• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian group (Network/Route Speculation)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
Since the timetable/route changes are coming up I thought I'd have a go at the LCB network.

Peak time extension in Bold

X18 -
Current route between Whitburn and Edinburgh increased to every 15 minutes at peak times

New Service X19 - Linlithgow to Edinburgh via Bridgend, Threemiletown, Winchburgh, Kirkliston, Queensferry, Dalmeny, Scotstoun Terminus, Crammond, Barnton, Clermiston, Muarryfield and Haymarket.

X27/X28 - X27 extended to Whitburn via Seafield, Blackburn and East Whitburn. X28 Current route between Edinburgh and Bathgate increased to every 30 minutes.

X40 - Extended to Fort Kinaird via Newcraighall Rd, for Southern Orbit

New Service 40 - Queensferry to Balerno via Kirkliston, Newbridge, Ratho and Kirknewton for connections with X18, X27/X28 and 43 and 72

43 - No Changes

72 - Route modified between Livingston Centre and Fauldhouse (Extends to Fauldhouse Railway Station) via Polbeth, West Calder, and Stoneyburn

New Route 73 - Linlithgow to Livingston Centre via Torphichen, Bathgate, Blackburn, Seafield, Livingston Village and St. John's Hospital

New Route 74 - Livingston South Railway Station to Fauldhouse (Railway Station) via Livingston Centre, St. John's Hospital, Ladywell, Knightsridge, Deans North (W-bound), Deans South (E-bound), Tesco Distribution, Boghall, Bathgate, Armadale, Whitburn Cross, and Longridge.

New Service 75 - Queensferry to Bathgate/Pyramids Bussiness Park via J4M8 Ferrymuir, Kirkliston, Broxburn, Uphall, Uphall Station, Pumpherston, Craigshill, Livingston Centre, Fastlink, Deerpark, Dechmont, Tesco Distribution, Bathgate, J4M8, Pyramids Business Park.

Here are my thoughts on each change.

X18 - Absolute no brainer this.

X19 - Seems like alot, while it does create a link between Linlithgow and Queensferry, the route it takes into Edinburgh is very interesting, directly linking Murrayfield with Barnton and Queensferry, I like it but not sure how practical it would be in the long run.

X27/X28 - I could see the X27 going back to Whitburn via the original route pre 2022, but on the other hand I think a frequency increase is a priority on this route above all else, and maybe have one of them take a different route via Livingston, like have the X28 run via Deans South.

X40 - I get where your going with this but I doubt it will happen since we have 3 buses already directly running to Fort Kinnaird from the Royal Infirmary, maybe it could work regardless? I at least feel this one could run up the Wisp at least rather than Niddrie.

40 - as stated above the new Cramond to Balerno service will cover the Gyle to Balerno link, and the Queensferry to Gyle link will be covered no doubt by LCB, besides that, the issue would be with the Fare zones, City West (Queensferry) CountryWest (Kirknewton) and City Zone (Balerno).

72 - So the 72 will become the 74?

73 - It would make a nice change from the 31, and connecting Linlithgow and Livingston. Will it serve Wester Inch?

74 - So the 74 becomes a better 72? :lol:

75 - im sold on the Queensferry to Livingston link, but will Winchburgh be served? The only problem with the revised 72 is that it cuts out the link between Livingston and Kirkliston.

No. There is a reason why the 63 won't go to Balerno soon and it would compete with the 63 - a tendered route.
Strictly speaking it isn't supposed to work in that direction. The commercial proposal would be allowed and in theory encouraged.
But I know what you mean and it's the reality these days.

CSB0241

On Moderation
The only reason I didn't put the 77 through Newton & Philipstoun is I don't feel there'd be enough passengers from those areas, as well as the width of the roads considering the buses that Lothian Country have/might have in future.
There could be a service that only operated a couple journeys a day (like the SD Travel 16) between Queensferry & Blackburn via Newton, Old Philpstoun, Ecclesmachan, Dechmont, Deans Depot, & Shin Etsu perhaps?

New Service 40 - Queensferry to Balerno via Kirkliston, Newbridge, Ratho and Kirknewton for connections with X18, X27/X28 and 43 and 72
Newbridge to Wester Hailes via Ratho could be viable perhaps (if the 63 & 20 merge to make a Queensferry to Chesser service leaving the other bit of the 20 with nothing)

SoloSR334022

I've had some thoughts about, but why can't Lothian serve outside the Lothians as Lothian Country? If this happened the current Lothian Country operations could instead be focused on connecting places outside West, East and Mid Lothian with place like Shotts, Airdrie, Peebles and Galashies as well as Falkirk, Grangemouth and Fife.
It would make Lothian the 'Lothian' operator and would allow Lothian Country (Lothian Group) to put pressure on other operators.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
I've had some thoughts about, but why can't Lothian serve outside the Lothians as Lothian Country? If this happened the current Lothian Country operations could instead be focused on connecting places outside West, East and Mid Lothian with place like Shotts, Airdrie, Peebles and Galashies as well as Falkirk, Grangemouth and Fife.
It would make Lothian the 'Lothian' operator and would allow Lothian Country (Lothian Group) to put pressure on other operators.

I mean I get where you are coming from, but at the end of the day do you really see Lothian bothering to extend a service to Dunfermline? or to Peebles? as far as I'm aware Stagecoach seem to be in a fine situation, I know Border Buses have a few issues but otherwise provide a pretty decent service.

NorthClyde320

Regarding Ratho and it's residents wanting a service to/from Edinburgh what about extending service 12 once per hour to/from Gyle Centre with council support? I know it doesn't serve the main City area but it's as near as and would be a cheaper option than a fully supported new Ratho to Edinburgh service.

Last edited:

CSB0241

On Moderation
Regarding Ratho and it's residents wanting a service to/from Edinburgh what about extending service 12 once per hour to/from Gyle Centre with council support? I know it doesn't serve the main City area but it's as near as and would be a cheaper option than a fully supported new Ratho to Edinburgh service.
Residents of Ratho want a more frequent bus service than just hourly.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member

Again the only problem with any existing service extending to Ratho would be the fare zones, so I don't think I can see any Lothian service running through that area unless it's under the Country brand.

Judging by the Tender options, it'll either be a direct route via the A8 (which covers more of Ratho) or via the A71 which will essentially copy the X27/X28 route into Edinburgh, hopefully Option A will be the one they pick in the end.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
Residents of Ratho want a more frequent bus service than just hourly.
Most residents actually want an existing route rerouted so it has a higher liklihood of being maintained. I've heard silly suggestions like the X27 and/or the X28 mainly. The 12 and 22 are the probably options in the City - the former being a more appropriate frequency. Neither would provide links onto Princes Street, the 12 would provide wanted links both to the Gyle and Corstorphine.

mb88

I honestly can’t see there being sufficient demand to justify a direct service from Ratho to the city centre which, as mentioned by others, will duplicate either the X27/X28 or the X18 for the vast majority of its length. I find it odd that it’s been included in the council proposals rather than just better connections between the 20 and the X18 at Ratho Station. People may not like having to change buses, but that’s life unfortunately.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
Most residents actually want an existing route rerouted so it has a higher liklihood of being maintained. I've heard silly suggestions like the X27 and/or the X28 mainly. The 12 and 22 are the probably options in the City - the former being a more appropriate frequency. Neither would provide links onto Princes Street, the 12 would provide wanted links both to the Gyle and Corstorphine.

And again, the one problem with that would be the fare zones, unless the 12 or 22 will convert to Lothian Country I doubt they will extend beyond Ingliston.

Would it not be better for a service from Ratho to serve the full length of Prince's Street, though?

Yes but it risks 'competing' with existing services on these corridors.
If Lothian gets Ratho to Edinburgh via the A71, would it not help capacity issues on that stretch as the X27/X28 already suffers there? I understand that Lothian wouldn't be happy if another company got it. Unfortunately, for a true "express" service, they would most likely have to use the A71 or A8, which I believe is what they're looking for.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
If Lothian gets Ratho to Edinburgh via the A71, would it not help capacity issues on that stretch as the X27/X28 already suffers there? I understand that Lothian wouldn't be happy if another company got it. Unfortunately, for a true "express" service, they would most likely have to use the A71 or A8, which I believe is what they're looking for.

That is a good point, but the only problem is by having that, it would only serve half of Ratho, which is better than nothing, also it could be an all stopping service too unlike the X27/X28, personally think they should of maybe suggested routing it via Gorgie and Dalry instead of West Approach Road to relieve pressure off the 25 too!

If it did run through the A8 it would relieve pressure from the X18 in the CityWest Zone and serve all of Ratho and Ratho Station.

bobdoe

That is a good point, but the only problem is by having that, it would only serve half of Ratho, which is better than nothing, also it could be an all stopping service too unlike the X27/X28, personally think they should of maybe suggested routing it via Gorgie and Dalry instead of West Approach Road to relieve pressure off the 25 too!

If it did run through the A8 it would relieve pressure from the X18 in the CityWest Zone and serve all of Ratho and Ratho Station.
How about

Newbridge Terminus
Ratho Station
Ratho (to Hallcroft and back)
Dalmahoy Road
A71
B701
A70 (via ASDA Chesser)
West Approach Road
Waterloo Place
I honestly can’t see there being sufficient demand to justify a direct service from Ratho to the city centre which, as mentioned by others, will duplicate either the X27/X28 or the X18 for the vast majority of its length. I find it odd that it’s been included in the council proposals rather than just better connections between the 20 and the X18 at Ratho Station. People may not like having to change buses, but that’s life unfortunately.
The above route would reduce overlap by running along the B701 and A70, partially covering the existing 20.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
How about

Newbridge Terminus
Ratho Station
Ratho (to Hallcroft and back)
Dalmahoy Road
A71
B701
A70 (via ASDA Chesser)
West Approach Road
Waterloo Place

The above route would reduce overlap by running along the B701 and A70, partially covering the existing 20.

Where is Newbridge Terminus? also I think your suggestion is great.

gavin1985

A bus can't turn around there as Old Liston Road narrows too much for wide vehicles. A one-way terminus could potentially work though?
Good point, as far Newbridge goes it is the only thing that would make sense to me. Although I do wonder how it will turn around to head back through Newbridge into Ratho, unless it goes along to Newbridge roundabout and swing around to use Clifton Road to get back?
Although it does seem a big long winded for a turning point.

bobdoe

Good point, as far Newbridge goes it is the only thing that would make sense to me. Although I do wonder how it will turn around to head back through Newbridge into Ratho, unless it goes along to Newbridge roundabout and swing around to use Clifton Road to get back?
Although it does seem a big long winded for a turning point.
Yes I was thinking a one-way loop between Ratho Station and Newbridge could work, as there is no right turn on the A8 eastbound.

Towards Newbridge:
Baird Road
Harvest Road
Queen Anne Drive
Station Road
A8
Old Liston Road
Parkside (terminus)

Towards Edinburgh:
Old Liston Road north
A89 (connections with other buses)
Old Liston Road
Cliftonhall Road
Harvest Road
Baird Road

So passengers from Ratho Station going to Edinburgh would board towards Newbridge.

gavin1985

Yes I was thinking a one-way loop between Ratho Station and Newbridge could work, as there is no right turn on the A8 eastbound.

Towards Newbridge:
Baird Road
Harvest Road
Queen Anne Drive
Station Road
A8
Old Liston Road
Parkside (terminus)

Towards Edinburgh:
Old Liston Road north
Old Liston Road
Cliftonhall Road
Harvest Road
Baird Road

So passengers from Ratho Station going to Edinburgh would board towards Newbridge.
Certainly an interesting one and it could work for sure. Not that I know of many terminuses but are there any other ones that work in a similar way?

bobdoe

Certainly an interesting one and it could work for sure. Not that I know of many terminuses but are there any other ones that work in a similar way?
I don't think any Lothian buses operate this type of loop (almost a figure of 8?). Maybe McGill's service 68 comes close, the loops and U-turns on that route look even more complicated.

If Lothian operated this potential Ratho route and if they wanted to then they could link this route with the Service 72 at Kirkliston, yes, the route isn't the quickest but it still works as a link to Edinburgh. I suppose they have the X38 already but it's worth a shot.

Last edited:

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
If Lothian operated this potential route and if they wanted to then they could link this route with the Service 72 at Kirkliston, yes, the route isn't the quickest but it still works as a link to Edinburgh. I suppose they have the X38 already but it's worth a shot.
Which route? (Please quote the posts that you're replying to!)

SoloSR334022

Towards Newbridge:
Baird Road
Harvest Road
Queen Anne Drive
Station Road
A8
Old Liston Road
Parkside (terminus)

Towards Edinburgh:
Old Liston Road north
Old Liston Road
Cliftonhall Road
Harvest Road
Baird Road

Why not just loop around Riverside and keep Parkside as a two-way terminus? Then join the A8 at J1M9 roundabout and serve Ingliston P&R (City-bound only)