• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

stevenedin

841 is howling along Princes Street right now on the X27. It’s kind of a nice nostalgic touch, reminds me of the geminis that First operated sounding like that :)

Bus9120UK

Established Member
There are currently two different buses tracking as 1104 - is there any indication as to what other bus is tracking as 1104? 1077 is a possible candidate.

Last edited:
Lothian Vehicle Finder is currently showing vehicle 383 as being on the X27, but it doesn't seem to be tracking live on either the Lothian app or on bustimes.org; can anyone confirm if LVF is correct or if it is just a tracker swap? Thanks.

muffy

Lothian Vehicle Finder is currently showing vehicle 383 as being on the X27, but it doesn't seem to be tracking live on either the Lothian app or on bustimes.org; can anyone confirm if LVF is correct or if it is just a tracker swap? Thanks.
I suspect it's a correct allocation having replaced 850 last night for the 00:30 N28 to Bathgate in Edinburgh, and it just so happens both it plus 850 have duff trackers. Being a X27/N28 user, it's not been unknown for a Lothian bus to replace a LCB example if there is a problem, especially at night. Pity it's a rubbish day, as the wee man would have loved to see a Lothian bus pass by us.

I suspect it's a correct allocation having replaced 850 last night for the 00:30 N28 to Bathgate in Edinburgh, and it just so happens both it plus 850 have duff trackers. Being a X27/N28 user, it's not been unknown for a Lothian bus to replace a LCB example if there is a problem, especially at night. Pity it's a rubbish day, as the wee man would have loved to see a Lothian bus pass by us.
Ah.
Yeah if I'd had confirmation that it was definitely 383 then I'd have made an effort to take a ride on it, but as you said it's not really been the sort of day to be going out for it on the basis of "might be". I'll see what LVF says for it tomorrow and maybe go out.

Any idea if there will ever be a 'West Lothian Local' variant of the Lothian Country livery? A bit like the old X38 livery.
There won't be. Remember that the X38 was launched to compete with First and when they put branding on them, that was one of Richard Hall's marketing strategies to try and grab passengers from First. The new ownership probably wouldn't do anything like that, too.

NorthEastern

The issue lies with the passenger. The actual tap goes through in a second, and the system can process multiple separate taps even if it doesn't beep immediately.

Passengers who don't have their fare device ready and spend 5/10 seconds struggling to unlock that device or the classic run for bus then bag rummage is what causes hold-ups.

I would also say that u-22 concession cards can take a considerable amount of time to read on the Wayfarer due to them being a multi-use card, for school libraries and canteens etc.,

I feel the Wayfarer system Lothian are using has probably been pushed to its limit, as its not the most stable system as used from my point of view as a Driver.

*Wayfarer - Ticket machine used by Lothian.
Off topic I know but given for context, Arriva Northumbria drivers wait until boarding passengers are seated before pulling away from the stop, and alighting passengers are advised to ring the bell and remain seated until the bus comes to a stop before standing up. This applies to everyone not just oldies. Imagine that policy in LB!

Auld reekie

Off topic I know but given for context, Arriva Northumbria drivers wait until boarding passengers are seated before pulling away from the stop, and alighting passengers are advised to ring the bell and remain seated until the bus comes to a stop before standing up. This applies to everyone not just oldies. Imagine that policy in LB!
There a quite few passengers who do this on LB which I find irritating.
Understandable people with disabilities remain seated.
Everyone getting off likes to ring the bell. Bizarre behaviour.

Seen a Service 73 in Bathgate today, it seemed to be empty.. not sure if it’s the time I saw it but there were only ~4 people on the bus. Wondering if LCB would consider bringing single decks back into service…

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Seen a Service 73 in Bathgate today, it seemed to be empty.. not sure if it’s the time I saw it but there were only ~4 people on the bus. Wondering if LCB would consider bringing single decks back into service…
Bit extreme from seeing one service

Bus9120UK

Established Member
The 73 interworks with the 74, and there aren't any spare single deckers to use - bar bus 16. There will probably be quite a lot of changes in the near future as well so who knows if the 73 will even last in it's current form.

As the only passenger boarding a Lothian Country bus near the start of its route and with many spare seats I sometimes take a few moments to weigh up the options before deciding exactly where I should sit (legroom, position of sun etc). Sometimes the driver waits for me to do this, which in some ways is very nice of them but particularly embarrassing/insulting for me as they probably think I'm an oldie and liable to fall over if I'm standing when they drive away.

CN04NRJ

Established Member

I caught it this morning and it was extremely busy, (bus 934) all the LCB services I've seen arriving and departing with full loads. Though I suppose it is the last Saturday before Christmas.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
I actually saw a few around the time, but the 2nd one I saw (after the post I made) was actually busier.
Exactly, bar the odd one here and there every Lothian country bus I've seen for weeks has been heaving to the point that I now avoid the X27/28 during the day. The 72, 73 and 74 are always packed to the rafters and the X40 seems quite busy as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

CSB0241

On Moderation
It's more or less every bus, everyday (except Sunday) - delays up to half an hour. I would say the timings are just too tight. Some stops are scheduled all within a minute which may not even be possible.
Might need another bus added to the PVR

They normally stay on Airlink for about 5 years apart from 2015 and 2017 batches so maybe next year?
Potentially some Enviro500EVs?

---

What do you guys think the probability of Lothian Country getting some E100EVs in the near future to replace 841-850 for service on the 73/74/X40 (those three are normally not too busy & could just use single deckers)?

Bus9120UK

Established Member

---

What do you guys think the probability of Lothian Country getting some E100EVs in the near future to replace 841-850 for service on the 73/74/X40 (those three are normally not too busy & could just use single deckers)?
100EV? I hope you're joking. Lothian wouldn't even consider it. The 73 and 74 are quite busy throughout the day as well, if it even comes to considering the possibility with it. As stated previously, there is no guarantee that these services will still exist in half a year or if they will have been revised.

ScotRail158725

Established Member

---

They struggle for capacity with deckers now as has been stated multiple times here. Ridiculous suggestion to suggest single deckers let alone short wheelbase ones

CN04NRJ

Established Member
100EV? I hope you're joking. Lothian wouldn't even consider it. The 73 and 74 are quite busy throughout the day as well, if it even comes to considering the possibility with it. As stated previously, there is no guarantee that these services will still exist in half a year or if they will have been revised.

With the passenger loadings I can't see it going backwards from here. Probably when the BZLs start arriving they'll get some 600s or Wright B5/B5LHs.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
With the passenger loadings I can't see it going backwards from here. Probably when the BZLs start arriving they'll get some 600s or Wright B5/B5LHs.
Not necessarily backwards, but forwards. I can't see the network being kept as the 72/3/4 only in the long term.

I have noticed recently buses on the 72 are now being switched out throughout the day to avoid delays - one bus will run from the depot to Fauldhouse and depart on time, while the late running bus continues as standard to Fauldhouse before running back to the garage.

I can't see a new order coming next year unless it's diesel (which isn't happening). Why would Lothian even get some Enviro100 EVs in the future anyway when you could get larger Single Decker BZLs, besides I doubt an Enviro100 EV would do well on an X40 anyway! And then you say that they're not normally busy, have you not seen photos, heard stories or seen it in real life?

JKP

---

I cannot think why Lothian would invest in new buses for West Lothian at present. The network needs to prove itself and make a return on the existing investment before such matters could be considered.

gomango

I cannot think why Lothian would invest in new buses for West Lothian at present. The network needs to prove itself and make a return on the existing investment before such matters could be considered.

---

Also apparently the West Lothian Buses have been quite busy even with double deckers so there's no reason to buy single deckers. Electric buses won't suit West Lothian that well anyway as all the services quite a long distances and they would run out of charge fast.

scosutsut

There was a plan published by Lothian that charted the order and timeline for each Depot getting electrified, pretty sure Livingston was quite a while off.

I also can't see Lothian buying singles for ages, based on the age profile of the single decker fleet and also the small matter that they have more than they need right now.