• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Buses and ECB Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Perhaps if the First incarnation of the 20,63 and 64 go well they could do! Might be there way of slyly taking in a new city network.

as much as I feel most folk would dislike the idea it would be interesting to see how they would do it, for curiosity sakes at least :lol:

Perhaps veering too off topic for this thread, but i find it very unlikely First would take on any Lothian route commercially at the moment.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lothiangem22

Last edited by a moderator:

ScotRail158725

Established Member
never knew they still had it as it disappeared in September last year, any idea what others are still there? 702 and 746 were still at seafield at the start of lockdown, 718 was around not long before then but has dissapeared since

Lothiangem22

never knew they still had it as it disappeared in September last year, any idea what others are still there? 702 and 746 were still at seafield at the start of lockdown, 718 was around not long before then but has dissapeared since

3 unidentified buses were heading south (sold) on the A1 yesterday with someone on twitter complaining the driver was browsing through his phone at the wheel so there must of been some movement out in recent weeks

ScotRail158725

Established Member
3 unidentified buses were heading south (sold) on the A1 yesterday with someone on twitter complaining the driver was browsing through his phone at the wheel so there must of been some movement out in recent weeks
wouldnt think they’d sell them off at a time like this

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Theres plenty vehicles in reserve and I think the hope is that the double deck order will be back on for January.

I assume the single decks might start arriving soon? I heard they were near completion before the shutdown at ADL.

I had in my head they were Urban 3s, although thinking about it they could be E200MMCs instead (as the last deckers which were delivered were E400MMCs, rather than more Gemini 3s), someone else will be able to confirm which. I believe the original plan was for them to replace the 2004 Urban 1s, but I'm not sure if the Urban 1s are now staying in addition to the new buses to provide extra capacity.

Last edited:

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I'm admittedly out of touch but didn't realise we were getting new single Dex. What are they and where are they going?
I had in my head they were Urban 3s, although thinking about it they could be E200MMCs instead, someone else will be able to confirm which. I believe the original plan was for them to replace the 2004 Urban 1s, but I'm not sure if the Urban 1s are now staying in addition to the new buses to provide extra capacity.

13.2M ADL bodied Volvo B8RLEs. Lothian are not buying any Wright products anymore.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
They will be welcome. I'm still unconvinced about the switch of body manufacturer in recent times and we'll see how they age in a couple of years, the 2011 former hybrids certainly have developed a nice selection of bangs and rattles and feel a bit rough from a passengers prospective

again from the view of a passenger I won't be sorry to see the mmiv batch of Volvos going, I never liked them all that much and they have certainly been worked hard

I would speculate that they might end up on the 30 with a general shuffling round of stuff so that the single deck hybrids go elsewhere

Lothiangem22

I assume the single decks might start arriving soon? I heard they were near completion before the shutdown at ADL.

Hopefully! I’m looking forward to a new bus type to drive. I think we should see the first ones in Edinburgh any day now.

OmniCity999

Established Member
They will be welcome. I'm still unconvinced about the switch of body manufacturer in recent times and we'll see how they age in a couple of years, the 2011 former hybrids certainly have developed a nice selection of bangs and rattles and feel a bit rough from a passengers prospective

What convinced the company was Wrights shocking quality as of late. Then the fact they went bust, the fact they've been resurrected doesn't mean the quality has got any better or indeed that they will survive.

So little to no warranty. Parts aren't easy to get a hold of either.

Jordan Adam

Established Member

again from the view of a passenger I won't be sorry to see the mmiv batch of Volvos going, I never liked them all that much and they have certainly been worked hard

I would speculate that they might end up on the 30 with a general shuffling round of stuff so that the single deck hybrids go elsewhere

I think it's already been confirmed that the new singles are for the 30.

Build quality on ADL products has drastically improved in recent years. We have 16 and 19 plate E400MMCs at Stagecoach here and the sheer difference in them is shocking, there's nothing wrong with the 16 plates, but the 19 plates in terms of build quality and performance are light years ahead.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Hopefully! I’m looking forward to a new bus type to drive. I think we should see the first ones in Edinburgh any day now.

Same here, the extra capacity will be welcome when the QMU goes back - well, whatever level of in person teaching they're aiming for.

Lothiangem22

Same here, the extra capacity will be welcome when the QMU goes back - well, whatever level of in person teaching they're aiming for.

I’ve just heard the new singles are evora 12.2m b8rle’s and are on there way to the UK from the factory.

Having a look at wiki these seat 46 and up to 95 with standees so very high capacity for a single deck which would certainly help the 30!

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I’ve just heard the new singles are evora 12.2m b8rle’s and are on there way to the UK from the factory.

Having a look at wiki these seat 46 and up to 95 with standees so very high capacity for a single deck which would certainly help the 30!

That was a rumour going about on Facebook a few months back, even the person who originally posted it retracted their statement.

route101

Established Member

What Volvos are going? The eclipses?

CN04NRJ

Established Member

Interesting, was it from a reliable source?

The last MCVs I drove were in my first job - brand new 60 plate VDLs and they rattled like hell from new. Hope these ones, if true, are better!

buslad1988

Interesting, was it from a reliable source?

The last MCVs I drove were in my first job - brand new 60 plate VDLs and they rattled like hell from new. Hope these ones, if true, are better!
I’ve heard the same some months ago... and from a very reliable source. I have commented a few times on here saying not necessarily ADL bodywork to drop the hint.

An ADL bodied single decker apparently isn’t feasible due to the Volvo chassis being too big?! If that means/makes sense to anyone - I’m not entirely sure.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
I’ve heard the same some months ago... and from a very reliable source. I have commented a few times on here saying not necessarily ADL bodywork to drop the hint.

An ADL bodied single decker apparently isn’t feasible due to the Volvo chassis being too big?! If that means/makes sense to anyone - I’m not entirely sure.

Yes, the body would have to be wider and I'd assume they'd need all kinds of new tooling etc to accommodate and obviously not worth it for a (potential) one off order. I think I read the XLBs were only possible as the B8R chassis was the same width as the Scania N250UD and ADL chassis' that were already built on MMC bodies.

Whatever body they have it'll be excellent to see new single decks into the fleet.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I'm no expert by any means but thinking back, I don't think I've ever seen or heard of a DL building anything longer than an 11-point something metre. As far as as single deck service buses are concerned

if it is an MCV then I'll be very interested to see how they cope, certainly my previous experience of anything they've built has been less than positive

Jordan Adam

Established Member

CN04NRJ

Established Member
I'm no expert by any means but thinking back, I don't think I've ever seen or heard of a DL building anything longer than an 11-point something metre. As far as as single deck service buses are concerned

if it is an MCV then I'll be very interested to see how they cope, certainly my previous experience of anything they've built has been less than positive

I've driven them on MAN and VDL chassis (both of which were awful), and they had concerns over build quality with the MCV B7RLE demo during my time at Cardiff Bus, although I didn't get an opportunity to drive that.

Here's hoping these are better.

Status
Not open for further replies.