• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Lothian buses

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpeedbirdA350

I feel a fool lol, thanks. I was looking on flickr not twitter. Never understood the facination at Lothian for those rig plates, especially when they have 04 and 55 plates running still and this is newer!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gingerbus1991

I think they are somewhere on flickr as well, generally speaking I think when they put older buses onto newly acquired services they do this to hide there age, where as the existing 04/05 buses were already established.

SpeedbirdA350

Thanks for that. I'm not on Flickr, although I browse it a fair bit. I guess I might need to join it to keep a list of all these accounts lol.

VioletEclipse

Thanks for that. I'm not on Flickr, although I browse it a fair bit. I guess I might need to join it to keep a list of all these accounts lol.
Don't feel under pressure to get it, but by all means do if you want to, I've had Flickr for over a month now and it's useful to post photos and communicate, but now many people are talking of leaving when the 1000 photos limit on free accounts comes into place.

Back on topic, the 'RIG 649x' registrations were given to them in 2016 when ECB were new and bought them second hand, I don't think the money spend on privatising the regs was worth it, but they are at least simple to understand as the last number coincides with the fleet number.

Travelled on x27 today craigshill about 11ish to Wilkieston and about 15 on board at max . Busier a bit on returning at 3 .both drivers however grounded bus drawing in at the Kassel kerbs . Just the skid plate under the door mind you . First time using Lcb and note no assault screen ,are they all like that? On looking at the tickets I understand the driver no ,trip ,bus , ticket , service .what I’m not getting is what Blk is .?

Driver362

Yes all don't have screens ,blck is block number or duty board number if you prefer,and it's not to difficult to ground them those kerbs are ridiculous! Just kneel the bus not put a mountain on the kerb edge

Gingerbus1991

Travelled on x27 today craigshill about 11ish to Wilkieston and about 15 on board at max . Busier a bit on returning at 3 .both drivers however grounded bus drawing in at the Kassel kerbs . Just the skid plate under the door mind you . First time using Lcb and note no assault screen ,are they all like that? On looking at the tickets I understand the driver no ,trip ,bus , ticket , service .what I’m not getting is what Blk is .?
When Lothian took over the East Coast they said they wanted the buses used to have No Bandit screens as they felt the drivers could have a better “connection” with there “new customers” lol
No kiddin, this is what I got told in the short time I was there.
Im unsure if the B5TLs on the 124 are screenless, but the B8RLEs havent got any.

I feel it is a good idea though, the lothian MD seems a very customer focused sort.

I remember Glasgow tried that with no bandit screens for the X78 when it started.outcry from the drivers and it didn’t last long but I get the concept .it does feel a better interaction .not forgetting the better view for the driver as no reflections off the screens ,which bug me .

VioletEclipse

I don't know if it's just me but it looks rather plain, and i'm talking about the exterior not the lack of bums on seats. It needs some lettering or something.
A list of the places the 280 goes to along the side of the roof would make it a bit less plain, I wonder if they'll do it.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
A list of the places the 280 goes to along the side of the roof would make it a bit less plain, I wonder if they'll do it.

Lothian seem to be against the idea of route branding, despite the fact it would raise the profile of the route and increase passenger numbers!

Gingerbus1991

Lothian seem to be against the idea of route branding, despite the fact it would raise the profile of the route and increase passenger numbers!
Lothian already have a very high following in edinburgh anyways with a high rep amongst the residents there, I reckon its became a factor that branding is not needed for everyone to look at the buses, particularly when there latest standard livery attractive anyways, the biggest bonus for no branding is there ability to put a vehicle onto any route without it looking out of place, I think FiGs Sky Blue, Red and Yellow fronts just look wrong, tacky and cheap.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Lothian already have a very high following in edinburgh anyways with a high rep amongst the residents there, I reckon its became a factor that branding is not needed for everyone to look at the buses, particularly when there latest standard livery attractive anyways, the biggest bonus for no branding is there ability to put a vehicle onto any route without it looking out of place, I think FiGs Sky Blue, Red and Yellow fronts just look wrong, tacky and cheap.

Further off topic smear comments at FirstGroup. Anyway! we're talking about Lothian Country rather than Lothian "city" here. The residents clearly have a very different approach to Lothian Buses in the West Lothian area, branding is a key way they could increase patronage. I agree that it's not need in Edinburgh, but certainly if they're wanting to expand then it's a useful tool.

Gingerbus1991

Further off topic smear comments at FirstGroup. Anyway! we're talking about Lothian Country rather than Lothian "city" here. The residents clearly have a very different approach to Lothian Buses in the West Lothian area, branding is a key way they could increase patronage. I agree that it's not need in Edinburgh, but certainly if they're wanting to expand then it's a useful tool.
I see the fleet for Lothian Country to be branded in some form, similar to the way that the Airlink, Skylink, East Coast or tours, the different colours used across the company signify the buses for the particular area they travel too or the routes that certain buses are used on whilst still maintaining the same design language, very similar to the SMT days.

Vinyl BRANDING used elsewhere, most of time is a way of getting people to look up and take notice of the bus, but really, does it increase ridership, very unlikely that it does, bus usage comes down to reliability, cost and driver helpfulness/friendliness, these are attributes that are rarely seen at FiG, buses are always leaky, dirty and unreliable, not to mention cold in the winter.
(apologies for the off topic, but considering there's a First/Lothian rivalry throughout this topic at the minute I do think these are valid points).
For years our services in glasgow are failing, you don't have to delve into the news far to see this for yourself, twitter is fastooned with irks of unhappy travelers, I might add not so much on the East Coast brethren.

overthewater

Established Member
YET, Lothian used to brand its buses, some in a very tacky way.... Remember the playing cards???

Jordan Adam

Established Member
YET, Lothian used to brand its buses, some in a very tacky way.... Remember the playing cards???

Morningside Masie says hi..... The old and current branding for the 26 is also on the rather tacky side! does very little to promote where the service goes other than the Zoo! The old 22 branding was much and such the same sadly. On the other hand most of the Airlink brands were quite attractive and smart, although the current branding less so!

Branding increases numbers as it heightens the profile of the service to new passengers, it also helps give routes identity. Granted Lothian don't really need to worry about increase numbers within Edinburgh. But certainly outside of Edinburgh it's something they should be looking in to. I think Scotland East & Glasgow's new branding is actually quite smart and attractive, granted the Yellow on the 75 isn't the best - but i wouldn't say it's awful either.

VioletEclipse

I loved the playing cards! I know they were tacky but I still loved them. The era of route branding at Lothian is over, but I think it would make a small (but noticeable) difference on services like the 280.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I loved the playing cards! I know they were tacky but I still loved them. The era of route branding at Lothian is over, but I think it would make a small (but noticeable) difference on services like the 280.

The orange on the 31 examples was a bit on the "eww" side. I must say though that looking at photos i love the old 49 branding that the Eclipses carried.

Gingerbus1991

And I'm glad there learning.

Albeit I do like the limerick type vinyls on the 26s, smart to come up with something that connects them to the zoo animals, but something g that isn't brash and in your face.

Established Member
The current zoo branded buses don't mention the 26 anywhere on them, so can be used on any route.

The big boss man allegedly doesn't like route branding, so I wouldn't expect to see it back anytime soon.

goldisgood

Personally I think that some branding, such as the branding for FiG and Stagecoach South can look very nice, but equally some can look very poor such as Stagecoach Midlands' on their single deckers. I'm also not a fan of Stagecoach West's way that they brand the Gold buses - I much prefer Oxfordshire's or Midlands'.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
Anyone here tried the X18/N28 yet? I tested the X18 this morning to Corstorphine, the timetable error that said there was no weekend service really confused people, and most folk got on just to ask if the bus goes to Livingston, only to get off. overall a fast and speedy journey. was quiet but being it was early on a Sunday morning I essentially wasn’t expecting much.

In Focus

Took the train 918 Bathgate to Edinburgh this morning and if this is the passengers this new ×18 is seeking to attract I'd say it's got no chance of being a success.
Approx 30/40 boarded at Bathgate, train was almost full with standing only available, further 20/30 boarded at Livingston North and Uphall , few got off at Edinburgh Park ,then Haymarket and Waterloo place , full journey time 27 minutes and £6.70 for an off peak return , there is no way Armadale, Bathgate/ Edinburgh can compete with that . It was the reason First X1 ,X2 services went to the wall and if anything the train is even better now, so for me it looks like LCB are relying on Uphall/ Broxburn sustaining this service against First 24/25 and that's a big ask to sustain a profitable route .

tbtc

Veteran Member
Took the train 918 Bathgate to Edinburgh this morning and if this is the passengers this new ×18 is seeking to attract I'd say it's got no chance of being a success.

Approx 30/40 boarded at Bathgate, train was almost full with standing only available, further 20/30 boarded at Livingston North and Uphall

I'd say that the evidence may point the other way.

If the train were very quiet then that might point to the Bathgate - Edinburgh market being fairly minimal (and therefore not enough to sustain both trains and fast buses).

But if the train was Standing Room Only then (even if only three coaches long) that means hundreds of passengers - Lothian would only have to attract 10% of them to make a bus service sustainable (and that's without creating new demand from the bus service).

I'm not saying that the bus will be a success, but if you are going to compete with trains then providing buses with a guaranteed seat against trains where there’s no guarantee of sitting down doesn’t seem like a bad tactic to me – at least the bus can offer seats as well as potentially more flexible fares etc etc.

Depending where you live in Bathgate or where you are getting off in Edinburgh, the bus might be more useful for some people and some people might prefer being sat down for an hour to being stood up against someone’s armpit for half an hour. Not everyone, but enough to make a market big enough for bus to compete

As an example, people are crammed onto Fife Circle trains so Stagecoach can find a gap in the market to run competitive coach services (which are unavoidably slower but there’s some people who can’t pay the premium for the faster trains).

East Coast Buses are slower than ScotRail from Dunbar/ North Berwick into Edinburgh, but the trains are so busy that some people will prefer a seat on a bus to the scrum at Waverley Station.

What would be the point in attacking *quiet* trains? If the train is relatively quiet then that wouldn’t suggest room for a new bus service (and, if the train is quiet enough for passengers to all get a seat then the bus loses one of its selling points).

overthewater

Established Member
Also if you live in Wester inch, you can get straight from your door to Edinburgh city centre ;) I dont think the demand is here for Armadale section, and again the bus will not be able to offer passenger the change to Edinburgh park without a walk OR more importantly North Edinburgh.

Lets wait till the next train strike/ faults on the line / Lack of Driver crews which are becoming even increase due to the overtime ban, X18 may will end up with lots of new passengers without even trying...

In Focus

Also if you live in Wester inch, you can get straight from your door to Edinburgh city centre ;) I dont think the demand is here for Armadale section, and again the bus will not be able to offer passenger the change to Edinburgh park without a walk OR more importantly North Edinburgh.

Lets wait till the next train strike/ faults on the line / Lack of Driver crews which are becoming even increase due to the overtime ban, X18 may will end up with lots of new passengers without even trying...
That maybe the case however like I say the X1 which was quicker than even the x18 couldn't cope and it served the Maybury , Corstorphine areas but just couldn't fend of the quickness and convenience of the train , but it will be an interesting experiment especially through 1st 3 months of 2019 which are invariably quiet and renowned for weather issues in West Lothian.

Gingerbus1991

When you consider that many people can step from the front door of there homes, 10ft to the pavement where they’ll(hopefully) find there car is parked, drive to the train station, get out the car, maybe 100ft to the train station platform with the massive benefit of a Half-Hour journey on the train to there destination, then hopefully not to far to the shops or work.

Do the maths everyone, unless the bus could litterally do the same journey in 15 minutes, flying buses for that matter, they are dead in the water where passengers have already been lost to trains.

Adding an insult to injury, in many areas where a bus doesnt take all that longer than a train, the train may well be on par with the bus, price wise, and many despite moaning about the cost of train tickets, many are already and obviously paying for the fuel to get to the train station, the road tax for there cars, MOT cost, maintenence, possibly finance as well, even though the combined cost of owning a car and taking the train vastly overweights the cost of the bus alone and most likely a cheaper car tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.