• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Buses and ECB Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SpeedbirdA350

Skylink 434, 497, 498, 508 and 510 are all at Central for the time being. I wonder now if they will as LiviCrazy asked, if both LCB and ECB will change from their own buses to LB buses due to them having bandit screens which that extra layer of protection might make a difference.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Skylink 434, 497, 498, 508 and 510 are all at Central for the time being. I wonder now if they will as LiviCrazy asked, if both LCB and ECB will change from their own buses to LB buses due to them having bandit screens which that extra layer of protection might make a difference.
They should have them, don’t understand why they don’t.

OmniCity999

Established Member
they should have them, dont understand why they dont

Previous MD wanted "the services to be more welcoming to customers"

Now he's gone, i can see every bus in the fleet have them re fitted. As per union request - I remember they werent keen on their removal in the ECB fleet. Also once Covid-19 is over with I can see everyone being that little bit more careful.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Previous MD wanted "the services to be more welcoming to customers"

Now he's gone, i can see every bus in the fleet have them re fitted. As per union request - i remember they werent keen on their removal in the ECB fleet. Also once Covid-19 is over with i can see everyone being that little bit more careful.
Could always spec retractable ones, that way it'd be the driver's choice. That's what Stagecoach's MMCs have round here.

OmniCity999

Established Member
Could always spec retractable ones, that way it'd be the driver's choice. That's what Stagecoach's MMCs have round here.

The city fleet specification as per the union is a bandit screen from windscreen to bulkhead. A retractable screen wouldn't fulfil this as it would slide up out of the door, not covering all the way to the windscreen.

Every bus delivered in the last three years without a screen fitted, was delivered with a screen, just not fitted. I reckon we'll be fitting them soon enough.

Speaking of those screens, are the 7900s going to be getting new ones at all? It's been a while since I was on one but I seem to remember the screens on the 7900 making it very difficult to put a ridacard onto the machine, due to the size of the hole and the way it's positioned.

OmniCity999

Established Member
Speaking of those screens, are the 7900s going to be getting new ones at all? It's been a while since I was on one but I seem to remember the screens on the 7900 making it very difficult to put a ridacard onto the machine, due to the size of the hole and the way it's positioned.

Yeah its always been mentioned that it's fiddly.

I don’t see why we can’t just trim it, easy enough to do and has been suggested.

VioletEclipse

It's about time Lothian decided on what it's livery is and stuck to it, what was once a uniformed, proud fleet is now all over the place with swoops, straight lines, fotf with crests, fotf with gold bands, fotf without gold bands and plain white buses. I have tried to get used to the fotf livery, it works well on some buses but not others, just to much white for me, I liked the short lived straight lines livery, simple and smart. Just my own opinion though.
This is what I've been saying for years, but I guess it'll probably be at least another 5 or 6 years until we have a completely uniform fleet again (quite possibly longer)

VioletEclipse

Don't forget the gold band under the lower deck window! Why not just go back to the old Corporation madder and white livery? It was simple, unique, classic and everyone knew that was an Edinburgh bus..
Would love that, and I'm sure many people would, a return to the original after almost 21 years of different and frequently changing liveries (2 versions of Harlequin, the swoops introduced in 2010, Madder & Gold, Straight Lines, at least 3 variations of the Glass Staircase - or is it now called FOTF instead? - livery etc etc) the image of an Edinburgh bus is no longer what it was but many people would still welcome it back. Will it happen? Who knows

Mal

Would love that, and I'm sure many people would, a return to the original after almost 21 years of different and frequently changing liveries (2 versions of Harlequin, the swoops introduced in 2010, Madder & Gold, Straight Lines, at least 3 variations of the Glass Staircase - or is it now called FOTF instead? - livery etc etc) the image of an Edinburgh bus is no longer what it was but many people would still welcome it back. Will it happen? Who knows

When madder and white came back as swoops after that awful Harlequin, IIRC Edinburgh folk glad to have the traditional colours back. As others have said, bring back the original livery and be done with it.

buslad1988

When madder and white came back as swoops after that awful Harlequin, IIRC Edinburgh folk glad to have the traditional colours back. As others have said, bring back the original livery and be done with it.
Don’t forget we’re in 2020 now, not 1960. As long as there’s madder and white with a bit of gold it’s good to keep moving with the times and updating/restyling. Other operators have been more drastic and changed colours altogether.

The crest is a nice addition on city buses but doesn’t seem to have been rolled out any further. Guess we’ll see what the new MD has in store for the company; wouldn’t imagine livery is going to be high up the priority list though... with the way this years going and the dividends required for the trams they’ll be lucky to have any spare money left for new vehicles/investment at all.

cnjb8

Established Member
Yes the old livery may be good for nostalgia but I don't see the point of reverting back to an older livery.

OmniCity999

Established Member
I would imagine after this is over there may not be the funds to tart up the buses.

You'd be surprised.

124 new deliveries expected this year - probably going to be pushed to next year now.

Refurbishment of existing vehicles will be ongoing in line with the five year renewal program.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
Revised timetable coming in from the 12th, interestingly it's broadly increases in service. Some cuts too though. https://www.lothianbuses.com/news/2020/04/service-changes-from-sunday-12-april/

2, 4, 19 and 35 being brought back in some way. Noticed the 100 is being trimmed back to finish at 18:00 from the city.

20 and 63 Sunday service withdrawn, and the 21 having additional services from Westside Plaza giving the folk of Wester Hailes another option for the Hospital besides the 400 despite that being the quicker service

I’m quite surprised Lothian haven’t considered extending the 14 to the Royal Infirmary via the bus gate like the proposed N14 and also bringing the 300 back and extending it to Royal infirmary also, even if it ran as
300 Sighthill - Royal Infirmary

But understandable we work with what we got and all those who are working to help keep society moving during this times deserve all the recognition they get, stay safe everyone!

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Quite a number of Longstone B5TL/LHs are at Central now (with 2009 B9TLs going the other way) along with 162.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
i dont why this isnt a thing in the first place, almost 2 years and ive always expected that cameron toll to infirmry extension

Admittedly it would make sense, Cameron Toll is an awkward terminus, plus it would link Slateford and Fountainpark directly to the Royal Infirmary and could make some easy connections on the 21/48/400 depending on your journey

Andyh82

Established Member
Regarding bandit screens, before this predictably turns into blaming one man as per usual, it’s worth noting that until the current crisis there was no right or wrong answer, many operators do use them, some don’t.

Many operators who don’t have them have taken to installing make shift plastic screens attached to the roof, it’s also been said actual bandit screens don’t work in the current instance as they have holes in for people to be heard.

SpeedbirdA350

Regarding bandit screens, before this predictably turns into blaming one man as per usual, it’s worth noting that until the current crisis there was no right or wrong answer, many operators do use them, some don’t.

Many operators who don’t have them have taken to installing make shift plastic screens attached to the roof, it’s also been said actual bandit screens don’t work in the current instance as they have holes in for people to be heard.
They could install a fabric filter over those holes if they needed to but if I were a driver I'd rather have a bandit screen, than nothing.

overthewater

Established Member
Nice to see Lothian rolling back its cut back and introducing some improvements, not sure what its take this long. No2 should have been kept as it goes to Supermarkets at either end. Why the 100 is still running is anyone gusse.

The network changes include:
Service 1 – Seafield to Clermiston: Minor timetable changes, particularly in the early morning.
Service 2 – NEW The Jewel to Surgeons’ Hall: This service will run on an hourly frequency on Mondays to Saturdays to provide links from Prestonfield, Craigmillar and Niddrie to Asda at The Jewel.
Service 3 – Clovenstone to Mayfield: Minor timetable changes with a later evening journey from Mayfield to the City Centre.
Service 4 – NEW City Centre to The Jewel: This service will run on an hourly frequency on Mondays to Saturdays to provide links from the City Centre and Bingham to Asda at The Jewel.
Service 5 – Hunter’s Tryst to The Jewel: Revised timetable with later evening journeys introduced.
Service 7 – Newhaven to Royal Infirmary: Revised timetable on all days of the week.
Service 8 – Muirhouse to Royal Infirmary: Revised timetable on all days of the week.
Service 11 – Ocean Terminal to Hyvots Bank: Revised timetable on all days of the week.
Service 14 – Muirhouse to Greendykes: Revised timetable on all days of the week.
Service 16 – Silverknowes to Torphin: Revised timetable on all days of the week.
Service 19 – NEW Granton to City Centre: This service will run on an hourly frequency on Mondays to Saturdays to provide links from Granton and Pilton to the Western General and the West End.
Service 20 – Ratho to Hermiston Gait: The Sunday service will be withdrawn. No Change to Monday to Saturday timetable.
Service 21 – Clovenstone or Gyle Centre to Royal Infirmary: On Mondays to Saturdays the daytime frequency is doubled to every 30-minutes, with one bus per hour operating to Gyle Centre and one bus to Westside Plaza. Early morning journeys on all days of the week will now start from Broomhouse Road to improve links to the Western General, Leith and the Royal Infirmary.
Service 22 – Ocean Terminal to Gyle Centre:
Revised timetable on all days of the week.
Service 24 – West Granton to Royal Infirmary: No change
Service 25 – Restalrig to Riccarton: Minor timetable changes
Service 26 – Clerwood to either Tranent or Seton Sands: Minor timetable changes
Service 27 – Silverknowes to Hunter’s Tryst: Revised timetable on all days of the week.
Service 29 – Silverknowes to Gorebridge: No change
Service 30 – Clovenstone to Musselburgh: Revised timetable with daytime frequency to and from Musselburgh increased to every 30-minutes. On Mondays to Saturdays a later evening journey is introduced from Clovenstone to Musselburgh.
Service 31 – East Craigs to Bonnyrigg Hopefield or Polton Mill:
Revised timetable. On Sundays, the frequency will be reduced to every 60-minutes, with buses operating between East Craigs and Hopefield only; Polton Mill will not be served (Service 49 will continue to provide links to the City Centre).
Service 33 – Wester Hailes to Sheriffhall: Minor timetable changes on all days of the week.
Service 34 – Ocean Terminal to Riccarton: Revised route and timetable with buses now serving Heriot Watt Research Park.
Service 35 – NEW Ocean Terminal to Sighthill: This service will run on an hourly frequency on Mondays to Saturdays to provide links to Holyrood, Chalmers Hospital and the Eye Pavilion at Lauriston Place.
Service 37 – Silverknowes to Penicuik (Deanburn or Ladywood): Revised timetable with early morning journeys re-timed to better connect with Service 7 at Kaimes Crossroads for customers travelling to the Royal Infirmary. On Mondays to Saturdays an additional journey will run from Ladywood to Silverknowes. On all days of the week, there will be a later evening journey from the City to Penicuik.
Service 38 – West Granton to Royal Infirmary: Revised timetable with early morning journeys re-timed, and an additional journey introduced at the busiest time between West Granton and the Royal Infirmary.
Service 41 – Cramond to Surgeons’ Hall or St. Andrew Square: This service will now operate on an hourly frequency between Cramond and Surgeon’s Hall on Mondays to Saturdays or Cramond and St. Andrew Square on Sundays. The section of route to Marchmont and the Grange will be withdrawn; Service 24 will continue to serve these areas.
Service 44 – Balerno to St Andrew Square: Revised route and timetable introduced. The City Centre terminus will be changed from Leith Street to St. Andrew Square (North-side). The Sunday frequency is reduced to hourly.
Service 48 – Gorebridge to Royal Infirmary: No Change
Service 49 – The Jewel to Rosewell: Revised timetable with additional morning journeys introduced on Mondays to Saturdays. The daytime journeys between The Jewel and the Royal Infirmary will be extended to and from Sheriffhall Park & Ride, providing Danderhall and Fernieside with more buses to and from the City Centre/Leith.
Service 63 – Gyle Centre to Queensferry: The last evening journey from Queensferry to Gyle Centre is withdrawn on Mondays to Saturdays. The Sunday service will be withdrawn.
Service 100 – Waverley to Edinburgh Airport: The timetable will be curtailed with the first journey from the City Centre at 04:00 and the last bus from the City Centre at 18:00. From the Airport, first and last journeys will be 04:30 & 18:30. The frequency will be maintained at every 30-minutes.
Service 400 – Gyle Centre to Royal Infirmary: Revised timetable – early morning journeys will have revised arrival times at the Royal Infirmary. On Sunday evenings, the 22:45 journey from the Royal Infirmary will no longer operate.

SpeedbirdA350

100 has to run some sort of service due to the contract but folk do work at the airport too and some don't drive so are reliant on the bus. Suprised it's not every 45 minutes though.

What has made me question this update is the number 19. Is that not just mirroring the 113? 113 leaves West Granton at half past the hour, whereas the 19 leaves West Granton at about 20 past. So it's not even timed well. Or am I missing something? They could have extended the 113 to go to Granton Square if that is the tiny link they wanted too.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
100 has to run some sort of service due to the contract but folk do work at the airport too and some don't drive so are reliant on the bus. Suprised it's not every 45 minutes though.

Agree, people forget it's not just commercial passengers at the Airport. There's also freight aircraft etc and plenty of staff, many of whom don't drive.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
What has made me question this update is the number 19. Is that not just mirroring the 113? 113 leaves West Granton at half past the hour, whereas the 19 leaves West Granton at about 20 past. So it's not even timed well. Or am I missing something? They could have extended the 113 to go to Granton Square if that is the tiny link they wanted too.
Tbf they’ve spread it out fairly well, cause you have the ECB combined every 30 mins service from the 106 and 113. The 19 is mainly running to provide the link to the Western General from areas that had the service removed (Boswall Parkway, Boswall Loan, Granton Crescent, the small part of West Granton Road as well as Granton Square). If the link down to Granton Harbour is to be restored (which I find unlikely) then the 47 would need to be reintroduced as none of the routes that terminate at West Granton can have enough time in the timetables to allow for it. Disappointed it won’t run on a Sunday but let’s see what happens, the routes and timetables will no doubt change again to suit demand.

What I do wonder is will the 19 show ‘West End’ as it’s destination from Granton, especially if it will serve all of its normal stops Eastbound certainly as far as the end of Princes St and then close to normal stops (some normal too) as far as Abbeyhill. Westbound from the 4 to 19 might be tricky though.

Status
Not open for further replies.