• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lost railcard before return journey - didn't realise until ticket check

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReadingtoLondo

Hi all,

Travelled a return journey from London Paddington to Reading earlier today. In between my two journeys I managed to lose my railcard. The issue is I didn't realise until my ticket was checked by the inspector on the train. He issued a penalty fare notice (accepted, it is his job) and noted that if I could provide evidence of owning my railcard (ie a photo) to the appeal process I would be able to get a refund.

Now, having read a few of the threads (albeit old ones), I believe a refund doesn't look positive. Any tips or advice?

Cheers!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Have you paid it yet? I suggest paying ASAP as if the appeal is successful you can still be refunded. Don't delay paying.

Yes, if you can provide evidence, they probably will cancel it (for a first occasion). Do you have the receipt and/or a photo or any other evidence?

ReadingtoLondo

Have you paid it yet? I suggest paying ASAP as if the appeal is successful you can still be refunded. Don't delay paying.

Yes, if you can provide evidence, they probably will cancel it (for a first occasion). Do you have the receipt and/or a photo or any other evidence?

I haven't paid yet, as the chap on the train said to appeal. I believe I have 21 days to pay?

I've sent them a photo of the railcard and description of what happened, I can provide the receipt for the railcard too. This is my first offence as I always carry my card!

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Now, having read a few of the threads (albeit old ones), I believe a refund doesn't look positive.

It probably wasn't positive when the (old) threads were written, but the industry introduced new procedures earlier this year, and a first mistake will now get refunded once you prove you had a railcard at the appropriate time.

najaB

Veteran Member
I haven't paid yet, as the chap on the train said to appeal. I believe I have 21 days to pay?
Generally I would suggest paying then appealing as an appeal doesn't stop the clock. If you've not heard back from them by day 18 or so then that would be the time to pay.

ReadingtoLondo

Thanks all. I'm thinking I will pay around day 18 as advised, how long do these things normally take?

Good news on the waiving regard, been stressing ever since!

Status
Not open for further replies.