• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

cammyeaston

I got the impression rightly or wrongly that 591-4 we're working away presumably without issue at LC, got repainted and transferred to ECB and broke almost immediately.

I struggle to see that the route profiles are so drastically different between the two?

Both have reasonable running in back country roads / some fast dual carriageway work - but is it that different?
I'm not sure what the specific issue is, but the only major environmental difference would be the "saltier" air on the East Coast. I doubt that would cause an issue but as you say, there isn't any other factor too dissimilar to West Lothian ops.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

stevenedin

Established Member
These would do well at longstone for city work I would have thought
I agree or even at Central on the 23 or 10 although it depends on if they struggled with hills.

I'm not sure what the specific issue is, but the only major environmental difference would be the "saltier" air on the East Coast. I doubt that would cause an issue but as you say, there isn't any other factor too dissimilar to West Lothian ops.
Possibly longer running fast on the A1 if on the X6 but I agree. The X27 and X28 have fast running on the A71 and the X18 on between Broxburn and Maybury.

I agree or even at Central on the 23 or 10 although it depends on if they struggled with hills.

Possibly longer running fast on the A1 if on the X6 but I agree. The X27 and X28 have fast running on the A71 and the X18 on between Broxburn and Maybury.
They seemed to be used on the 104 (X6) quite regularly, I'm vey unsure on what the problem is, but it must be something to do with East Coast Buses as these issues seemed to happen immediately.

scosutsut

They seemed to be used on the 104 (X6) quite regularly, I'm vey unsure on what the problem is, but it must be something to do with East Coast Buses as these issues seemed to happen immediately.
That was cited before but a quick check on maps and the A1 stretch of the route is less than 4 miles! 3.7 to be precise from Asda The Jewel to the Wallyford turnoff.

A bit of speed running on the back roads after that but again never unbroken for more than a mile or two before there is a village or town changing the speed limit.

It's quite unusual especially as it appeared to universally apply to all 4 of them. Unless perhaps it was just coincidental timing - the batteries being life expired and ECB being landed with a freshly painted problem!

It feels a stretch though.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
I’m currently on bus number 13 (BT14 DJY).

It looks to have had a new internal LCD monitor fitted (though it’s only displaying the Lothian logo!)

Are Lothian starting to refit the internal passenger information systems on older buses?

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
I’m currently on bus number 13 (BT14 DJY).

It looks to have had a new internal LCD monitor fitted (though it’s only displaying the Lothian logo!)

Are Lothian starting to refit the internal passenger information systems on older buses?
As far as I knew most of these always had the screens. The 13 plate Eclipse2’s are in a similar situation.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
As far as I knew most of these always had the screens. The 13 plate Eclipse2’s are in a similar situation.
That's correct. All of 1-50 had them and they were functional, although I can't remember when Lothian phased out the system. Some lost them, some didn't. If I recall correctly bus 14 has an error message stuck on it's screen, that may have changed since considering it's been a while especially with it being reserved.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
(I think 401-425 had the same system?)
I believe the system on this batch is still there; it’s just no longer used or isn’t compatible with the Hanovers or newer style Mobitec set up. 426-437 would also have had this system when new, but have now been fully converted to work on the Hanover system. Even 195-199 and 201-215 would’ve had this system too.

Strangely enough 186-190 did continue to have working screens/announcements when they were repainted into Skylink colours and fitted with Hanovers. I don’t remember this lasting long though. A set up like this may well now no longer be possible now.

The system that was on 937-950 again I think was another completely different system, but ultimately displayed itself in the same way as the later batches did. Could well be wrong there though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Established Member
That's correct. All of 1-50 had them and they were functional, although I can't remember when Lothian phased out the system. Some lost them, some didn't. If I recall correctly bus 14 has an error message stuck on it's screen, that may have changed since considering it's been a while especially with it being reserved.
They were only ever fitted to 1-30.
31-50 had the fittings for the screens but they were never installed, so presumably that particular system had been abandoned by mid to late 2014 when those buses were delivered.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
They were only ever fitted to 1-30.
31-50 had the fittings for the screens but they were never installed, so presumably that particular system had been abandoned by mid to late 2014 when those buses were delivered.
Thanks for that - Interesting. The system itself wouldn't have been abandoned as 551-570 as mentioned have received them but wete new in 2015. The Skylink B7RLEs still had them way after 2014 and 2015 and were still in functional use for 200 operations in 2017. They lost the system as soon as the 200 moved to deckers.

stevenedin

Established Member
It’s crazy to think that those buses all had announcement systems and 441-465 didn’t have any but were newer.

I remember them on the 10 and the 34 mainly back in those days.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
It’s crazy to think that those buses all had announcement systems and 441-465 didn’t have any but were newer.

I remember them on the 10 and the 34 mainly back in those days.
Certainly. I would've liked if at one point they received them, like 426-437 (new with old system, but all upgraded with new system when being converted out of airport buses).

Certainly. I would've liked if at one point they received them, like 426-437 (new with old system, but all upgraded with new system when being converted out of airport buses).
I would like to see all of the buses that don't have announcement systems to receive them, you could probably make exceptions, e.g. All buses Pre-2015 not to get them, which means that the following wouldn't receive them;
1-50, 171-190, 195-199, 201-215, 351-400, 401-425, 591-594, 841-850, 926-960, 1000-1050, 1141-1153. (Including buses in storage.)

Some of which have already had them in the past. Lets just hope the 15 plate Hybrids get them.
That's 259 buses, I don't think it would make sense to give these buses Next Stop Announcements given their ages, so I'd probably focus on the newest buses (That don't have them.)

I don't know what this gives to the table but I just wanted to point that out.

stevenedin

Established Member
I would like to see all of the buses that don't have announcement systems to receive them, you could probably make exceptions, e.g. All buses Pre-2015 not to get them, which means that the following wouldn't receive them;
1-50, 171-190, 195-199, 201-215, 351-400, 401-425, 591-594, 841-850, 926-960, 1000-1050, 1141-1153. (Including buses in storage.)

Some of which have already had them in the past. Lets just hope the 15 plate Hybrids get them.
That's 259 buses, I don't think it would make sense to give these buses Next Stop Announcements given their ages, so I'd probably focus on the newest buses (That don't have them.)

401-425 were new in 2015 also.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member

Like you say, I can’t see them fitting them to the missing 7900’s, 171-173, 591-594, or to any of the B9TL’s. I equally can’t see them being re-instated on the the later Eclipse2’s, the Enviro 400’s, or the 7900’s that had them as well. The majority of these buses I’d say are only part of the fleet in the short term now, and therefore are not probably worth doing.

441-465 and 551-570 are probably the ‘easiest’ to be done. They can have the set up just like all later Gemini3’s had. It should be noted it took several weeks for 426-437 to have all of those mods done, although admittedly that wasn’t just the announcements that they got fitted mind you.

401-404, 406-425 would possibly need a different set up due to the different body they have, but it should still be possible to fit these with announcements.

Talking about announcements, there are some buses that have bad visual displays, or the announcements are too quiet or don’t work at all. Surprisingly this includes (but is not limited to), the Evora’s and also the B5TL E400mmc’s.
401-425 were new in 2015 also.
401-425 I believe first entered service in November/December 2014, with the last entering service in January 2015.

stevenedin

Established Member
Like you say, I can’t see them fitting them to the missing 7900’s, 171-173, 591-594, or to any of the B9TL’s. I equally can’t see them being re-instated on the the later Eclipse2’s, the Enviro 400’s, or the 7900’s that had them as well. The majority of these buses I’d say are only part of the fleet in the short term now, and therefore are not probably worth doing.

441-465 and 551-570 are probably the ‘easiest’ to be done. They can have the set up just like all later Gemini3’s had. It should be noted it took several weeks for 426-437 to have all of those mods done, although admittedly that wasn’t just the announcements that they got fitted mind you.

401-404, 406-425 would possibly need a different set up due to the different body they have, but it should still be possible to fit these with announcements.

Talking about announcements, there are some buses that have bad visual displays, or the announcements are too quiet or don’t work at all. Surprisingly this includes (but is not limited to), the Evora’s and also the B5TL E400mmc’s.

401-425 I believe first entered service in November/December 2014, with the last entering service in January 2015.
I know what you mean about announcements being too low. How do they expect people to hear them especially if the bus is busy and also the fault where the screen is to the left too much and cuts off the left hand side.

I didn’t realise. Thanks I always thought they entered in the first quarter of 2015.

eh1

Announcement volumes can be adjusted, it just requires someone to go through and change them. I do agree, we need them on more buses. Perhaps adding landmarks in too, for example Victoria Street adds "for the royal mile and Edinburgh castle". Same could be added for Waverley steps (Waverley Station), the Mound (for East Side of prince's street), etc.

stevenedin

Established Member
Announcement volumes can be adjusted, it just requires someone to go through and change them. I do agree, we need them on more buses. Perhaps adding landmarks in too, for example Victoria Street adds "for the royal mile and Edinburgh castle". Same could be added for Waverley steps (Waverley Station), the Mound (for East Side of prince's street), etc.
They used to say “for bus connections with services…” but I don’t know when they stopped announcing them?

Bus9120UK

Established Member
They used to say “for bus connections with services…” but I don’t know when they stopped announcing them?
This was Airlink only. I don't think it occurs anymore, but it still advises local hotels and where local buses can take you. All screens continue to display bus connections however.

stevenedin

Established Member
This was Airlink only. I don't think it occurs anymore, but it still advised local hotels.
I’m sure it used to be on other services too but I could be wrong. I remember it reading out the list when it got near Princes Street and it was a long list.

I’m sure it used to be on other services too but I could be wrong. I remember it reading out the list when it got near Princes Street and it was a long list.
It would've probably been the 1 or the 10 which were the EcoLothianBuses routes (generally.)

If I were to guess.

eh1

This was Airlink only. I don't think it occurs anymore, but it still advises local hotels and where local buses can take you. All screens continue to display bus connections however.
Airlink still does this at Drum Brae, Western Corner, Shandwick and Princes Street for bus connections. At Drumr Brae it lists numbers, West End / Princes Street it lists common areas buses run to.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
Airlink still does this at Drum Brae, Western Corner, Shandwick and Princes Street for bus connections. At Drumr Brae it lists numbers, West End / Princes Street it lists common areas buses run to.
Thanks for the correction. I remember this now, I only last travelled on this service two weeks ago!

VioletEclipse

Some announcements are definitely too quiet, and espescially on the MMCs quite a few screens are just blank or not working, but I have had a few experiences where I've found the announcements uncomfortably loud, I don't know if anyone else has had similar experiences.

Announcing connections would be nice, but as bus stops are so frequent it could create the issue of almost constant announcements and risk getting excessive and annoying.

Some announcements are definitely too quiet, and espescially on the MMCs quite a few screens are just blank or not working, but I have had a few experiences where I've found the announcements uncomfortably loud, I don't know if anyone else has had similar experiences.

Announcing connections would be nice, but as bus stops are so frequent it could create the issue of almost constant announcements and risk getting excessive and annoying.
Only Major stops I'd say, e.g. Musselburgh High Street, Portobello Town Hall (or King's Road,) Prince's Street, Gyle Centre, and the list goes on.

eh1

Thanks for the correction. I remember this now, I only last travelled on this service two weeks ago!
Sorry, wasn't meant to be a correction more of just adding a bit of info in! Also interesting to note that airlink only calls its stopping pattern when leaving the airport, not on the way out

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Also interesting to note that airlink only calls its stopping pattern when leaving the airport, not on the way out
I suppose it doesn’t need to. Announcing the next stops towards the Airport as they approach are fine for the odd user that gets off at them, whereas in the other direction more people will be getting off at the different stops.

eh1

I suppose it doesn’t need to. Announcing the next stops towards the Airport as they approach are fine for the odd user that gets off at them, whereas in the other direction more people will be getting off at the different stops.
If you ever go on a rush-hour 100, you'll find at least half the bus get off before the airport!

Bus9120UK

Established Member
Shared with permission from Jason Gillblox... Also with new moquette put in place inside

Lothian 190 freshly repainted again into Lothian city colours.
Image_20230120_162937_982.jpeg