• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Lothian buses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gingerbus1991

A few points here lads ,personally I would have used ex Lothian stock totally agree there ultimately they had the choice to buy or walk away ,yes they are ex first stock and some of us know what ingenious fixes the engineering dept could come up with ,yes they have small tanks I'm led to believe this will be rectified,time will tell ,buses only get fuelled once per day round about between 11 and 2 ish not every run ! Overheating probs are normally down to an elbow hose just above the gearbox failing hardly a catastrophic failure I've only ever heard of 1 bus having injector problems ? Normally poor performance if the boost gauge is any barometer is lack of boost ,and or blocked filters ,not injectors ! Top speed issues are normally because the limiter is set to low ,and in any case apart from overheating issues you can normally keep reasonably good time frustrating yes but a major problem no,and finally the blue buses or what ever the colours of the month are break too !!!
Agreed

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darklord8899

A few points here lads ,personally I would have used ex Lothian stock totally agree there ultimately they had the choice to buy or walk away ,yes they are ex first stock and some of us know what ingenious fixes the engineering dept could come up with ,yes they have small tanks I'm led to believe this will be rectified,time will tell ,buses only get fuelled once per day round about between 11 and 2 ish not every run ! Overheating probs are normally down to an elbow hose just above the gearbox failing hardly a catastrophic failure I've only ever heard of 1 bus having injector problems ? Normally poor performance if the boost gauge is any barometer is lack of boost ,and or blocked filters ,not injectors ! Top speed issues are normally because the limiter is set to low ,and in any case apart from overheating issues you can normally keep reasonably good time frustrating yes but a major problem no,and finally the blue buses or what ever the colours of the month are break too !!!

Is the small tank size why I often see out of service LCB returning to Longstone in the Afternoon with other buses heading out west out of service (somewhere around 3.30pm-4pm)

Driver362

Yes , rtn from 280/7 , there are various different ways it's done ,believe tank was the standard size , first London must not have saw the need for the big tanks but fse Gemini have the large tank ,however "low fullers" have always been around since I've been on buses suppose the peeps.ordering didn't spec big tanks I know the ones I drove out the wrapper in 07 would easily run for two days on.a.tank !

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
After Phase 3 hits in a few weeks, what will LCB do next for 2019, It’s hard to pinpoint if they will introduce a new service in 2019 or revise the current services?

Obviously there’s talks of contactless being rolled across the three company’s, and hopefully a review on the ticketing structure, but in terms of new ground, I can see them trying to reach Kirkliston soon, they get enough demand for it on social media as it is...

Jordan Adam

Established Member
After Phase 3 hits in a few weeks, what will LCB do next for 2019, It’s hard to pinpoint if they will introduce a new service in 2019 or revise the current services?

Obviously there’s talks of contactless being rolled across the three company’s, and hopefully a review on the ticketing structure, but in terms of new ground, I can see them trying to reach Kirkliston soon, they get enough demand for it on social media as it is...

Social Media demand and actual passenger demand are two different things though. All to often do we see large groups of people protest for a service that they never use.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
With regards to Kirkliston I just see the same few individuals moaning, hardly enough to justify anything. First serve the area with a sufficient service IMO and the 63 is a different ball game so expansion there would be rather pointless

overthewater

Established Member
Smart money would be on bus to Kirkliston and Winchburgh, but going by Lothians track record right now another crap idea. People are not moaning, I have seen 14 people left behind at single stop on Saturday mid morning.. Saturday morning are bad for overcrowded 38s heading into Edinburgh..

In Focus

If anything comes out of their move into West Lothian it will to take Social Media and the habitual complainers with a pinch of salt.
I think they will have a long hard look at getting revenue into what they have before they consider anymore cash sapping wild ideas for bus routes.

SpeedbirdA350

Not so sure but if I were to take a guess, I'd say extend the 275 to Harthill, and try catch folk who come off the Glasgow bus at the service station, and perhaps look at a new route serving Bo'ness and Linlithgow. I do think however they have to look at the overall structure of the current services, and the times and see if they can tweak things.

I think where LCB win, is going express in to Edinburgh, via the West Approach Road. No getting stuck in Gorgie Road etc..

In Focus

Not so sure but if I were to take a guess, I'd say extend the 275 to Harthill, and try catch folk who come off the Glasgow bus at the service station, and perhaps look at a new route serving Bo'ness and Linlithgow. I do think however they have to look at the overall structure of the current services, and the times and see if they can tweak things.

I think where LCB win, is going express in to Edinburgh, via the West Approach Road. No getting stuck in Gorgie Road etc..
Big mistake missing out West End ,Haymarket and Gorgie Road in my opinion. Although I think their bigger issues lie in West Lothian itself and if this X18 doesn't cut the mustard id say they have a serious problem if current numbers don't increase drastically over this festive period as first 3 months of the year are renowned for being quiet in West Lothian and the weather can have a massive effect on public service travel, it's a million miles from what they experience in Edinburgh.

SpeedbirdA350

Big mistake missing out West End ,Haymarket and Gorgie Road in my opinion. Although I think their bigger issues lie in West Lothian itself and if this X18 doesn't cut the mustard id say they have a serious problem if current numbers don't increase drastically over this festive period as first 3 months of the year are renowned for being quiet in West Lothian and the weather can have a massive effect on public service travel, it's a million miles from what they experience in Edinburgh.
Given the roadworks in Gorgie road, and traffic issues that you can have, in rush hour especially on that whole corridor, it makes sense to me to go via WAR than it does via Gorgie. Yes, it's cutting out stops that it could service, however Dalry folk just need to walk up to Fountainpark to catch it and would it do any better going head to head in direct competition with First mirroring the whole route?

I know it's a drum that has been beat so many times but I think if they sorted the ridacard, it would remove more of that being an issue for those who don't live nearer to a LCB bus stop as they can get another bus to another stop closer, just like most folk do in Edinburgh when going somewhere anyway. It needs to be a priority for them, but will they even bother?

TheEastCoaster

Established Member

What confuses me is that I’m unsure if Harthill is even in West Lothian or just on the boundary, (same with Bo’Ness) I couldn’t imagine Lothian stepping out their region on normal services, Though having it named on the zonal map might indicate it’s a thought, maybe once the X18 hits off they could extend that to Whitburn to connect the two services.

I agree with that, though do you think maybe the X27/X28 would benefit with another stop inbetween Saughton and Sainsbury’s? it’s much faster which is a great benefit but maybe having it stop at Saughton Park or Chesser Avenue might add a few more passengers/help connect to other services easier from West Lothian.

I think the X18 will be a good service, while some folk may prefer the train from Bathgate/Armadale, it looks to be a very smooth journey to Edinburgh in an hour which will move people from the X27/X28 to the X18 in a heartbeat, plus Wester Inch will get a direct city service which will be nice, though I can’t comment if it will be popular or not! I remain optimistic on this service, plus the Corstorphine corridor will be more popular with commuters compared to the Sighthill corridor, especially with it serving plenty of stops along the way so I can see more folk using this service, time will tell

SpeedbirdA350

What confuses me is that I’m unsure if Harthill is even in West Lothian or just on the boundary, (same with Bo’Ness) I couldn’t imagine Lothian stepping out their region on normal services, Though having it named on the zonal map might indicate it’s a thought, maybe once the X18 hits off they could extend that to Whitburn to connect the two services.
Harthill is technocally in North Lanarkshire (only about a mile from the end of the 275 route and within about quarter of a mile from the border to WL), but I would not think that would make much of a difference? It's always been a big question if it would as if not, then it makes sense to extend it. As for Bo'ness, that is tricky as it's in Falkirk Council zone, with an EH51 postal code, and historically was part of WL. Given the postal code being Edinburgh based...

I agree with that, though do you think maybe the X27/X28 would benefit with another stop inbetween Saughton and Sainsbury’s? it’s much faster which is a great benefit but maybe having it stop at Saughton Park or Chesser Avenue might add a few more passengers/help connect to other services easier from West Lothian.

I think the X27/X28 could add another stop on Gorgie Road near Chesser Avenue, but I still think they should go via the park and ride at Riccarton (I know the road layout is not ideal for the return in to Edinburgh, but it's doable). It picks up people who might want to park there instead of driving in to roundabout city aka Livingston, etc..

I think the X18 will be a good service, while some folk may prefer the train from Bathgate/Armadale, it looks to be a very smooth journey to Edinburgh in an hour which will move people from the X27/X28 to the X18 in a heartbeat, plus Wester Inch will get a direct city service which will be nice, though I can’t comment if it will be popular or not! I remain optimistic on this service, plus the Corstorphine corridor will be more popular with commuters compared to the Sighthill corridor, especially with it serving plenty of stops along the way so I can see more folk using this service, time will tell

The only thing that concerns me about this X18 route, is that Corstorphine corridor. At certain times of the day, that road becomes like a carpark, often when people are going to and from work, not shockingly! That is why more people prefer the train to the bus, however I think it also depends on how the council act over the bus lanes and in making them 7/7/7, but also in keeping them clear of parked vehicles. No point in having a bus lane even 24/7 if there is no enforcement on parking, and if you look around the St Johns road area, it's a nightmare sometimes for rogue parking. However, some parts of that corridor have no bus lane.

overthewater

Established Member
Harthill is right next to West lothian.. # FYI First used to go to the services instead of Eastfield but it never resulted in any more passengers.
Harthill.PNG

Last edited:

Roger French

Readers may be interested in my latest blogpost - The battle for West Lothian....
https://busandtrainuser.com

A right royal bus battle is underway in West Lothian with more salvos being fired this weekend.

At the beginning of August First Bus gave their extensive network based on Livingston a good old sort out introducing a simplified route pattern offering quicker journeys and new links into Edinburgh’s city centre and airport...

Meanwhile Lothian Buses, under its Lothian Country brand, decided to not only fill those gaps but also expand its western flank into Livingston and onward to Bathgate, Armadale and Blackridge with new competitive routes challenging First’s new network.

I’d read all the PR spin from both companies about the changes so thought I’d pop up there yesterday and take a look to see what’s occurring...

Last edited by a moderator:

smtglasgow

Yes - a fair analysis from someone with a wealth of experience. 2019 looks like an interesting year in West Lothian. It’s very likely someone will have to blink – there’s enough business for one decent operator, not two.

In Focus

Yes - a fair analysis from someone with a wealth of experience. 2019 looks like an interesting year in West Lothian. It’s very likely someone will have to blink – there’s enough business for one decent operator, not two.
100% correct .

overthewater

Established Member
I sure hes mist the point first how 7 / 28 day ticket while first only has 5 /20 day tickets

Gingerbus1991

Certainly on a lot of corridors that would be the case if not all .
Then again though, the trains can only grow so much, my local rail station is over flowing with parked cars all day, cars usually get abandoned on pavements etc.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
LCB starting contactless on Saturday.

It’s about time, though surprised they went with the West Lothian services before the city ones first, should probably attract more passangers along with the new X18, still waiting for that West Lothian ridacard though..

Status
Not open for further replies.