• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

Lothiangem22

As a student at Heriot Watt, there is definitely demand. The 25 to Heriot Watt in the morning and to the city in the evening are often full and standing, with the majority of passengers travelling to/from the campus and Sighthill. An express service would certainly be welcome and well-used, in my opinion.
As someone who was occasionally drives this route, the 25 can often leave Heriot watt full. The campus and the park and ride are serious money earners for lothian…
I believe some major changes are expected when the tram goes live and we could easily see the return of ghe X25 then

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GordonT

It probably comes down to rules and regulations regarding a timetabled journey and a duplicate journey

(I'm not an expert by any means, but I believe there are differences, like there is no requirement to show a duplicate journey in the published timetable)
Perhaps it doesn't run during Uni/College holidays and it can be quietly withdrawn at such times as an unadvertised duplicate to a timetabled service?

stevenedin

As someone who was occasionally drives this route, the 25 can often leave Heriot watt full. The campus and the park and ride are serious money earners for lothian…
I believe some major changes are expected when the tram goes live and we could easily see the return of ghe X25 then
The X25 return would be nice and ideally as I mentioned previously hourly 7 days a week daytime. It could potentially also go to Craigentinny like it currently does but via Waterloo Place, Regent Road, Montrose Terrace, London Road, Marionville Road to Lochend Drive and continue the along the current 25 route from there which would give people of Lochend, Restalrig and Craigentinny an express service also.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
And another fast bus along this corridor and a further fast bus on this flow would take pressure off some of the East coast services and maybe allow them to be further speeded up, perhaps non-stop Waterloo place to abbeyhill then meadowbank house then as currently. This would easily shave another 3 or 4 minutes off journey times. X25 could be half hourly Monday to Saturday de4 we've 1 bus terminating at marionville road and the other running too to craigentinny or maybe even Portobello Town hall restoring the direct Waverley station bus for residents who miss it and providing an hourly express service to the city, something that I would say it's definitely justified for most of the year and would be an absolute gold mine on days when the sun comes out in particular

Established Member
I wonder when Lothian will announce the service changes for Leith Walk since it is opening at the Leith end on 13th February according to tye Trams to Newhaven Newsletter
There probably won't be any as the last service changes were already in preparation for the reopening of Leith Walk.
All the buses are already timetabled for it, with the diversions being changed away from Easter Road to Mcdonald Road, Broughton Road and Bonnington Road as a temporary measure until it reopens.

And another fast bus along this corridor and a further fast bus on this flow would take pressure off some of the East coast services and maybe allow them to be further speeded up, perhaps non-stop Waterloo place to abbeyhill then meadowbank house then as currently. This would easily shave another 3 or 4 minutes off journey times. X25 could be half hourly Monday to Saturday de4 we've 1 bus terminating at marionville road and the other running too to craigentinny or maybe even Portobello Town hall restoring the direct Waverley station bus for residents who miss it and providing an hourly express service to the city, something that I would say it's definitely justified for most of the year and would be an absolute gold mine on days when the sun comes out in particular
East Coast Buses don't seem to struggle in that area from what I've seen. There are some people use them from Princes Street/Waterloo Place to Meadowbank House but not a lot, and I think that is acceptable given there is no other directly comparable service (all the Lothian buses run local whereas only the East Coast buses run express).

I agree that Portobello in the summer when the sun is out gets busy though. It's still amazing to me that (before COVID) there was a 26 every seven and a half minutes and at times they were still running full and standing.

How much slack is there in the open-top fleet? I'm thinking rather than wasting resources on an X25 to Portobello all year round and on horrible days, it might be more efficient to just run route 26 duplicates on busy days to Portobello or Musselburgh? I'm mentioning the open-tops because they would be ideal for it but obviously any double decker would do.

(Idea: sell 351-400 but keep 951-960 and convert to open-tops for summer and maybe the 3 Bridges tour? :idea:)

GordonT

How much slack is there in the open-top fleet? I'm thinking rather than wasting resources on an X25 to Portobello all year round and on horrible days, it might be more efficient to just run route 26 duplicates on busy days to Portobello or Musselburgh? I'm mentioning the open-tops because they would be ideal for it but obviously any double decker would do.
That sounds like an excellent idea.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member

(Idea: sell 351-400 but keep 951-960 and convert to open-tops for summer and maybe the 3 Bridges tour? :idea:)
There’s loads of slack in the Tour Fleet. 230-234 are branded up for the pretty pointless Cobbles’ Tour while 229 hasn’t been used a lot since use since the Pandemic began - it was last out in September 2021. 249 and 250 remain good options for spares across the division but are still frequently used. 250 can often be found sitting on Market Street on a number of days as a standby bus.

As far as I knew the Cobbles’ Tour was only brought in so that Ticket sellers could be reintroduced to the Lawnmarket. The tour itself wasn’t busy last year, and I’d question if it will return. Again if it does it’ll likely be due to the ticket selling, and not for loadings.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
I agree that Portobello in the summer when the sun is out gets busy though. It's still amazing to me that (before COVID) there was a 26 every seven and a half minutes and at times they were still running full and standing.

I still stand on the fact ECB might have made a mistake taking the 124 out of Portobello, considering it provided Joppa with another alternative along with the 26 and 45 and provided Portobello with a link to the other East Lothian beach towns beyond Seton Sands, if they kept the limited stop aspect (renumbered It X24 and had it stop at Meadowbank House, Kings Road, Portobello Town Hall, Morton Street and then all stops to North Berwick then it would have been perfect!

The only other option I could think of is to extend the 15 back to Eastfield for the summer! or at a push Levenhall or Wallyford!

Last edited by a moderator:
I still stand on the fact ECB might of made a mistake taking the 124 out of portobello, considering it provided Joppa with another alternative along with the 26 and 45 and provided Portobello with a link to the other East Lothian beach towns beyond Seton Sands, if they kept the limited stop aspect (renumbered It X24 and had it stop at Meadowbank House, Kings Road, Portobello Town Hall, Morton Street and then all stops to North Berwick then it would of been perfect!
Yeah, I'm not too sure about this. On the one hand having both the 124 and 113 limited stop over the same route is good as it gives a reliable limited stop service to Musselburgh every 15 minutes. On the other hand going via Portobello is less distance and it's definitely noticeable when there's no traffic.

Either way I don't see the route changing any time soon, it's not perfect having the 124 go via Duddingston but it certainly could be worse.

I am just brainstorming, and I know there's probably a lot of downside to this, but what if they made the 124 go down by Joppa and go via. Duddingston Village? This would link Portobello with Wallyford, Give Duddingston Village another link and still use the bus lanes most of the way after Musselburgh.

According to Google, this would take around the same amount of time. I haven't listed the prominent cons though. They'd have to add another bus stop at the cobbled area, and this would probably clog traffic a tad, although cars already park there. I just thought this might be reasonable if it were tweaked.

I have typed up a short summary of all the current Lothian Buses services (not done Country or East Coast yet) including rough route and current frequency. I had intended on adding this to the Wikipedia page to create a written record of the routes as they are now such that a history could be maintained as the timetables change in the future. However I see from the Edit History on Wikipedia that a summary of the routes had already existed but was removed from the article. Is it unadvisable to try to add such summaries as I described? For what it's worth I had intended on giving each route its own drop-down section (e.g. spoiler, below), so that it wouldn't clutter up the main article.
For example:
Route 1 currently (when?) runs between Clermiston and Seafield, via Corstorphine, Stenhouse, Gorgie, Fountainbridge, City Centre/Princes Street, and Easter Road. Frequency Monday to Saturday daytimes is every 20 minutes. Frequency Monday to Saturday evenings and all day Sundays is every 30 minutes.
Route 2 currently (when?) runs between Gyle Centre and The Jewel (ASDA), via Hermiston Gait, Broomhouse, Haymarket, Surgeons’ Hall, and Niddrie. It avoids Princes Street, instead operating via the Grassmarket. Frequency Monday to Saturday daytimes is every 20 minutes. Frequency Monday to Saturday evenings and all day Sundays is every 30 minutes. Gyle Centre is not served Monday to Saturday late evenings and at all Sundays, with buses instead terminating at Hermiston Gait.
Service 42 was discontinued (when?). It used to run between Craigleith(?) and King’s Road (Portobello). The section between Craigleith and Potterrow was removed without direct replacement due to low usage, although all stops on this section are still in use by other services. The section between Potterrow and King’s Road was replaced by extending Service 12.
I've used "(when?)" and "(?)" where I'm not sure of exact details.

frvic93

Sorry if this has been discussed already, but are there any plans to extend the 14 any further at the southern end? Maybe to cover the new housing in Danderhall, which is quite far from the main road?

Sorry if this has been discussed already, but are there any plans to extend the 14 any further at the southern end? Maybe to cover the new housing in Danderhall, which is quite far from the main road?
Nobody truly knows except Lothian really, if I were to guess, I don't think so. The Service 33 serves Millerhill, so it could possibly go inside Danderhall but Services 48/49 (along with the 33) already go outside of Danderhall. Prentice Service 111 serves Danderhall, so it's not like the estate doesn't already have a link.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
There doesn’t appear to be any plans at the minute. I was always under the impression that it would be one of the routes extended to Shawfair when it was big enough. That project hasn’t quite gone to plan so far, so it will likely be some time before it could be extended I’d say.

Shawfair could probably have as many as four bus routes. The 14 and 33 are two, but any others would likely be extension of buses that currently terminate at the Royal Infirmary and I’m not sure which ones they would pick.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
178, the third of fifteen B7RLEs is away for paint this morning. This will be going into madder and white like the rest.

DunsBus

Established Member
Nobody truly knows except Lothian really, if I were to guess, I don't think so. The Service 33 serves Millerhill, so it could possibly go inside Danderhall but Services 48/49 (along with the 33) already go outside of Danderhall. Prentice Service 111 serves Danderhall, so it's not like the estate doesn't already have a link.
For a spell between 2000 and 2008 Lothian ran a service into Danderhall itself, IIRC.

oldman

For a spell between 2000 and 2008 Lothian ran a service into Danderhall itself, IIRC.
You do RC, that was the 49. Then they got a Midlothian contract to extend some journeys to Rosewell to replace a withdrawn First service (79?) and gradually that turned into the whole route being extended.

There doesn’t appear to be any plans at the minute. I was always under the impression that it would be one of the routes extended to Shawfair when it was big enough. That project hasn’t quite gone to plan so far, so it will likely be some time before it could be extended I’d say.

Shawfair could probably have as many as four bus routes. The 14 and 33 are two, but any others would likely be extension of buses that currently terminate at the Royal Infirmary and I’m not sure which ones they would pick.
I think one of them could be the Service 45, because even though it's meant to be a university, college and school link, it would probably still benefit the community, especially if they go and attend Herriot Watt University.

DunsBus

Established Member
You do RC, that was the 49. Then they got a Midlothian contract to extend some journeys to Rosewell to replace a withdrawn First service (79?) and gradually that turned into the whole route being extended.
I remember that well. The withdrawal of the First 79 left Rosewell and Bonnyrigg without a direct bus to what was then the new Royal Infirmary, which was why the 49 was extended. There was a hint of irony as Lothian had withdrawn from Rosewell a few years earlier with the 82 curtailed to Danderhall, only to go back out there with its successor after First scrapped the 79.

VioletEclipse

I think one of them could be the Service 45, because even though it's meant to be a university, college and school link, it would probably still benefit the community, especially if they go and attend Herriot Watt University.
On the topic of service 45, one thing I have noticed multiple times is a Gemini 2 on the 45 with about 10-15 people onboard which could easily be a single deck, then the journey after, now at peak rush hour, operated by a Volvo 7900 with all the seats taken and up to 20 people standing. I understand how it happens, but I've heard many people complain about how Lothian seemingly don't line up bus types with specific journeys effectively.

stevenedin

I remember that well. The withdrawal of the First 79 left Rosewell and Bonnyrigg without a direct bus to what was then the new Royal Infirmary, which was why the 49 was extended. There was a hint of irony as Lothian had withdrawn from Rosewell a few years earlier with the 82 curtailed to Danderhall, only to go back out there with its successor after First scrapped the 79.
I also remember a 78 replacing the 79 but via Gilmerton Road instead of Old Dalkeith Road.

On the topic of service 45, one thing I have noticed multiple times is a Gemini 2 on the 45 with about 10-15 people onboard which could easily be a single deck, then the journey after, now at peak rush hour, operated by a Volvo 7900 with all the seats taken and up to 20 people standing. I understand how it happens, but I've heard many people complain about how Lothian seemingly don't line up bus types with specific journeys effectively.
I was on a Gemini 2 on my own from Abbeyhill to Musselburgh, this was on a Service 45.

I was on a Gemini 2 on my own from Abbeyhill to Musselburgh, this was on a Service 45.
I feel like the 45 can get very busy at times, I've been it full and standing at George Watson's College at times, and I'd imagine serving Heriot-Watt means it's busy at certain times. I wonder if it's one of the routes lined up for the B7RLEs once they're ready? As they have more capacity than 7900s. I think ideally though it would be permanently allocated short B9TLs.

I feel like the 45 can get very busy at times, I've been it full and standing at George Watson's College at times, and I'd imagine serving Heriot-Watt means it's busy at certain times. I wonder if it's one of the routes lined up for the B7RLEs once they're ready? As they have more capacity than 7900s. I think ideally though it would be permanently allocated short B9TLs.
I think that 1141-1153 would be suited to the position; they are double deckers with more capacity than singles but less than all of our other doubles. The 45 is a very busy route, especially when people start leaving and going into University & College. I think B7RLEs will all go to Central, so I doubt they will ever go on the 45.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
I think that 1141-1153 would be suited to the position; they are double deckers with more capacity than singles but less than all of our other doubles. The 45 is a very busy route, especially when people start leaving and going into University & College. I think B7RLEs will all go to Central, so I doubt they will ever go on the 45.
I agree, the ex London fleet would be best suited to the 45. I think it would work with a few other single deck routes that could work as doubles, such as the 2.

I agree, the ex London fleet would be best suited to the 45. I think it would work with a few other single deck routes that could work as doubles, such as the 2.
I think we should still keep singles on the 2, because Marine won't have a designated Single Deck route if the 2 becomes doubles, and we would have to keep singles etc. I would like every depot to have a single allocated route ideally.