• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aictos

Established Member
Just a quick question but what type of bus is used on the 26 route and on the Airlink 100 route?

Aictos

Established Member
The 26 usually has a Gemini 3 and the 100 is run by XLB's
Thank you, I usually use them when I travel in the area and was wondering what the bus model was - btw I don't suppose you know how old they are too?

Thanks for the reply though, very helpful :)

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Thank you, I usually use them when I travel in the area and was wondering what the bus model was - btw I don't suppose you know how old they are too?

Thanks for the reply though, very helpful :)

The Airlink E400s were new in summer 2019 and the 26 Zoo branded B5TLs were new in 2017.

Aictos

Established Member
The Airlink E400s were new in summer 2019 and the 26 Zoo branded B5TLs were new in 2017.
Thanks for that, by the way I never knew that the Airlink E400s had skylights for the top deck!

A member of staff has been assaulted and taken to hospital.

Unfortunately police resources haven't been enough. Councilors are rather upset. Would be a different story if it was there family. The company is acting accordingly.
It is absolutely appalling how bus drivers are treated at the best off times, I wish him/her a speedy recovery in hospital and all the best for their families.

A couple times when I was on the 275 (before the protection sheilds were added) passengers getting basically right into the drivers face(all be it Addicts).

On one occasion (I think January 2020) there was someone causing problems on the bus the driver told her to be quiet and she didn't. The 275 at this time was diverted from Stankards Road via A89, and A899 Uphall West Main Street after Uphall Station, the passenger was saying all different types of swearing and the driver obviously had enough and told her to get off, she started swearing at the driver and reaching into the cab and putting her finger right in his face swearing and everything.

She eventually got off but the driver was slightly shaken.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
It is absolutely appalling how bus drivers are treated at the best off times, I wish him/her a speedy recovery in hospital and all the best for their families.

A couple times when I was on the 275 (before the protection sheilds were added) passengers getting basically right into the drivers face(all be it Addicts).

On one occasion (I think January 2020) there was someone causing problems on the bus the driver told her to be quiet and she didn't. The 275 at this time was diverted from Stankards Road via A89, and A899 Uphall West Main Street after Uphall Station, the passenger was saying all different types of swearing and the driver obviously had enough and told her to get off, she started swearing at the driver and reaching into the cab and putting her finger right in his face swearing and everything.

She eventually got off but the driver was slightly shaken.

Even with the recent events withstanding I find people have alot more respect for drivers in Edinburgh than where I used to work in South Wales (mainly Cardiff). In no small part thanks to the proactive actions by the company and close collaboration with the police. I think the majority of people realise it's not wise to mess with drivers. I was honestly shocked by how decently people treated me when I was out driving on my own last February.

Driver assaults are thankfully rare here but it was a regular occurrence down south, off topic for this thread but it's happened to me once and I know of many incidents my old colleagues went through (worst probably being shot in the neck by an air rifle through the cab window). Awful experience and I wish the two drivers involved the last few days a swift recovery.

Even with the recent events withstanding I find people have alot more respect for drivers in Edinburgh than where I used to work in South Wales (mainly Cardiff). In no small part thanks to the proactive actions by the company and close collaboration with the police. I think the majority of people realise it's not wise to mess with drivers. I was honestly shocked by how decently people treated me when I was out driving on my own last February.

Driver assaults are thankfully rare here but it was a regular occurrence down south, off topic for this thread but it's happened to me once and I know of many incidents my old colleagues went through (worst probably being shot in the neck by an air rifle through the cab window). Awful experience and I wish the two drivers involved the last few days a swift recovery.
I know either way it's bad but there wasn't any wepons used on them was there?

It's just mindless violence, no reason for doing it.

OmniCity999

Established Member

It's just mindless violence, no reason for doing it.
It's irrelevant.

I dont feel comfortable discussing how a driver was assaulted. It's not in the news - probably for a reason and certain news outlets have been known to use this thread. So im not discussing out of respect, lets just leave it where it is.

It's irrelevant.

I dont feel comfortable discussing how a driver was assaulted. It's not in the news - probably for a reason and certain news outlets have been known to use this thread. So im not discussing out of respect, lets just leave it where it is.
Okay, sorry, yeah completely understandable, I'll leave it at that :).

Is there any other images of the new B5TL Enviro400MMC's which aren't on Facebook?

DunsBus

Established Member
I remember hearing a story a few years back about a vandalism attempt on a bus that backfired spectacularly on the perpetrator.
It involved one of the early 6xx series Tridents on a service 14 at Muirhouse, in the run-up to Bonfire Night.
The driver had to urgently answer a call of nature and opted to relieve himself into an empty plastic bottle, using the door which sealed off the staircase to protect his modesty. When he'd finished, he caught sight of a ned who was about to lob a lit firework through the exit door of the bus.
Quick as a flash, the driver rushed upstairs, got in line with the exit doors, opened one of the window vents and, just as the ned was about to take aim, emptied the contents of the bottle all over him.

Let's just say that the ned was feeling pretty pi$$ed off after that. :lol:

I remember hearing a story a few years back about a vandalism attempt on a bus that backfired spectacularly on the perpetrator.
It involved one of the early 6xx series Tridents on a service 14 at Muirhouse, in the run-up to Bonfire Night.
The driver had to urgently answer a call of nature and opted to relieve himself into an empty plastic bottle, using the door which sealed off the staircase to protect his modesty. When he'd finished, he caught sight of a ned who was about to lob a lit firework through the exit door of the bus.
Quick as a flash, the driver rushed upstairs, got in line with the exit doors, opened one of the window vents and, just as the ned was about to take aim, emptied the contents of the bottle all over him.

Let's just say that the ned was feeling pretty pi$$ed off after that. :lol:
That is the best thing I've heard all week :lol:.

I seen a video on YouTube of a firework getting thrown into a bus in London, I think this is more of a city thing though, stupid people with nothing better to do.

Apart from all of Livingston and Bathgate I think West Lothian drivers are relatively safer "touch wood".

See the hotspots for vandalism on Lothian Buses, is one of them Greendykes (nearish to Fort Kinnaird)?

CN04NRJ

Established Member

It's not the point whether 'weapons' were used or not. No person expects or deserves to go through what happened when they're in work (or anywhere for that matter).

It's not the point whether 'weapons' were used or not. No person expects or deserves to go through what happened when they're in work (or anywhere for that matter).
Thats why I said it was bad either way because it was the same result at the end.

Last edited:

route101

Established Member
Seen a few incidents recently in Glasgow, wee Neds riding the back of buses and holding buses up when unable to pay while one tries to get cash from ATM. In Sheffield seen a ned try and drive bus away when driver was out the bus, luckily driver chucked him off.

Hope it settles down.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Sorry, it's just quite an emotive subject for me.

On another note, it seems Ensignbus have acquired a significant amount of the 07/57 plate B9TLs and are advertising them for sale;

So I think that puts to bed any slim chance that those had of returning. Guessing 826-830 will be off after use with Lothiancountry and I’m expecting 874-875 to go also once the new ones arrive. 08 plates to storage maybe?

If 844-850 are staying I wonder if Central could be a good shout for these (874-879 to sale/storage) and then the majority of the new ones to Longstone (with 880-927 moved to storage/sale/other depots), just seems like less movement to me and that has been a common sight since March last year. Time will tell if they are planning to do something like this or something completely different!

Still a few more Hanovers to be fitted to some of the Gemini3’s so that could possibly start to continue again? 346-350, 407-425, 551-570 and 926-927 are the only ones I can think of that might potentially be done, but most likely the Gemini3’s are first. Don’t think 1-50 or 201-215 will be done, especially given the previous talk about the latter going.

Sorry, it's just quite an emotive subject for me.
Yeah, it is a horrible thing to happen, I completely understand.

On another note, it seems Ensignbus have acquired a significant amount of the 07/57 plate B9TLs and are advertising them for sale;

Except the ones temporarily with Lothian Country, are all the B9TL's currently in storage the only ones getting sold at this time?
(This may be too far in the future though)

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Yeah, it is a horrible thing to happen, I completely understand.

Except the ones temporarily with Lothian Country, are all the B9TL's currently in storage the only ones getting sold at this time?
(This may be too far in the future though)

A few pages back I think it was suggested that an equal number of current fleet B9TLs will go into storage (but not for sale, yet) as new E400s go into service.

So probably X amount of 874-925, with the possibility of them returning if needed when required later this year.

mb88

Apart from all of Livingston and Bathgate I think West Lothian drivers are relatively safer "touch wood".

Aye and you can add Blackridge, Armadale, Broxburn, West Calder, Addiewell, Whitburn and Blackburn. But apart from all those places we're good in West Lothian. Buses are getting pelted with stones on a nightly basis in Blackridge just now, I know of at least 5 incidents of windows getting put in just in the last week or so.

BobScott

Still a few more Hanovers to be fitted to some of the Gemini3’s so that could possibly start to continue again? 346-350, 407-425, 551-570 and 926-927 are the only ones I can think of that might potentially be done, but most likely the Gemini3’s are first. Don’t think 1-50 or 201-215 will be done, especially given the previous talk about the latter going.
All buses that still have old-style roller destination screens are to have them replaced by new digital screens in the next couple of months.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Can we move on from discussing the recent incident please? Discussing the service interruptions is fine, but let's not go into the details of what actually happened. Thanks.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
So just wondering guys, sorry to bring back the subject but just for this one questions, I know the 1,26 can’t terminate at Clermiston/Clerwood but what about the 21 and 200? Are they diverted up drum brae north for the time being?

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
So just wondering guys, sorry to bring back the subject but just for this one questions, I know the 1,26 can’t terminate at Clermiston/Clerwood but what about the 21 and 200? Are they diverted up drum brae north for the time being?
So the 1, 26 are stopping short at Drum Brae roundabout. 21 is going along Glasgow Road to Maybury, from there it and the 200 are going up the full length of Maybury Road (the top half of which hasn’t had buses in quite a few years now) and then directly along Queensferry Road and continue normal route from the Clermiston Road junction on Queensferry Road. Hope that makes sense ;)

SpeedbirdA350

So the 1, 26 are stopping short at Drum Brae roundabout. 21 is going along Glasgow Road to Maybury, from there it and the 200 are going up the full length of Maybury Road (the top half of which hasn’t had buses in quite a few years now) and then directly along Queensferry Road and continue normal route from the Clermiston Road junction on Queensferry Road. Hope that makes sense ;)
1 and 26 are then going Glasgow Road empty and turning at Gogar Roundabout and starting again at Drumbrae Roundabout.

Last edited:

SpeedbirdA350

Totally forgot about that, thanks for remembering! Wonder if that’s to just be doubly safe and get them away from Drum Brae.
I suspect it is, plus if they did turn at Drumbrae, they'd be sitting for longer and be a sitting duck sadly. However, it looks like from tomorrow, buses are going to resume back to normal in that area. I can only assume that there will be much more police presence in that area.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Probably to do with the amount of buses that actually service that stop if they do sit at Drumbrae. Lothian, First and Citylink all service it.

Yep, a driver I know had 36 minutes layover there tonight due to this. Can't have all those buses waiting their time outside McDonald's.