• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
Giving the usual timeframe between the VOSA Registration and Lothians official announcement, when do you think we’ll hear official word on the service change?

I’m guessing 3-5 weeks before the changes take place, The June 2022 changes were announced around this time last year and the September changes were mid August, I believe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bus9120UK

Established Member
Going by Lothian Official New fleet list were they have marked buses as reserve looks like 195-199 are going back to ECB main fleet.
What I've noticed is that any buses that are reserved but are in livery for any operation outwith the city garages still appear under their respective brand not marked as reserved. (Note, in previous fleet lists reserved buses were just not marked at all and just had empty space under department) The same was also in place previous fleet list (Q1 2023) with 195-199 & 591-594 all appearing under East Coast Buses and Musselburgh. 199 will be returning to service certainly with it being repainted at the moment, but 195-198 at least are still idling as is. I'll also add the fleet lists are based of the buses at the exact time of it being put together, so they do not take into consideration future movements.

Last edited:

CN04NRJ

Established Member
999/997 have gained Volvo half wraps (rear end), presumably ahead of the ALBUM conference.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
Looking at the latest CSV spreadsheet uploaded ( https://www.data.gov.uk/dataset/9ea...-commissioners-local-bus-service-registration and then 'Bus registrations Scotland' - link opens government page with various CSV file downloads available updated today) the following routes are marked as both route & timetable being amended: 5, 7, 8, 12, 14, 15, 23, 24, 27, 34, 37/X37, X6, N16, N28, N44, N107 & N113 . Of course these could be extremely minor changes so I wouldn't expect for anything massive here.

Last edited:

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Looking at the latest CSV spreadsheet uploaded ( https://www.data.gov.uk/dataset/9ea...-commissioners-local-bus-service-registration and then 'Bus registrations Scotland' - link opens government page with various CSV file downloads available updated today) the following routes are marked as both route & timetable being amended: 12, 15, 24, 27, 34, 37/X37, X6, N16, N28, N44, N107 & N113 . Of course these could be extremely minor changes so I wouldn't expect for anything massive here.
Is that on top of the 4 30 48 etc…?

A330Alex

Looking at the latest CSV spreadsheet uploaded ( https://www.data.gov.uk/dataset/9ea...-commissioners-local-bus-service-registration and then 'Bus registrations Scotland' - link opens government page with various CSV file downloads available updated today) the following routes are marked as both route & timetable being amended: 12, 15, 24, 27, 34, 37/X37, X6, N16, N28, N44, N107 & N113 . Of course these could be extremely minor changes so I wouldn't expect for anything massive here.
Perhaps I'm just reading too much into it but I found it a little odd how some changes specify "To amend route and timetable" while others (e.g. 2/4) are "To amend route, stopping places and timetable". Are those mid-route stop changes?

tattyseal

Perhaps I'm just reading too much into it but I found it a little odd how some changes specify "To amend route and timetable" while others (e.g. 2/4) are "To amend route, stopping places and timetable". Are those mid-route stop changes?
Those usually indicate that there are differences in stops, eg: removing some, slight change of route etc but could also be marked incorrectly

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
Looking at the latest CSV spreadsheet uploaded ( https://www.data.gov.uk/dataset/9ea...-commissioners-local-bus-service-registration and then 'Bus registrations Scotland' - link opens government page with various CSV file downloads available updated today) the following routes are marked as both route & timetable being amended: 7, 8, 12, 14, 15, 23, 24, 27, 34, 37/X37, X6, N16, N28, N44, N107 & N113 . Of course these could be extremely minor changes so I wouldn't expect for anything massive here.

Potential Predictions

12 - Route Change in City Centre, maybe mirroring the 2 route from Haymarket to Morrison Street and then turning towards Tollcross with journeys towards The Gyle running via Ponton Street?

15 - Bus is either extended to Penicuik or Eastfield on either end, could be both?

34 - Bus is now running up Salamander Street permanently!

X37 - Now runs via Easter Bush in both directions (we know how much Lothian loves Easter Bush at this point so it is predictable)

N28 - Route change in Livingston? or City Terminus changed to Regent Road to accommodate the N18, also could have some potential return journeys!

N44 - Route change in City Centre or potential extension to Brunstane?

N113 - extended to Pencaitland?

Also I just had a thought, with the 4 now extending to QMU that’ll leave ASDA with only the 2 & 5 service, surely i would maybe change it so that the 2/5 share the same bus stop and then use the other bus stop for the 4 as it would be passing through, and also that way the 49 could also come back into ASDA? just a thought.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
Potential Predictions

12 - Route Change in City Centre, maybe mirroring the 2 route from Haymarket to Morrison Street and then turning towards Tollcross with journeys towards The Gyle running via Ponton Street?

15 - Bus is either extended to Penicuik or Eastfield on either end, could be both?

34 - Bus is now running up Salamander Street permanently!

X37 - Now runs via Easter Bush in both directions (we know how much Lothian loves Easter Bush at this point so it is predictable)

N28 - Route change in Livingston? or City Terminus changed to Regent Road to accommodate the N18, also could have some potential return journeys!

N44 - Route change in City Centre or potential extension to Brunstane?

N113 - extended to Pencaitland?
Regarding the N44 and N113, extensions are not happening. The N31 interlinks with the N44 does it not? With one Sunday X44 also being Airlink operated before going onto the 100. Of course that could change but I don't see why.

Last edited:

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
Unlike some operators, Lothian seem to give plenty notice so it could be by the end of this week/start of next.
I’m awaiting the inevitable comments on Facebook to be the following..

“Why are you cutting our only link to Kings Building?” - response to the 41 being withdrawn

“So does Newcraighall not get a link to the city centre anymore?!” - response to the 30 being re-routed up the A1

”great! Now I have to get two buses to town! just a way to get more money?!” - response to the 49 being cut to the Royal, leaving Rosewell with the 46

*some unintelligible rant about the council and the trams*

Pretty much covered it all here. :lol:

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
1030 out on the 124 in Lothian livery today

Saw it on a 139 on Saturday!

Unlike some operators, Lothian seem to give plenty notice so it could be by the end of this week/start of next.

Fingers crossed it comes soon, News on these changes is very tense when you got so little to work with.

Regarding the N44 and N113, extensions are not happening. The N31 interlinks with the N44 does it not? With one Sunday X44 also being Airlink operated before going onto the 100. Of course that could change but I don't see why.

I forgot about the N31/N44, is it not the same with the N3/N25?

ScotRail158725

Established Member

cammyeaston

Regarding the N44 and N113, extensions are not happening. The N31 interlinks with the N44 does it not? With one Sunday bus being Airlink operated before going onto the 100. Of course that could change but I don't see why.
Could the X6 and N113 changes perhaps be a rerouting in Wallyford to the new Futures Way?

eh1

Surely this would be counter productive - the morning peak heads into town, and afternoon out, essentially opposite to the usual flow of traffic to Easter Bush and increasing journey times over the respective 37/47 journeys?

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
Surely this would be counter productive - the morning peak heads into town, and afternoon out, essentially opposite to the usual flow of traffic to Easter Bush and increasing journey times over the respective 37/47 journeys?

I know I was being a little passive aggressive with my original statement as i think Lothian are always doing something to tweak the Easter Bush network!

Could the X6 and N113 changes perhaps be a rerouting in Wallyford to the new Futures Way?

In that case what about the 44? Any chance of that being changed as that road has been open for a while now hasn’t it?

Jordan1296

I know I was being a little passive aggressive with my original statement as i think Lothian are always doing something to tweak the Easter Bush network!

In that case what about the 44? any chance of that being changed, that road has been open for awhile now hasn’t it?
Indeed it has. Passed by last weekend and that road has a fair few bus shelters on each side. That, and Rosehill High School opens there in August.

Saw it on a 139 on Saturday!

Fingers crossed it comes soon, News on these changes is very tense when you got so little to work with.

I forgot about the N31/N44, is it not the same with the N3/N25?
I based my assumption on the fact some services are changing tomorrow due to the reopening of North Bridge so something else will have to take its place on the website!

Evora 83 is on service 3 - single deckers on double deck services seem to be slightly more common than they were.
Surely it would've made more sense to put it on a Service 33 and put an Ex-London on it? It would be slightly better than this but I suppose it can't really be helped which time the buses go out.