can probably help yourself through this forum best by answering the question 'Where did you travel from and to?'.

Last edited:

LiliKitten

You can probably help yourself through this forum best by answering the question 'Where did you travel from and to?'.

I went from Pevensey and Westham to Hampden Park, a four minute journey, I tried to buy a ticket, but the person on the train said we were too close to Hampden Park for him to sell me a ticket and when I got off the train he told me to go to the machine and buy one but I was then stopped by guards checking tickets at the exit of the station.

I am awaiting the reply of the email I sent South Eastern, I phoned National Rail enquiries using the number on the website and they gave me the number for South Eastern. I phoned that number and told about my predicament and they gave me a number for the complaints line.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Thank you for the information.

In that case, the company you need to contact is Southern, not South Eastern. South Eastern won't know anything about you.

For the benefit of other members, this is the reason why we ask for as much information as you can remember, because it can save you unnecessary efforts.

island

Veteran Member
I went from Pevensey and Westham to Hampden Park, a four minute journey, I tried to buy a ticket, but the person on the train said we were too close to Hampden Park for him to sell me a ticket and when I got off the train he told me to go to the machine and buy one but I was then stopped by guards checking tickets at the exit of the station.

Why didn't you use the ticket machine at Pevensey & Westham to buy a ticket before travelling?

sarahj

Established Member
I know this is a bit of an odd question, but you say the 'guards' questioned you as you left the station, but you were told to buy one at the machine on the platform at Hampden Park, and the machine on the platform is on the platform under the canopy, not near the exit, thus to get to the 'guards' at the exit, you passed the machine. I know its anoying when the original machine is out of order, but there were ways out of this situation.
I know this does not help in finding your lost form etc, but would just like to put some perspective on the situation.

island

Veteran Member
And it is worth noting that Southern ticket machines will issue a ticket from another station.

However, this deviates from the original issue, which is that LiliKitten has now exceeded the time for the payment of a Penalty Fare and is liable for prosecution or increased admin fees, and would be well advised to telephone Southern in the morning with a debit or credit card to hand.

Waldgrun

Am I missing something? From what has been said there was no working ticket issuing machines at Pevensey & Westham station the guard/conductor on the train didn't issue the ticket due to the shortage of time. So the first opportunity to purchase was at Hampden Park, be it from the Machine or the RPI's. So as far as I can see no Penalty Fare was due!

SussexMan

...and the machine on the platform is on the platform under the canopy, not near the exit, thus to get to the 'guards' at the exit, you passed the machine.

You can certainly reach the exit without going past the Ticket Machine. If you are on a train from Pevensey and Westham and are on the rear part of the train then you will arrive at Platform 2 and walk under the footbridge and immediately on your left is the exit (either via the footbridge or out through the gate to the path that leads either to the road or round to the industrial estate). If you walk past the exit then you will get to the shelter under which the Ticket Machine is. If however you were on the front section of the train you would have to walk past the Ticket Machine. Station layout here. I wouldn't have thought that the RPIs would have only been on Platform 1 otherwise people would have quickly turned back and exited from Platform 2 which is the only level access route to Platform 2.

tony6499

You can certainly reach the exit without going past the Ticket Machine. If you are on a train from Pevensey and Westham and are on the rear part of the train then you will arrive at Platform 2 and walk under the footbridge and immediately on your left is the exit (either via the footbridge or out through the gate to the path that leads either to the road or round to the industrial estate). If you walk past the exit then you will get to the shelter under which the Ticket Machine is. If however you were on the front section of the train you would have to walk past the Ticket Machine. Station layout here. I wouldn't have thought that the RPIs would have only been on Platform 1 otherwise people would have quickly turned back and exited from Platform 2 which is the only level access route to Platform 2.

As the entrance to the platforms at Pevensey are adjacent to the front 2 coaches it is extremely rare for anyone to board at the rear coach, usually those that do are trying to avoid the Conductor who will be towards the front to collect the fares from those boarding there.

SussexMan

As the entrance to the platforms at Pevensey are adjacent to the front 2 coaches it is extremely rare for anyone to board at the rear coach, usually those that do are trying to avoid the Conductor who will be towards the front to collect the fares from those boarding there.

Or perhaps they entered on the northern side of the station and crossed the footbridge at Pevensey & Westham rather than joining from the level crossing....

Or perhaps they walked down the platform because it was raining and they wanted to sit in the shelter...

Or perhaps the Ticket Machine at Pevensey and Westham was working but that wasn't tried - only the Permit to Travel machine was tried. We just don't know. Perhaps LiliKitten could tell us whether the ticket machine was also out of order.

All I was trying to point out is that it is perfectly possible to reach the exit at Hampden Park station before walking past the ticket machine. We have one side of the story - that's all, but I don't think we should be saying that you have to walk past the ticket machine before you get to the exit. You don't.

LiliKitten

Or perhaps the Ticket Machine at Pevensey and Westham was working but that wasn't tried - only the Permit to Travel machine was tried. We just don't know. Perhaps LiliKitten could tell us whether the ticket machine was also out of order.

The ticket machine said it had an error and could not accept any money but it did say it could print a permit for travel but when I tried it said it had a printing error.

The problem is now solved after contacting South Eastern and informing them of my situation. Thanks to everyone that posted.

island

Veteran Member
I am still not sure why you feel Southeastern has anything to do with this issue, given that you travelled with Southern.

tony6499

Or perhaps they entered on the northern side of the station and crossed the footbridge at Pevensey & Westham rather than joining from the level crossing....

Or perhaps they walked down the platform because it was raining and they wanted to sit in the shelter...

All I was trying to point out is that it is perfectly possible to reach the exit at Hampden Park station before walking past the ticket machine. We have one side of the story - that's all, but I don't think we should be saying that you have to walk past the ticket machine before you get to the exit. You don't.

If you walk down the platform at Hampden Park towards the exit you have the ticket machine facing you in the shelter but again if you are just looking for excuses then you would claim you hadn't seen it

Status
Not open for further replies.