• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Just a pre-warning; only take comments from drivers on face value. Nothing is confirmed as yet. Marine drivers have also been told to expect evora training shortly as some are being allocated there.

Longstone drivers haven't been told anything though? It was part of a company wide communication just stating that familiarisation would be taking place.

As for the 30 there was 27 buses required before Christmas, that was due to go down to 24 from the 11th and there's only 21 required M-Sat at the moment and those timetables are in place until the 17th.

After that who knows what's going to happen? Back to pre-Christmas levels? Planned minor reduction or an even greater reduction? It's all in the hands of the UK/Scottish government as passenger numbers are way down and I can't even see this level of service being justified if restrictions aren't lifted again? (my opinion of course).

There's all sorts of rumours flying around, canteen talk and otherwise so who knows what's happening in these uncertain times. I'm looking forward to the B8RLEs going into service just as much as anyone else but if they're not required yet they're not required.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trident638

186-190 have only been moved to central to run the 30 on Boxing Day and 1st/2nd Jan. They're just being used on the 1 and 24 so they don't need to move them back to Marine for a few days

BobScott

Just a pre-warning; only take comments from drivers on face value. Nothing is confirmed as yet. Marine drivers have also been told to expect evora training shortly as some are being allocated there.
All of this is what I said a couple of weeks ago.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Havent updated the app though.

In the middle of the night when people are working from home anyway because of the pandemic? I think it's commendable there was an online update at all.

186-190 have only been moved to central to run the 30 on Boxing Day and 1st/2nd Jan. They're just being used on the 1 and 24 so they don't need to move them back to Marine for a few days

Hybrids are also in use on the 1/24
yesterday and today
though?

Also 169 is out on the 42 today.

Last edited:

Bus9120UK

Established Member
In the middle of the night when people are working from home anyway because of the pandemic? I think it's commendable there was an online update at all.

Hybrids are also in use on the 1/24
yesterday and today
though?

Also 169 is out on the 42 today.
The 1 is back to double deckers only, with the 24 running all of 186 to 190, bus 2 and 3 double decks

CN04NRJ

Established Member
The 1 is back to double deckers only, with the 24 running all of 186 to 190, bus 2 and 3 double decks

I think people are reading far much into the daily allocation of buses and giving them greater meaning.

Established Member
Certainly wasnt helpful while I was waiting for a bus to work this morning. Nor was it for the nurse also trying to get to work at the same time.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
While i'd agree i'm surprised that sort of thing isn't interlinked with the app. Especially when it's such an important/short notice service update.

As a minimum I'd expect a network shutdown to appear automatically as a Service Update on the app home page. Even then, not everyone will check the home page and they'll just look for the bus stop where they are waiting.
I know nothing at all about how the system works but the app can sometimes be a bit dodgy. Perhaps it relies on complicated manual intervention for input of timetables and diversions. When the new vehicle location kit is introduced will this result in closer app integration or are they entirely separate?

OmniCity999

Established Member
As a minimum I'd expect a network shutdown to appear automatically as a Service Update on the app home page. Even then, not everyone will check the home page and they'll just look for the bus stop where they are waiting.
I know nothing at all about how the system works but the app can sometimes be a bit dodgy. Perhaps it relies on complicated manual intervention for input of timetables and diversions. When the new vehicle location kit is introduced will this result in closer app integration or are they entirely separate?
its an entirely antiquated system that isnt fit for purpose anymore.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
When the new vehicle location kit is introduced will this result in closer app integration or are they entirely separate?

If, @OmniCity999 can correct me but I'm sure he said a few pages back the decision has been made to keep the current system for the foreseeable due to cost (because of covid) - and this was part of the reason the new MCVs still aren't in service as they had to have obsolete AVLs fabricated.

OmniCity999

Established Member
If, @OmniCity999 can correct me but I'm sure he said a few pages back the decision has been made to keep the current system for the foreseeable due to cost (because of covid) - and this was part of the reason the new MCVs still aren't in service as they had to have obsolete AVLs fabricated.
its one of the reasons, yes. The other being service levels, so low requirement for single deckers. The singles largely being used being the 7900's due to their battery usage, as opposed to B7RLE's or brand new B8RLE's.

...as ive mentioned on almost every page of this forum

route101

Established Member
Amazed Edinburgh still has night buses going, are they well used at the moment ? I suppose Edinburgh is quite compact and your not too far away from a route.

Aaronb2601

I know it’s been covered several times before, however I am surprised that that 07/57 plate B7’s have been sold. Does Lothian still have any of the B7TL or older B7RLE’s that just aren’t being used? Or have they all been sold at this point?

SpeedbirdA350

I know it’s been covered several times before, however I am surprised that that 07/57 plate B7’s have been sold. Does Lothian still have any of the B7TL or older B7RLE’s that just aren’t being used? Or have they all been sold at this point?
Yes, only one B7TL still here. 763 is still with the company although was used for parts so unsure if it will be fully parted out or not. It won't be on the road again with Lothian for sure.

Lothian_Bus

I notice the XLB's have recently returned back to the 31.

Today the XLB's can be found on 16, 27, 31 and 37.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
I would assume that daily allocations will fluctuate dependent on the person doing the output allocation and the way vehicles are parked in each depot. It happens everywhere (i.e. nationwide), especially now with physical distancing, allocators will want to allocate biggest buses to the busiest diagrams - which could change daily.

Lothian_Bus

I would assume that daily allocations will fluctuate dependent on the person doing the output allocation and the way vehicles are parked in each depot. It happens everywhere (i.e. nationwide), especially now with physical distancing, allocators will want to allocate biggest buses to the busiest diagrams - which could change daily.
Yes but there does seem to be some kind of reasoning behind it. Initially the XLB's were not allocated to the 37 but have pretty much been on that route since the lockdown timetable started. The 31 was one of the services to have XLB's prior to Covid but only recently have they started to return to the 31 on a regular basis.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
I would assume that daily allocations will fluctuate dependent on the person doing the output allocation and the way vehicles are parked in each depot.

Exactly this. One example being 171-5 at Longstone usually going out on the later turns as they're parked against the back wall on their own, hence why they're usually on the last 30s out the garage recently.
-------

All of the MCVs are now showing as registered and taxed from tomorrow on the DVLA website.
-----------
IMG_20201231_140544.jpg

Last edited:

Lothiangem22

Exactly this. One example being 171-5 at Longstone usually going out on the later turns as they're parked against the back wall on their own, hence why they're usually on the last 30s out the garage recently.
-------

All of the MCVs are now showing as registered and taxed from tomorrow on the DVLA website.
-----------
View attachment 87936
Great news! Look forward to seeing these in service

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Yes, only one B7TL still here. 763 is still with the company although was used for parts so unsure if it will be fully parted out or not. It won't be on the road again with Lothian for sure.
763 is sitting outside Seafield still. not a lot has been taken so far but id expect it to stay as a donor until the remaining Geminis are withdrawn

Amazed Edinburgh still has night buses going, are they well used at the moment ?
even in these times night buses are useful even if theres a minimal people using them

OmniCity999

Established Member
-------

-----------
View attachment 87936
i would imagine this would be in preparation for type training... and eventual entry into service.

Lothiangem22

Would taxing all the vehicles not be a substantial cost when I imagine every penny spent is going to be scrutinised post Covid? I may be wrong but this looks like to me they envisage an entry into service in January as planned. Certainly even after the recent government announcement some routes have retained decent loadings.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Would taxing all the vehicles not be a substantial cost when I imagine every penny spent is going to be scrutinised post Covid? I may be wrong but this looks like to me they envisage an entry into service in January as planned. Certainly even after the recent government announcement some routes have retained decent loadings.

The 30 has definitely been busier than expected this week as i'm sure you'd know too, the 1/12/24/42 seem to be coping just fine with single decks at the moment too.