• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ScotRail158725

Established Member
906 has been on its first revenue journey today after coming back from the graveyard. Operating the Kings Buildings shuttle for the university
Are 926-929 and 905 showing face soon? and do we know if 1152/3 are coming back or not ?

Lx008

Yes, correct, it has always been C134 as far as i am aware (though no number is ever displayed)
I'm assuming C134 is some sort of internal reference for the service/contract

Most charters show up in the app as Cxxx, was similar in east Lothian a few months back during a event that had the 124 running as a council charter between Aberlady and north berwick only which showed up as the C124

muffy

Just wondering if anyone could shed some light on something please.

Most of you will be aware that Lothian are switching out their Automatic Vehicle Locators (AVL’s) for new ones at the moment. About 70% of the fleet has now been switched, with the majority remaining being Central vehicles.

Lothian had been fitting new roof pods at Seafield to the fleet and it was assumed by myself and others that this was a requirement for these new AVL’s to work fully. For the first 18 months only buses fitted with these new pods were receiving the new AVL’s. However, recently certain older vehicles including 841, 843 and 930 have now had a new AVL fitted while retaining their existing roof pod. Does anyone know if the pods are actually a requirement or does it simply result in the new AVL only working in a limited function state?
As a regular LCB user, in the past month the old AVL has been switched off on the older LCB buses with no sign of the new AVL being fitted to these vehicles. Also, I haven't seen any of the 841-850 fitted with the new AVL's yet, can't really comment on the 93x batch as they are less frequent on the X27/X40 routes that I travel on regularly.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
As a regular LCB user, in the past month the old AVL has been switched off on the older LCB buses with no sign of the new AVL being fitted to these vehicles. Also, I haven't seen any of the 841-850 fitted with the new AVL's yet, can't really comment on the 93x batch as they are less frequent on the X27/X40 routes that I travel on regularly.
841-850 are being fitted with them just now. You can assume 931, 933-936 will follow. The ones without new AVLs currently use a fix similar to that of 601-698 when they were new. 931 is the only one with the old AVL still in proper use.

muffy

841-850 are being fitted with them just now. You can assume 931, 933-936 will follow. The ones without new AVLs currently use a fix similar to that of 601-698 when they were new. 931 is the only one with the old AVL still in proper use.
And coincidently my inbound X27 was 931 yesterday and can confirm this. 847 was my outbound bus and still had its disabled old tracker fitted.
Out of interest saw 931, 933 and 934 within 5 minutes of each other in Edinburgh with 933 also enjoying a day on X27/X28 duties yesterday.

scosutsut

I note belatedly that 496/7 have been repainted into madder and white from skylink blue/grey, and appear to still be sticking to the same routes.

Does this signal the end to what personally for me was the least attractive Lothian livery variation?

Bus9120UK

Established Member
I note belatedly that 496/7 have been repainted into madder and white from skylink blue/grey, and appear to still be sticking to the same routes.

Does this signal the end to what personally for me was the least attractive Lothian livery variation?
No it doesn't. There was a reason for their repaints in 2022 - the 300 withdrawal reduced the Skylink PVR by two, allowing these to be moved to the main fleet, which enabled the removal of 926/7 tfrom service at the time.
496/7 don't have luggage racks anymore and generally don't spent most their time on the 200/400, although it does happen reguarly.

scosutsut

No it doesn't. There was a reason for their repaints in 2022 - the 300 withdrawal reduced the Skylink PVR by two, allowing these to be moved to the main fleet, which enabled the removal of 926/7 tfrom service at the time.
496/7 don't have luggage racks anymore and generally don't spent most their time on the 200/400, although it does happen reguarly.
Oh well, got my hopes up for nothing - thanks!

CSB0241

On Moderation

496 & 497 are usually on the 3, 33, & 34 (at least from what I’ve seen). 496 is currently running a 400 currently heading through Oxgangs towards Fort Kinnaird, & 497 is sitting in the depot.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
I'm surprised that in the upcoming service changes they haven't decided to make the 25 diversion via Marionville Road a permanent change. It has been over 2 months since the diversion was put in place and I'm not sure what the plan is for Lochend Drive.

Also, will the 4 ever return to Hillend?

Bus9120UK

Established Member
I'm surprised that I'm the upcoming service changes they haven't decided to make the 25 diversion via Marionville Road a permanent change, it's been over 2 months since the diversion was put in place and I'm not sure what the plan is for Lochend Drive.

Also will the 4 ever return to Hillend?
Likewise! It was my first prediction for any route changes which of course didn't happen.

I presume the 4 will return once the works there are complete. I believe the buses will go further and terminate at the new building.

CSB0241

On Moderation
I'm surprised that in the upcoming service changes they haven't decided to make the 25 diversion via Marionville Road a permanent change. It has been over 2 months since the diversion was put in place and I'm not sure what the plan is for Lochend Drive.

I did find it odd that it’s still just listed as a diversion! I actually emailed the snowsports centre & they said that they weren’t actually sure when it could return either.

I did find it odd that it’s still just listed as a diversion! I actually emailed the snowsports centre & they said that they weren’t actually sure when it could return either.
New traffic lights are operational at the junction with the old turning circle removed. Progress on the access road is slow. There does look to be some sort of layby being constructed as you turn in. As said above presumably the buses will continue to the new centre to turn.

Darklord8899

Originally, the Hillend terminus was to be closed for 4 or 5 months (which would have been December, IIRC)
Unsurprisingly, the redevelopment works seem to be months over schedule and now the terminus is closed "until further notice"

EdinRH

The Lothian website now lists the 4 as a Fairmilehead to Queen Margaret University service and service 4 buses going to Fairmilehead no longer display "Part Route". So it would appear that Hillend is no longer the officially recognised terminus. Yet, it is still advertised as a temporary alteration.

Lothianbus703

In regards to the recent conversation about service 4's terminus, the route will be extended from Fairmilehead to Hillend once a Hillend terminus has been built up at the centre, the current terminus has been dug up.1710875810724.pngimage contains photo of the previous terminus location.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
The Lothian website now lists the 4 as a Fairmilehead to Queen Margaret University service and service 4 buses going to Fairmilehead no longer display "Part Route". So it would appear that Hillend is no longer the officially recognised terminus. Yet, it is still advertised as a temporary alteration.
Hillend is still on the timetables even after the service change on Sunday.

Vehicles 926 and 929 have moved to Central this morning. 932 is at Seafield now mostly untouched but has had it's advert frames removed.

Last edited:

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Hillend is still on the timetables even after the service change on Sunday.

Vehicles 926 and 929 have moved to Central this morning. 932 is at Seafield now mostly untouched but has had it's advert frames removed.

668/9-70 have moved back to Longstone it seems.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
668/9-70 have moved back to Longstone it seems.
I was expecting this given the 44 is returning to full Longstone operation (minus some peak journeys). If 1152/3 are both returning that should be enough for the 35 PVR increase as well. I am hoping 926-930 will be sufficient at Central for 23, 27, 31 & X47. I would assume 42-45 will move to Central in due course for service 1. Perhaps some deckers could move from Marine as they have gained 905/6?

As far as I can see, 23 & 27 will have a PVR boost of 1 each and the X47 will require two extra vehicles. Those and the 31 (which needs an extra 1) totals 5.
The 23/7 aren't increasing by two each as there are already extra buses out at peaks. These buses will just stay on all day.

Despite there being three afternoon X47 trips, one of these will operate before a peak journey on the 31 which already exists, hence why only two extra buses are needed. A second afternoon peak journey being added onto the 31 will come off the 47, and another X47 will change onto the 47 at the same time. The last X47 in the afternoon comes off a new peak time 24 journey.

Last edited:

CN04NRJ

Established Member
927 is out in service on the central operated rush bus 34, it should go onto an X33 afterwards.

Lx008

I don’t think 905/906 will be doing public journeys until the displayblinds are fixed/ made functional
Currently both are just doing the Uni shuttle

Having ridden 906 on Thur, I have to say they look excellent inside, a bit old but still in very good condition

Bus9120UK

Established Member
I don’t think 905/906 will be doing public journeys until the displayblinds are fixed/ made functional
Currently both are just doing the Uni shuttle

Having ridden 906 on Thur, I have to say they look excellent inside, a bit old but still in very good condition
They've had the displays sorted, although I have no clue whether they've only programmed the University display given these are smaller than the normal ones. I believe the intention was always for these to be on the Uni shuttle only.

They don't have ticket machines, and 906 doesn't have an AVL (automatic vehicle locator) module - unsure if 905 does.

Lx008

The trackers on 905/906 do indeed seem a little weird.
906 tracked the journeys it made last Thur but none of the ones this week (and it was out at kings doing trips) while 905 only starting tracking this Friday while it was also out this past Thur doing trips

Resuwen

Apologies if this has been covered before but why are 841-850 still in service (originally 57 plates) when a fair number of newer vehicles have been sold already?