• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Buses and ECB Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpeedbirdA350

Latest EEN article talks of plans to draft in LCB/ECB drivers for LB routes. Even if it's not true (EEN after all) I can't imagine the drivers will be too pleased with the potential of strike breaking. https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman....brought-to-edinburgh-to-beat-strike-1-4973374
I understand what you mean, however some drivers who voted for no strike might have followed the instructions of the union who said to accept the deal, and they might also like to be paid so feel that they need to in order to put food on the table for the family.

Also, not one of those on the picketline can cause anyone deciding to work any grief as if they do pick on them, that is bullying and is that not what they are striking for in the first place and thus a tad hypocritical?

I have said before IMO that LCB/ECB/Tour drivers could be drafted in plus those who voted no and those who did not vote, so there might be more drivers than first thought and if that is the case, a Saturday/Sunday service might not be out of the relms of possibility. I think however the EEN chip rag are trying to get a story from guess work which lets face it, is how they run the rag anyway.

We still have NO idea of the full reasons behind the strike though and as much as I abhor bullying, it is making it hard to give full support to the strikers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SpeedbirdA350

If it was felt that the sacking amounted to unfair dismissal then I would expect that the employee, with support from their union, would have taken the case to an employment tribunal. Did this happen?
Agree it does seem a bit strange. The union was very vocal about the management culture issues back in February:

but then recommended accepting the latest offer from LB. The union said that the root of the issue was allegations of bullying and harassment, so I would assume that these issues were addressed in the LB offer, as well as the pay rise. But as you say, without knowing what else/more is wanted by those who voted against acceptance it's difficult to understand where the balance of the arguments currently sits.

Could it be that the union doesn't even know what its members (or at least those who voted against accepting the offer) now want? If that's the case then it seems to me that union and management aren't likely to be able to sort this out solely between themselves.
I think the problem is that the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing.

If this was over an issue that happened in DECEMBER 2018 then why do strike action now? Why not March, April or May? Why wait until now? Surely you'd rather get the issue sorted first and formorst over trying to cause maximum damage from any strike action?

It makes it hard to give full support and backing to the striking drivers however, when we have no idea what the full reasons are behind this. I abhor any type of workplace bullying but without the information and details to this issue, it means we are all flying blind here and can only go on a little bit of old information of something that happened in December.

Volvodart

Established Member
It is not that unusual for the Union members not to agree what the union has agreed. It has happened in Aberdeen.

A330Alex

We still have NO idea of the full reasons behind the strike though and as much as I abhor bullying, it is making it hard to give full support to the strikers.
I’m surprised they still haven’t released any specific demands like X should be sacked and Lothian should do Y. You’d think it would help the public rally around those demands, especially with just a few days to go.

On a different note, it’s pretty cool being on a full & standing XLB that’s carrying more than 100 people using the space of two or so SUVs. Impressive machines!

SpeedbirdA350

I’m surprised they still haven’t released any specific demands like X should be sacked and Lothian should do Y. You’d think it would help the public rally around those demands, especially with just a few days to go.

On a different note, it’s pretty cool being on a full & standing XLB that’s carrying more than 100 people using the space of two or so SUVs. Impressive machines!
Oh I agree with you re the B8Ls. I know some folk hate them but I have to say I like them. I don't like the middle door however as it is not as easy to get out of the bus if you have mobility problems, but they have no problem on hills or anything. I know the chances are slim but I sure hope to see some in the next batch going to Longstone and Marine (44 could use them, plus peak 25 & 34)

OmniCity999

Established Member
Oh I agree with you re the B8Ls. I know some folk hate them but I have to say I like them. I don't like the middle door however as it is not as easy to get out of the bus if you have mobility problems, but they have no problem on hills or anything. I know the chances are slim but I sure hope to see some in the next batch going to Longstone and Marine (44 could use them, plus peak 25 & 34)

The B8L's have a second door due to building regs first and foremost, although Stagecoach have managed to get around these in their order.

When it was decided that these buses were going to be built Lothian were going through a lot of changes. Dual doors were originally outlawed due to pressure by the union back in the early 2000's.

If Lothian wanted 100 seaters, they either needed to add multipled extra safety features and extra emergency exits and public announcements on them or they had to add a second door due to building regulations.

It was decided to add a second door to improve public movement and save time,n although that's an argument I'm not going to get into. Now, every new delivery is to have dual doors.

OmniCity999

Established Member
Lothian Country 1029 ex London B9's was deroofed today in Fauldhouse by a bridge. Nobody injured just a shaken driver.

Last edited:

R Scandle

That's just as bad as deleting the post. You only had to look at the amount of coments from people who had made plans to see the cavalcade, some people even travelling from elsewhere in the country who have then been left out of pocket because Lothian threw the toys out the pram.
What? Some from as far away as Fife? West Lothian? Leith? I somehow doubt it.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
It’s not as if the height of bridge is even close to the height of bus how on earth can you do that?

The classic excuse is "i forgot i was driving a double decker". You'd think with all the advancements in technology there would be systems actually in place to avoid bridge strikes.

SpeedbirdA350

The classic excuse is "i forgot i was driving a double decker". You'd think with all the advancements in technology there would be systems actually in place to avoid bridge strikes.
All he has to do is look above his head and it will tell him his height. He should be aware of this at all times too.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
hopefully the examinations of 1029 are quick and its fixed up quicker that 20942. not a good week for lothian, bad crash last week, roofing and strike action this week, if this bad luck continues we might end up seeing one on fire next week

SpeedbirdA350

hopefully the examinations of 1029 are quick and its fixed up quicker that 20942. not a good week for lothian, bad crash last week, roofing and strike action this week, if this bad luck continues we might end up seeing one on fire next week
I hope you've not just jinxed it! I would expect 1029 to be back on the road or scrapped within the time period of 20942 which has been nearly 2 years.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
I hope you've not just jinxed it! I would expect 1029 to be back on the road or scrapped within the time period of 20942 which has been nearly 2 years.
id expect back on the road considering they’ve recently bought and gave it a high spec refurb, reckon would come back in its current spec minus the tree guard and one rear side window instead of 2

OmniCity999

Established Member

The bowing in the body suggests to me it wont be worthy of a return to service. More London stock is due so one of those could replace it.

Lothian didnt buy these from their London operator, they were bought from a leasing company and as such Lothian never paid for the full refurbishment of the vehicles. To make them suitable for Lothian, the leasing company refurbished them (through Wrightbus), Lothian just paid a premium for them.

Swanny200

Even these are prone to being ignored, I used to work next to a major bridge strike location in Kent, that had overheight sensors that used to tell high vehicles to turn round by use of a very big electronic flashing sign when it was triggered even with that put in place the bridge still got hit many times.

If you do not know the height of your vehicle as a professional PSV/HGV driver then you should not be driving it... Simple as! What usually happens in these cases anyway, is it loss of licence or "retraining"?

Andyh82

Established Member
Not Lothian, but megabus 50290 has broken down on Princes Street blocking the whole eastbound carriageway. Buses are having to turn up South Charlotte Street

Tom B

Established Member
Well, if extra allocations are needed on the tour buses, there you go...

ScotRail158725

Established Member
The bowing in the body suggests to me it wont be worthy of a return to service. More London stock is due so one of those could replace it.

Lothian didnt buy these from their London operator, they were bought from a leasing company and as such Lothian never paid for the full refurbishment of the vehicles. To make them suitable for Lothian, the leasing company refurbished them (through Wrightbus), Lothian just paid a premium for them.
bowing in the body? also im assuming the ex london stock due is some off lease tower transit vn gemini 2 b9s. ensign moves arent out yet for july so part of that id guess

Status
Not open for further replies.