• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Buses and ECB Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

overthewater

Established Member
It seems someone people may like this thread, hopeful others can fill it out.

Service changes:

A number of changes are planned for 3th September. Its unclear what there are but its been suggested its linked to the closure of Leith walk.

Fleet

New Gemini 3 / B5TL have entered service with 30 appearing it seems.

Strikes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-40753597

A consultative ballot on possible strike action by Lothian Buses workers is to be held by Unite, it has been announced.
The union said it was over a number of issues with the Edinburgh bus firm.
Lothian Buses said it was "shocked and deeply disappointed" Unite had not tried to resolve any concerns directly.
Lothian Buses drivers took industrial strike action over pay in July 2005. Drivers had been offered a 5% pay increase but wanted just over 6%.
A Lothian Buses spokesman said: "We are shocked and deeply disappointed that Unite have not tried to resolve any concerns with us directly.
"Any industrial action would only bring significant inconvenience to our many customers who rely on our services every day and is not in the best interests of Unite's members and our other staff in the longer term.
"We would strongly encourage Unite to follow the agreed due process for resolving disputes."
Tony Trench, Unite regional officer said: "I am very annoyed about the total disregard for the recognition agreement and the lack of safety they have for the drivers.
"Morale is on the floor."

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Good thread. Might be better renamed as Lothian Buses Discussion though, as the thread starter could you maybe do this OTW?

I am quite frankly amazed we have gone this long without industrial action given that from my pure and simple observations as a passenger its not a happy ship just now.

Also for the tridant fans, there will only be around 20 or 30 left in service very soon and how long they last is unknown. Also all the former Airlink Scanias are up for sale, 2 having already gone to Bay Travel.

New vehicles entering traffic on airlink today, without leather seats! IMO the spec for these isnt as good as the last 2 fleats as no tables iether. However they are sporting new ticket machines with contactless payment which if successful will be launched fleat wide.

overthewater

Established Member
Alot of people dislike the leather because on hot days with the glass roof the seats where hot and on cold days the seats were cold. Its believe around 70 new buses are appearing over this financial year, poor old Glasgow...

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
Alot of people dislike the leather because on hot days with the glass roof the seats where hot and on cold days the seats were cold. Its believe around 70 new buses are appearing over this financial year, poor old Glasgow...

Remember through Lothian is still in public hands. If First hadn't of came along in 1998 when they bought out Strathclyde and Kelvin (seeing as Strathclyde itself purchased Kelvin not long before), who knows what the GGPTE at that time could have done.

duncanp

Established Member
....but its been suggested its linked to the closure of Leith walk...

I think you mean Leith Street (ie from the East End of Princes Street to Picardly Place), which is being closed for 10 months from September whilst the St James Centre is redeveloped.

I guess buses will have to be diverted via York Place and St Andrew Square, although some from the East may be diverted via Regent Road.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I think the new Airlink livery looks nicer than the one that the 15-reg buses replaced but apart from that I don't think there has been much improvement.
Note that their website is still advertising the buses as having
comfortable leather seating with tables
https://lothianbuses.co.uk/airport
Sam

Last edited:

oldman

Plans for the Leith Street diversions have been published. I don't know if that is the last word.

Basically:

Everything from the east goes via Regent Place, nothing via London Road
Leith Walk to Bridges goes via London Road and Regent Place
Leith Walk to Princes Street goes via York Place

Abbeyhill should be fun.

overthewater

Established Member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-40866842
A Copy of this is in the Edinburgh Tram thread, the link is here for ref:

If I was Lothian buses, I would start looking at new bus routes if this get the go ahead, Since it would affect the 22 and 25, plus the 10 and 16.

Personnel I would start looking for other ideas and route to complement the trams were trying to get new customers, with the amount of traffic that wouldnt be to hard.

PaulLothian

https://lothianbuses.co.uk/news/article/doors-open-day-is-back1
Once again this year we will be opening the doors of our Central Garage on Saturday 23 September as part of Doors Open Day.

It's a great opportunity for you to learn a bit more about us and what we do.

After record breaking visitor numbers of 10,000 last year, we will again have a display of new and vintage buses, fun activities for children, the change to learn some more about our history on an open top bus, take part in some 'bus racing' and take a trip through the bus wash.

Our vintage running event will also be back again this year on the service 26 showcasing some of our vintage vehicles between Eastfield and Atholl Crescent.

Doors open at 1200 - we hope to see you there!

Andyh82

Established Member
After giving in to the inevitable and introducing electronic destination displays, have Lothian now giving in even further and dropped their non standard layout? I see the latest buses just have ultimate destination and number all on one line. Does this mean they can't show 'Part Route' and all that sort of stuff anymore?

overthewater

Established Member
After giving in to the inevitable and introducing electronic destination displays, have Lothian now giving in even further and dropped their non standard layout? I see the latest buses just have ultimate destination and number all on one line. Does this mean they can't show 'Part Route' and all that sort of stuff anymore?

Im sure the DDA rules outlawed that?

alexf380

Established Member

Nope, just the destination and route number. No "Part Route/Limited Stop/Park & Ride/Night Bus" additional info. Even the "N" on the night buses is now plain white.

Andyh82

Established Member
I notice some of the presidents have three parts, the ultimate destination and number have been upgraded to electronic, but the via points is still a blind.

overthewater

Established Member
Details about the service changes:

https://lothianbuses.co.uk/news/article/Changes-to-bus-services

We will be making changes to some of our timetables and routes from 3 September 2017

From 3 September 2017, we will be making some changes to our day and night services.

DAY BUSES SERVICE CHANGES

Leith Street Diversions
1, 4, 5, 7, 8, 14, 19, 22, 25, 34, 45, 49 will be diverted due to the closure of Leith Street.

Services with revised timetables
1, 7, 8, 14, 49 – Revised timetables due to Leith Street closure
26 – Revised early morning timetable on all days to improve reliability
X12 – NEW earlier afternoon journey from RBS Gogarburn
X29 – NEW earlier morning journey introduced from Gorebridge
X44 (Balerno) – NEW earlier morning journey introduced from Balerno

Services with minor timetable changes
18, 25, 34, 41, 44

Services with route and timetable changes
29, X29, 33 – Buses will serve the new terminus at Gorebridge (Birkenside)

NIGHTBUS SERVICE CHANGES

Leith Street Diversions
Leith Street closed a.m. Sunday 3 September until summer 2018.
Services N7, N11, N16, N22, N26 & N44 diverted via St Andrew Square and York Place.
Services N25 & N34 terminate at Waterloo Place.

The roll out of 20 mph zones in Edinburgh has had a significant impact on the reliability of NightBuses. We have tried to minimise the impact to passengers and have increased resource levels throughout the night however it has been necessary to curtail or re-time some routes.

Services with revised timetables
N7, N11, N16, N30, N31, N37 & N44

Services with route and timetable changes
N3 – Gore Avenue will no longer be served on journeys to Edinburgh. Buses will serve the new terminus in Gorebridge (Birkenside).
N22 – Buses will additionally serve Edinburgh Park and Edinburgh Park Station.
Saturday and Sunday journeys between Ocean Terminal and Stenhouse will instead run between Ocean Terminal and West End only.
N25 & N34 – Buses will terminate at Heriot-Watt Reception instead of Halls of Residence.
N26 – Journeys to Seton Sands no longer serve Hawthorn Road/Schaw Road in Prestonpans or Alder Road/Long Craigs in Port Seton and instead operate direct along the coast road.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Pictures have emerged of the ex-Airlink buses being debranded and having their destination blinds removed.
https://flic.kr/p/XeCUNL
Sam
Am assuming that they'll be helping with the continued displacement of the Tridents once repainted/reallocated; or for something else altogether? Apologies, as I'm not totally up to speed with the changes/movements in Lothian's fleet right now lol

Last edited:

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Am assuming that they'll be help with the continued displacement of the Tridents once repainted/reallocated; or for something else altogether? Apologies, as I'm not totally up to speed with the changes/movements in Lothian's fleet right now lol

There are new single deckers coming also, pictured in Northern Ireland on test are the new Wright StreetAir which have the revised front end (the same as the new single deckers that East Coast Buses have).
They certainly look.... interesting.
https://flic.kr/p/XuHNvC
Sam

Last edited:

Strathclyder

Established Member
There are new single deckers coming also, pictured in Northern Ireland on test are the new Wright StreetAir which have the revised front end (the same as the new single deckers that East Coast Buses have).
They certainly look.... interesting.
https://flic.kr/p/XuHNvC
Sam
Indeed they do. Not the ugliest bus I've ever seen, but not all that good-looking either. Any ideas as what service they're for?

Strathclyder

Established Member
Yes I'm sure they will divide opinion, I'm unsure on they services they will be used on I'm afraid, however I'm sure that some more knowledgeable people will.
Sam

Indeed they will (and have, by the looks of the comments I've already seen). Ah, no worries. Am sure that someone in the know will tell us soon enough. :)

TheAlbanach_

Indeed they do. Not the ugliest bus I've ever seen, but not all that good-looking either. Any ideas as what service they're for?

At least they're not more of the horrid single decker Volvo hybrid buses. I hate them so much. The east coast buses are really nice and comfy so good they're getting some of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

overthewater

Established Member
News flash: just popped up on the TC: looks like the 35 is getting replaced. Some people were too stuck up to accept it .

PM0000002/45 Registered
LOTHIAN BUSES LIMITED
Route: Edinburgh Airport to Edinburgh, Ocean Terminal via Royal Bank Of Scotland Gogar, Longstone, Slateford Station, Fountainbridge, Forrest Road, Holyrood, foot of Easter Road, (foot)
Service number: 300
Service type: Normal Stopping
Effective date: 01 Oct 2017

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.