• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Buses and ECB Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
And the 10, 11, 12, 16 and 43 are all going along Princes Street to South St David Street, which is a big part of why the East End is pretty much solid traffic all day right now.

It doesn't help that the lights on the junction of Hanover Street and George Street haven't been altered, so there's a period of nothing moving while it sits on green for George Street eastbound.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scotrail158713

Established Member
I know the Airlink route has been altered but does anyone know why? It seems daft to have the buses getting stuck in the traffic along Princes Street, and then the right roundabout at the end of Waverley bridge. As far as I know, there was nothing wrong with the old route.

As a side note I also saw a XLB on an eastbound X44 yesterday - that surprised me as that must be tight up in Windygoul at the terminus.

Darklord8899

I know the Airlink route has been altered but does anyone know why? It seems daft to have the buses getting stuck in the traffic along Princes Street, and then the right roundabout at the end of Waverley bridge. As far as I know, there was nothing wrong with the old route.

As a side note I also saw a XLB on an eastbound X44 yesterday - that surprised me as that must be tight up in Windygoul at the terminus.

Aye, as 90019 said in an earlier post, the section of George St between Fredrick and Hanover is closed to traffic due to the wonderful decision to plonk the Spiegeltent there again, meaning Airlink can't go Fredrick St, George st, Hanover St, mound, market st to Waverley

scotrail158713

Established Member
Aye, as 90019 said in an earlier post, the section of George St between Fredrick and Hanover is closed to traffic due to the wonderful decision to plonk the Spiegeltent there again, meaning Airlink can't go Fredrick St, George st, Hanover St, mound, market st to Waverley
Ah ok.
All for blinkin’ jazz music though. :lol:

takno

Established Member

From experience travelling on it I'd say the whole George St loop is a minute or so slower than going down princes st used to be anyway. I assumed it had just been done to avoid having to get past the tour buses and go round the roundabout, rather than avoiding princes st

Lothian_Bus

The Eastbound X44's have occasionally had XLB's since March. When I mentioned it on here before I think someone pointed out to me that these were fine on the x44 as it avoided some of the tighter roads of the 44.

A330Alex

And the 10, 11, 12, 16 and 43 are all going along Princes Street to South St David Street, which is a bit part of why the East End is pretty much solid traffic all day right now.

It doesn't help that the lights on the junction of Hanover Street and George Street haven't been altered, so there's a period of nothing moving while it sits on green for George Street eastbound.
There’s a pretty rubbish temp cycle lane on the closed sections which I imagine is why there’s still a green phase. Could definitely do with shortening the phase though.

A330Alex

X5 clipped an X24 and took its wing mirror off on Lothian Road. I know they wanted to strike but come on :D

scotrail158713

Established Member
The Eastbound X44's have occasionally had XLB's since March. When I mentioned it on here before I think someone pointed out to me that these were fine on the x44 as it avoided some of the tighter roads of the 44.
Yeah you’re right. The more I think about it the more that I realise the X44 roads are fine.

Does this mean the X24 is only an X19 now?? :p:lol:;)
:lol:

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Does anyone think Longstone or Marine will have open days instead of Central? Would be nice to see those instead of central all the time

Darklord8899

Does anyone think Longstone or Marine will have open days instead of Central? Would be nice to see those instead of central all the time

...I guess the name says it all..... Central....
Longstone and Marine are both further out of city and potentially harder for most people to get to.
Central is close to city centre so easier for more people to get to, plus aren't there more places in city centre doing open doors day? (Not sure on this one, but I imagine there would be)

...Not a particularly strong argument, but I think it's probably the reasoning behind it being Central...

stantheman

On Moderation
Ah ok.
All for blinkin’ jazz music though. :lol:
Nothing to do with jazz music ,. the left wing council detest " middle class " George Steeet and use any excuse at all to close it . To them this steeet and cars are symbols of capitalism . They shed crocodile tears about pedestrian safety to hide their real agenda , to get every car out of Edinburgh

ScotRail158725

Established Member
...I guess the name says it all..... Central....
Longstone and Marine are both further out of city and potentially harder for most people to get to.
Central is close to city centre so easier for more people to get to, plus aren't there more places in city centre doing open doors day? (Not sure on this one, but I imagine there would be)

...Not a particularly strong argument, but I think it's probably the reasoning behind it being Central...
yeah i know central is l, well central. but we could have the annual one in september at central we could have one in April/March time altering yearly between Longstone & Marine

takno

Established Member
Nothing to do with jazz music ,. the left wing council detest " middle class " George Steeet and use any excuse at all to close it . To them this steeet and cars are symbols of capitalism . They shed crocodile tears about pedestrian safety to hide their real agenda , to get every car out of Edinburgh
Wow. That's quite a rant. The not-particularly left-wing council is angry because a steet full of office blocks and chain pubs is somehow "posh", and wants to take it downmarket by getting rid the car park in the middle and making it a bit quieter? And they've put a tent in it (to match the ones in every other square inch of the city) to hide the secret plans that they just published and had a public consultation on? With patter like that you should probably get yourself a show

OmniCity999

Established Member
yeah i know central is l, well central. but we could have the annual one in september at central we could have one in April/March time altering yearly between Longstone & Marine

Theres no point unfortunately. It would cause far too much hassle for no gain, these are free events. This is why Musselburgh have one, although don't expect Lothian Country to have one. The depot is in need of modernisation and it's too far out the way for anyone to want to go.

Last edited:

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Theres no point unfortunately. It would cause far too much hassle for no gain, these are free events. This is why Musselburgh have one, although don't expect Lothian Country to have one. The depot is in need of modernisation and it's too far out the way for anyone to want to go.

I think more than the depot is in need of modernisation. But i'll say no more! :lol:

Jordan Adam

Established Member
If you're talking about the bullying nature from management then thats not old fashioned, just plain old bullying and shouldnt be tolerated.

I was more referring to certain policies and the outdated difference in wages depending on if you drive a single or double decker.

Andyh82

Established Member
How many of those little electric streetair buses do they have in use? I don’t think I’ve seen more than 3 at any one time. There was one on the 6 today.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
How many of those little electric streetair buses do they have in use? I don’t think I’ve seen more than 3 at any one time. There was one on the 6 today.
They have 6, they’re never all out so they can swap them for charging I believe

SpeedbirdA350

Often seen on 61 and 6 but also used on 1 and 24. 286 however has not been out since 30th April and 288 (Standard life wrap) has not been out since 25th July. 288 is usually earmarked for 61, but has been (in wrap) on other routes ie 1 at weekends so no idea why it's taking a holiday...

The 1 was supposed to be the 1st all electric route in the city with more to join, I think 12 in total in first order but half was cancelled.

OmniCity999

Established Member
Often seen on 61 and 6 but also used on 1 and 24. 286 however has not been out since 30th April and 288 (Standard life wrap) has not been out since 25th July. 288 is usually earmarked for 61, but has been (in wrap) on other routes ie 1 at weekends so no idea why it's taking a holiday...

The 1 was supposed to be the 1st all electric route in the city with more to join, I think 12 in total in first order but half was cancelled.

Wright couldn't make a viable long wheelbase electric vehicle at the time. Weight wouldnt allow many standees meaning they were essentially useless. First six were supposed to be a trial with 12 more on order of a longer wheelbase. But as I say weigh was the issue. The origional 6 would then be distributed in twos between the three depots, for use on the 61, 69 and 20.

A longer wheelbase was then deemed unsuitable as even the first batch were troublesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.