• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Buses and ECB Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gingerbus1991

These vehicles are all allocated to Central Depot. The 25 is a Marine / Longstone route. It's said these buses are due to be based on busy Central routes that serve the Bridges, Lothian Road - Morningside so the 16, 37 etc routes, with routes in Silverknowes being altered to accommodate.

This allows them to lower the amount of buses used in these areas and allow resources to be used elsewhere.
An apology is due, Ive never payed attention to what depot these were gonna be used at.

I do undestand the concern many have, many of lothians routes have some tight turns on them, I cant wait to here the story’s.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

VioletEclipse

An apology is due, Ive never payed attention to what depot these were gonna be used at.

I do undestand the concern many have, many of lothians routes have some tight turns on them, I cant wait to here the story’s.
Service 31 hardly has any corners to speak of between Maybury and Lasswade, so could be the ideal route.

Lothian_Bus

Service 31 hardly has any corners to speak of between Maybury and Lasswade, so could be the ideal route.
I thought the 31. It's at Central and comments have already been made about getting new buses on the Corstorphine Road corridor. The 37 would seem a good choice too though.

The 44 could also do with new buses but it's only part based at Central.

Do we know for sure that all 42 of these buses will be Central based?

Auld reekie

I thought the 31. It's at Central and comments have already been made about getting new buses on the Corstorphine Road corridor. The 37 would seem a good choice too though.

The 44 could also do with new buses but it's only part based at Central.

Do we know for sure that all 42 of these buses will be Central based?
I thought the 44 was split between Longstone and Marine.

SpeedbirdA350

My only issue about the 31 getting the new B8L is if the roundabout on North Bughtlin Road is going to be able to handle the bus. Would it be safe to assume that that little section would be removed from the service map?

VioletEclipse

My only issue about the 31 getting the new B8L is if the roundabout on North Bughtlin Road is going to be able to handle the bus. Would it be safe to assume that that little section would be removed from the service map?
I was thinking that too, it would most likely be removed is my guess.

OmniCity999

Established Member
I'm led to believe the 37 is getting some of them with the 37 and 27 swapping routes in the Silverknowes area.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
I'm led to believe the 37 is getting some of them with the 37 and 27 swapping routes in the Silverknowes area.
That seems reaareasonable. Only tight corneres on 37 are Straition Retail Park & around Penicuik. Also you saying the 37/27 swapping routes in Silverknowes hints a service change this month or next

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Just seen a Lothian Traident on the A7 between Galshiels and Stow heading south. Didnt catch fleet no or regi plate because i passed it on the train however it will be 647 or 648 i can tell you that much

OmniCity999

Established Member
That seems reaareasonable. Only tight corneres on 37 are Straition Retail Park & around Penicuik. Also you saying the 37/27 swapping routes in Silverknowes hints a service change this month or next

Going by the past, service changes are due at on the last Sunday in Feb. Cant imagine they'll hold off that long for the new buses, though.

Established Member
The left turn from Hillhead onto Melville Dykes Road in Lasswade may be an issue with ground clearance and overhangs - some of the current buses already scrape the front end going round that corner.

Gingerbus1991

The left turn from Hillhead onto Melville Dykes Road in Lasswade may be an issue with ground clearance and overhangs - some of the current buses already scrape the front end going round that corner.
If drivers are aware of that a moment push of the ferry left at a slow rate could avoid this situation

Lothian285

All the Lothian city buses are going to receive a special 100th anniversary logo:
Look out for our special 100 years logo on your bus
January 9, 2019

To celebrate our Centenary year, we will be rolling out a special 100 years logo on all our Lothian city buses.

You will see these starting to appear on your bus this week.

The logo was designed in house by our marketing team as part of a suite of artwork made especially for our anniversary.

We are very proud of our heritage and are looking forward to celebrating our big birthday with you this year.

We hope to see you all at our Bus2020 Launch in George Street on Sunday 3 February 1200 – 1600.

https://www.lothianbuses.com/news/2019/01/look-out-for-our-special-100-years-logo-on-your-bus/

Last edited:

VioletEclipse

OmniCity999

Established Member
I wonder if they'll just give it to repainted buses (Glass Staircase livery) or if they'll incorporate it into the old Madder and White, it's not too obvious being behind the wing mirrors, but it's a nice touch.

Via Facebook Lothian have revealed it will be on every Lothian bus, but not the subsidiaries.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member

The 37 would be an ideal service for these new buses, if Marine we’re getting any of these buses I would of suggested the 49 since it got practically forced into a single decker service last year.

Though the 44 could do with some new buses after all too

Lothian_Bus

The 37 would be an ideal service for these new buses, if Marine we’re getting any of these buses I would of suggested the 49 since it got practically forced into a single decker service last year.

Though the 44 could do with some new buses after all too
Yes the 44 runs with several 55 plates and the 37 with 56 plates. Both definitely need a refresh.

SpeedbirdA350

Lothian City currently run 42 regular services, 10 express and 12 night services. Do you think LB will add any new routes or do you think that will be that? I always wonder if they will run some non city services, not so much 32/52 but in same mindset that they don't touch Princes Street

oldman

Is the idea of the big buses to increase capacity or cutting frequency? If its capacity where are the problem areas in the city - not southwest as far as I can see? If its frequency cutting, the 31, 37 and 44 don't look like a good idea.

VioletEclipse

Lothian City currently run 42 regular services, 10 express and 12 night services. Do you think LB will add any new routes or do you think that will be that? I always wonder if they will run some non city services, not so much 32/52 but in same mindset that they don't touch Princes Street
There aren't too many, but services 21 and 400 together create a sort of circle around the outskirts of Edinburgh, and other services like the 38 don't touch the city centre.

ANWP Tom

35 also doesn't use princes st but has the pain of getting up and down the royal mile.

Think something going direct from East into stockbridge via York Place or Belleview is about the only central gap and even then not a huge one.

Outwith the centre Seafield-Porty although not really having footfall on that section would plug a gap (Extending to the 1 or 12 to Kings Road or Joppa Pans via seafield seems the logical option, probably a 2 bus requirement increase, even if you were brave Musselburgh Tesco seems a good turn round)

OmniCity999

Established Member
Is the idea of the big buses to increase capacity or cutting frequency? If its capacity where are the problem areas in the city - not southwest as far as I can see? If its frequency cutting, the 31, 37 and 44 don't look like a good idea.

Reduce frequency by up to 5 minutes on certain routes and boost capacity. So they are then able to utilise stock elsewhere / get rid of Euro 3/4 vehicles quicker.

oldman

Reduce frequency by up to 5 minutes on certain routes and boost capacity.

Yes, but which? If you reduce frequency with bigger buses you maintain capacity not boost it. Given the chronic problems of bunching on many routes, reducing 10 minute frequencies to 15 is not a good idea. I'd accept a 15 min frequency on the 16 if it was going to turn up every 15 but I know it wouldn't - as it is it's often a 20 minute wait with a lot of short running as well.

It's routes which are better than every 10 (22, peak hour 11) where the bigger buses might save PVR without doing much damage to the service. And the 26 is one which might use some capacity increase.

buslad1988

As someone who uses Seafield Road regularly to travel to/from work I’d say to send a bus service along there would be a very bad idea. Frequent hold ups/delays and rush hour tailbacks would have a knock on effect throughout the rest of any route which served it. You often see 19’s and 42’s held up just trying to get in and out of Marine garage.

The routes they already use through Lochend/Craigentinny are probably the best (and most reliable) options to get from Leith to Portobello although often Wakefield Avenue becomes congested at rush hour too with queues to get onto Portobello Road. The whole area around Kings Road will only get worse in the next few years though with the amount of developments in the facinity.

Status
Not open for further replies.