• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Passenger nos. on the 42 might have been affected because Craigleith Road was closed for so long anyway and has only just reopened. Although I don't know what passengers nos. would have been like before the closure. The buses (38 and 42) haven't always gone into Craigleith Retail park, I think some of the time it's just been at the weekend. The 42 used to run out to Davidson's Mains before it was truncated to Craigleith (after the old 42/46 circle was abolished).

On the positives though, the new direct link between Lauriston Place and Haymarket with the revamped 12 is very convenient.
Even before Craigleith Road was shut it was never that busy, selected journeys were a bit busier but as a whole fairly quiet. The closure shouldn’t have made much of an impact as the 38 is still there now so that link is maintained, the 42 was more to connect Stockbridge with Craigleith rather than to connect Craigleith Road with the city. I’m sure eventually the 38 will return to every 20 minutes when resources allow as it’s busy enough again to warrant it.

For a few years the 42 only went into Craigleith on Saturdays as weekday journeys to/from Davidson’s Mains bypassed the retail park, it wasn’t always like that though. The 38 has yet to return to bypassing Craigleith at a weekend and I don’t think that’s likely to return now seeing as the 42 is no longer there to part cover for it. The 42 out to Davidson’s Mains only ever seemed busy when the schools were starting/ending, as it was a quieter alternative to the likes of the 24 and 29.

I like the new route of the 12, although I can’t help but think it may have been better to route it along Morrison Street. Having it serve the Western Approach Road (where let’s be honest there’s not a lot going on) seems a tad wasteful, although I understand the reasons for doing it, namely the sort of West End connection and overall reliability.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DunsBus

Established Member
Even before Craigleith Road was shut it was never that busy, selected journeys were a bit busier but as a whole fairly quiet. The closure shouldn’t have made much of an impact as the 38 is still there now so that link is maintained, the 42 was more to connect Stockbridge with Craigleith rather than to connect Craigleith Road with the city. I’m sure eventually the 38 will return to every 20 minutes when resources allow as it’s busy enough again to warrant it.

For a few years the 42 only went into Craigleith on Saturdays as weekday journeys to/from Davidson’s Mains bypassed the retail park, it wasn’t always like that though. The 38 has yet to return to bypassing Craigleith at a weekend and I don’t think that’s likely to return now seeing as the 42 is no longer there to part cover for it. The 42 out to Davidson’s Mains only ever seemed busy when the schools were starting/ending, as it was a quieter alternative to the likes of the 24 and 29.

I like the new route of the 12, although I can’t help but think it may have been better to route it along Morrison Street. Having it serve the Western Approach Road (where let’s be honest there’s not a lot going on) seems a tad wasteful, although I understand the reasons for doing it, namely the sort of West End connection and overall reliability.
The 42 also went to Silverknowes for several years, replacing the 28 north of Comely Bank at the July 2003 service change. It stopped going there in 2009.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
The 42 also went to Silverknowes for several years, replacing the 28 north of Comely Bank at the July 2003 service change. It stopped going there in 2009.
Yes I remember that. The 24 did what the 42 now does albeit with an extension all the way to Gyle/Edinburgh Park via Cramond and Barnton, some journeys ran via Queensferry Road as a 24A too. The two switched over in 2009 with the 24 terminating at West Granton and the 42 running on a curtailed route to Davidson’s Mains.

I remember getting on a 42 on Telford Road not long before the routes changed and I’m sure it was an Airlink Scania I travelled on.

Acfb

Does the route via Bush take the same amount of time as the route via Roslin?
Just wondering if the 140 and 141 are likely to combine for a service every half hour i.e. a bus at xx00 and xx30, or if there are going to be uneven gaps e.g. a bus at xx00 and xx20 with nothing until the following xx00?

The 141 change is quite curious TBH. It doesn't even link up at that well with the 15 at Bush and it seemed to me a missed opportunity to route it once an hour via Auchendinny.

Although the split between Bush and Roslin (one per our each way) is reminiscent of what the 15 used to do a long time ago.

317 forever

Established Member
This article (Link opens Edinburgh Zoo News Article displaying information regarding new zoo buses from 2017) suggests the partnership was supposed to last 3 years (so end October 2020). The pandemic has evidently changed things if these buses are still around this year, plus 2021 (I think) saw 2 new zoo designs implemented (Sloth & Giraffe) so I can't see them going anytime soon. It could also be that the partnership is over, and the buses are just to remain as they are. Surely not, though?
A guest o honour at this event will be Boy George :lol:

scosutsut

I'd agree the zoo thing is likely be more of a partnership than full rate paid for branding. The zoo is run by a charity afterall, isn't renown for being awash with cash and Lothian gain tourist traffic (and an opportunity to advertise tours to them on their journeys.)

Win win.

stantheman

On Moderation
Any news on Lothian acquiring First 20 63 68 etc routes? Are First definitely pulling out after Saturday?

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
Any news on Lothian acquiring First 20 63 68 etc routes? Are First definitely pulling out after Saturday?

Think we’ll hear about it soon if it’s definatly happening! perhaps the reason LCB didn’t have any changes is because they are preparing to expand? ;)

Auld reekie

I don’t have a link to the update on these services but I’m sure First Bus are continuing with the contract but with a reduced service.

Lothian should've made a service from Penicuik - Wallyford - Portobello for a link if they don't bring back the 15 or 124/X24 to Portobello, perhaps the 141 peak journeys? and just via Wallyford to Musselburgh Non-Peak.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Lothian should've made a service from Penicuik - Wallyford - Portobello for a link if they don't bring back the 15 or 124/X24 to Portobello, perhaps the 141 peak journeys? and just via Wallyford to Musselburgh Non-Peak.
I can’t imagine journeys from Penicuik to Portobello were plentiful, could be wrong though.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
It's not really a thought about Portobello, albeit it may still be used in that way, but I was thinking about Wallyford, and the lack of service.
Wallyford has a good bus service it doesn’t need any more.

Last edited by a moderator:
In terms of the southern end of the 15, I can see this returning to Penicuik once the new developments and link road between Mauricewood Road and Rullion Road have been completed. The service is demanded by the local community every time a service change comes up but in reality the 101/102 is an alternative and the other services are coping with passenger demand.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member

When the 15 last ran out to Prestonpans it didn’t even serve the Park and Ride at Wallyford, when the 124 was equired by Lothian was when Portobello got a link with Wallyford at last.

I still stand the 124 should go back to Portobello as an (X24) and the 113 should go back to all stops with a peak (X13) to me that is how ECB can please everyone in the end.

stevenedin

When the 15 last ran out to Prestonpans it didn’t even serve the Park and Ride at Wallyford, when the 124 was equired by Lothian was when Portobello got a link with Wallyford at last.

I still stand the 124 should go back to Portobello as an (X24) and the 113 should go back to all stops with a peak (X13) to me that is how ECB can please everyone in the end.
Or the other way. The 124 back to Portobello and a new X24 along Milton Road.

Also the 113 and X13 idea sounds good too

JurassicMan

Current timetables to remain until at least 11th September.

Think we’ll hear about it soon if it’s definatly happening! perhaps the reason LCB didn’t have any changes is because they are preparing to expand? ;)
Routes will remain with First on a reduced frequency,still to be confirmed how reduced though.

It would seem the current driver shortage means no other operators are interested in the routes.

Routes will remain with First on a reduced frequency,still to be confirmed how reduced though.
Probably, the 20 may be reduced from half-hourly to hourly and the 63 would be reduced from every 40 mins to hourly. I guess this could work, it would take around 3 or 4 buses of the road.

Last edited:

tattyseal

Now that the right turn from York Place onto Leith Street has been restored, might we see the 8 return to its usual route? I think the current routing is great at providing links to Great King St and Dundas St and it would be a shame for people in that area to lose it. Same story with the 10 and McDonald Road, will this eventually return to its normal route?

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Now that the right turn from York Place onto Leith Street has been restored, might we see the 8 return to its usual route? I think the current routing is great at providing links to Great King St and Dundas St and it would be a shame for people in that area to lose it. Same story with the 10 and McDonald Road, will this eventually return to its normal route?
The 10 is meant to be staying on its current route via McDonald Road permanently. The 8 should return to Leith Street when North Bridge reopens. I hope it ends soon though as this often adds at least 10-15 minutes onto my commute to work and when I travel at 5am the cobbles are not the best to travel on at that time of the morning, also not forgetting to mention how unreliable it’s made the 8 too. The 8 really doesn’t need to do this route permanently as there are already two buses doing Inverleith to Dundas Street/Hanover Street. An improved 13 would be fine.

tattyseal

The 10 is meant to be staying on its current route via McDonald Road permanently. The 8 should return to Leith Street when North Bridge reopens. I hope it ends soon though as this often adds at least 10-15 minutes onto my commute to work and when I travel at 5am the cobbles are not the best to travel on at that time of the morning, also not forgetting to mention how unreliable it’s made the 8 too. The 8 really doesn’t need to do this route permanently as there are already two buses doing Inverleith to Dundas Street/Hanover Street. An improved 13 would be fine.
Yep, good to hear the 10 is staying as the residents of McDonald Road have been crying out for a bus for ages, even with the 13! The 8 going on London Street is an interesting route but the length it adds on isn't sustainable as you say. Hopefully once North Bridge reopens we'll see a lot of the congestion die down all over the town, as all of the services get hammered with delays at the moment.

stevenedin

Yep, good to hear the 10 is staying as the residents of McDonald Road have been crying out for a bus for ages, even with the 13! The 8 going on London Street is an interesting route but the length it adds on isn't sustainable as you say. Hopefully once North Bridge reopens we'll see a lot of the congestion die down all over the town, as all of the services get hammered with delays at the moment.
That is until they start digging it up again to install tram tracks.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
The 8 will return to North Bridge and Leith Street once North Bridge reopens. I think it would be best for it to return to Leith Street and North Bridge southbound as soon as possible as the current route absolutely ruins the reliability. I’ve have to get the one earlier than i usually would due to how unreliable it is now

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
The 8 will return to North Bridge and Leith Street once North Bridge reopens. I think it would be best for it to return to Leith Street and North Bridge southbound as soon as possible as the current route absolutely ruins the reliability. I’ve have to get the one earlier than i usually would due to how unreliable it is now
Totally agree. I usually take an alternative route if it’s possible. There are certain times of the day now where you should just avoid it completely.

tattyseal

I would have imagined it returning southbound as soon as it had opened as has happened with other services, but I guess due to how big the diversion is they might keep it both ways until its fully reopen which is unfortunate.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Totally agree. I usually take an alternative route if it’s possible. There are certain times of the day now where you should just avoid it completely.
It doesn’t help me either that the 3 & 29 are absolutely horrendous right now with reliability as well thanks to the festival. It's the worst time of the year to be a resident.