• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
The topic of the different flavours of Gemini is taking this thread off topic, but I have split those posts into a new one which you will find here:

have to leave the bus but could be given said ticket which allowed them to board a later service of the same route number and direction, without having to pay again. Is this used, or could this be used/adapted, for the above situation (e.g. you are travelling on a bus which was quiet enough for social distancing when you got on, but then 40 schoolkids all get on and you can't socially distance any more)? It might help make some people more comfortable to travel if they knew they could do this if the bus got busy.

But then, if that bus is busy, is the next bus behind likely to be just as busy?
If the initial bus is busy and picks up lots of passengers at each stop, very often the next bus will be quieter. Especially if passengers alighting from the first bus delay things further by negotiating a special ticket from the driver. Not always the case though so maybe something of a gamble.
But realistically, how many passengers who'd be worried about health pay fares themselves and on top of that who pays for single fares these days on Lothian services anyway?
With day tickets and contactless capping being pretty good value plus quite generous concession schemes I imagine people paying for each journey with dedicated tickets 'as they go' must be dwindling.

takno

Established Member
on top of that who pays for single fares these days on Lothian services anyway?
With day tickets and contactless capping being pretty good value plus quite generous concession schemes I imagine people paying for each journey with dedicated tickets 'as they go' must be dwindling.
I'd say I've only ever hit the daily cap once. I rarely get the bus more than one place in a day, and even more rarely can't get a direct bus.

Was Lothian Country 1040 (LXZ 5427) ever involved in a RTC because it doesn't have the Lothian Country logo on the front (and i believe that it has lacked this for a while).

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Was Lothian Country 1040 (LXZ 5427) ever involved in a RTC because it doesn't have the Lothian Country logo on the front (and i believe that it has lacked this for a while).
Maybe someone just forgot to stick it on ;)

ScotRail158725

Established Member
buses have minor bumps requiring only one or two panels needing replaced all the time and this was the case here same with numerous other buses in the fleet

CN04NRJ

Established Member
How are deliveries progressing with the new buses? Imagine there's quite a few there now from what i've been told?

Does anyone know when more information will be released for the Christmas/festive period services e.g. timetables route variations ect.....

(I know that First is operating the 600 and the 26 and that LothianCountry is operating the X27/X28, 31, 275 and the 280):)

Ok I'll check every so often, thanks.:)
If it's just a particular route you're interested in, perhaps you'll find sites like Traveline publish timetables quicker than Lothian turn them around for the website. The times are often uploaded automatically whereas the company would put them into a booklet summarising the network in a user-friendly format. Some services are defined by councils and others run commercially so I imagine it gets quite complicated and time-consuming trying to piece everything together in an understandable way. Of course you'll need to factor in some time to accurately decipher the Traveline format yourself....

If it's just a particular route you're interested in, perhaps you'll find sites like Traveline publish timetables quicker than Lothian turn them around for the website. The times are often uploaded automatically whereas the company would put them into a booklet summarising the network in a user-friendly format. Some services are defined by councils and others run commercially so I imagine it gets quite complicated and time-consuming trying to piece everything together in an understandable way. Of course you'll need to factor in some time to accurately decipher the Traveline format yourself....
Ok will do thanks. :)

Yeah I found that odd and a little disappointing, unless it’s an error or they lost the tender or whatever.

it still shows up on here

Perhaps off topic for a Lothian Country thread but what happens to the First & SD Travel routes on 2 January? Obviously Lothian Country run commercially on 2 January but the council link only shows SD Travel and First timetables for 25/26 Dec and 1 Jan (howerver Horsburgh's X40 does include 2 Jan). Are the links covered in some other way on 2 January? Maybe existing tenders are being revised to suit, as they could be subsidised to some extent through the rest of the year too.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Will Volvo eclipses 167-170 be reinstated into service if need be.

170 has been reinstated at Marine, I saw 171 there this morning and possibly another 2 (wasn't paying much attention as it was my first time down there) also - 189 is operating out of Longstone.