• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LU/Elizabeth Line 4G update

Gigabit

I'd be adding mobile coverage to places without Wi-Fi first. Yes the access points may need upgrading, but they generally work fine and you can make and receive calls if the network supports VoWiFi.

I would agree with this strategy in theory but the fact is, right now TfL/whoever do not have any plans to come back and do more and my fear is they never will. And they will say rely on Wi-Fi.

You say they work, during peak times they barely do and for Wi-Fi Calling I've found the access points middling at best, doesn't matter what network I've tried it with.

I will drop calls left, right and centre going through the walkways at the stations I've said, even with Wi-Fi.

The only hope I have is that TfL choose to extend the scope of the project at some point. But I still think they've been very misleading about covering "every" station.

Thinking about Wifi, as the infrastructure for these is now well over 10 years old, wouldn't they need to be replaced with more modern wifi points? I've noticed some of the wifi points need a very good clean.

Yeah, they've never been changed as best I know, so I wonder if this has all been factored into the plans, I can only hope.

I just find TfL's "the MNOs can cover it as the places are above ground" is a bit of a cop out. They will know full well how difficult getting sites close to these stations will be with planning etc. They could help out, if they wanted to.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bicbasher

Established Member
A couple of weeks later and I still can't get EE to work on the EL platforms at Whitechapel.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
l note several weeks after the press release and updated map being published, Victoria line signal is still only available on o2.

JonnyM

l note several weeks after the press release and updated map being published, Victoria line signal is still only available on o2.
It seems the rollout timetable being followed by the Telco providers is very different to the timetable which TfL is using (and basing all the publicity material on) :lol:

Busman

Pretty sad that the people of today can't bear to be without their TikTok's and instagrams for just a few minutes whilst they travel on the underground.

Everyone is heads down these days, not got much else going on apart from asking "what's the WiFi code please" and "is there any 4/5G signal?" and going nuts when they can't access their 'socials'. What a state.

jon0844

Veteran Member
It's very useful to check onward connections when on a train/tube, as you can plan a different route if you discover that a line is suspended, or your train is cancelled etc.

It isn't just about people on their socials. Yes, that's a sizeable percentage I'm sure, but connectivity is useful for SO many reasons.

I am frankly surprised anyone would think it's a bad thing.

Recessio

Pretty sad that the people of today can't bear to be without their TikTok's and instagrams for just a few minutes whilst they travel on the underground.

Everyone is heads down these days, not got much else going on apart from asking "what's the WiFi code please" and "is there any 4/5G signal?" and going nuts when they can't access their 'socials'. What a state.
Ah yes, because people were always more sociable and started conversations in the extremely loud tube tunnels - rather than read a newspaper or book, or listen to music.

The ability to read emails, send a message to let a loved one know you're on your way home safely, or check onward travel connections is all hugely beneficial - it's not just TikTok.

Busman

Ah yes, because people were always more sociable and started conversations in the extremely loud tube tunnels - rather than read a newspaper or book, or listen to music.

The ability to read emails, send a message to let a loved one know you're on your way home safely, or check onward travel connections is all hugely beneficial - it's not just TikTok.

Give it a rest. Let a loved one know you're on your way home safely? So people let their loved ones know via twitter (X), Facebook, Instagram and TikTok yeah?

It must be one hell of a message people are sending if they're still typing from Paddington to Canary Wharf.

MrJeeves

Established Member
So people let their loved ones know via twitter (X), Facebook, Instagram and TikTok yeah?
Or... text message? Phone call? WhatsApp? Snapchat? Discord? Facebook Messenger? All of these require either a phone signal or the internet...

It must be one hell of a message people are sending if they're still typing from Paddington to Canary Wharf.
Get this -- people might have multiple friends or family members to contact! :o

Busman

All good descriptions of this whinging, which is all you seem to be interested in doing.

Aha, not so, merely pointing out some facts.

Fantastic response. :lol:

Lets hope they get this up running across the network, seems people have meltdowns if they can't get their precious 4G/5G network. We can't have you poor people be without connectivity for longer than 5 minutes.

Or... text message? Phone call? WhatsApp? Snapchat? Discord? Facebook Messenger? All of these require either a phone signal or the internet...

Get this -- people might have multiple friends or family members to contact!:o

Seriously? You're actually saying that? :lol:

If you're so against technology, then why are you posting here?

Sorry, did I say I was against technology? It's amazing some people out there go nuts because 4/5G has been delayed and blaming Tfl for another delay, yet we have put up without having it for centuries. Forget whether my train has been delayed AGAIN, where is my 5G?

DC1989

Lets hope they get this up running across the network, seems people have meltdowns if they can't get their precious 4G/5G network. We can't have you poor people be without connectivity for longer than 5 minutes.
Or 3 hours if you were one of those unlucky ones in December

stuu

Established Member
Sorry, did I say I was against technology? It's amazing some people out there go nuts because 4/5G has been delayed and blaming Tfl for another delay, yet we have put up without having it for centuries. Forget whether my train has been delayed AGAIN, where is my 5G?
Where are these people going off their nuts?

BJames

Established Member
With the signal in the tunnels just the other week I was able to see that the Victoria line was operating with severe delays, while it was only showing minor delays when I entered the network. This then meant I was able to update my manager from underground, whilst in the tunnels and not in a station, so unable to adapt my journey, to inform of the delay.

This can only be a good thing. Deep level tubes are too loud to play irritating video out loud - they simply have to put headphones on (and even then it can be hard to hear unless you've got good noise cancelling headphones!). I'm sure some people will try but it's worth the trade off for me.

Busman

Or 3 hours if you were one of those unlucky ones in December
You cannot use a very rare occurrence like that when travelling end to end in the tunnel is no more than 30-40 minutes no matter what line you are on.

Yes, multiple times. Are you a luddite?

If you could quote me when I said I was 'against technology' I'd be much obliged chief.

I think if you read again what I wrote, it said, it's pretty sad people can't go without a bit of 4/5G for half hour and these excuses I've heard have been pretty poor.

Sorry if that's upset you.

If you could quote me when I said I was 'against technology' I'd be much obliged chief.

I think if you read again what I wrote, it said, it's pretty sad people can't go without a bit of 4/5G for half hour and these excuses I've heard have been pretty poor.

Sorry if that's upset you.
I note no outright denial.

absolutelymilk

Established Member
If hypothetically anyone wants to actually read about the updates rather people complaining about the introduction, then I would suggest using the "Ignore" button on the profiles of specific members

Busman

I note no outright denial.

Okay here it is, I'm outright denying it. Now quote me where I said it.

I work in technology Sir, so how you've come to that assumption is beyond me. I'll repeat again because you seem to be having trouble with what I said, I cannot believe people can't go without their device for longer than 30-40mins max. That pretty much sums up our society these days.

I could go on and prove the point further but I won't.

Look forward to the quotes where I said I hate technology.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Why do you keep referring to 4G or 5G, as against connectivity in general? I mean, it comes over as if you're somehow against the use of one or both of these technologies.

There has to be some reason to think it's fine to lose connectivity underground or within stations. Sure we all survived, usually by saying to people that 'I'm going on the tube' and going out of contact - as well as being unable to update people if anything changes.

Or maybe you are against TikTok or some other social media service? I would agree that there are major issues with social media, but that's no reason to hold back the rollout of connectivity - whether at a station or the middle of a field in rural Scotland.

stuu

Established Member
I work in technology Sir, so how you've come to that assumption is beyond me. I'll repeat again because you seem to be having trouble with what I said, I cannot believe people can't go without their device for longer than 30-40mins max. That pretty much sums up our society these days.
You work in technology but can't think of useful reasons people might need connectivity on the tube??

As has already been suggested, basic stuff like checking delays, progress reports to people you are meeting etc. Then there are other useful things like being able to connect your work, clients etc. Navigation, so you know where you are going at the other end. There are plenty of things that it is handy to be able to do in the time spent on the tube. And yes, people will use it to access social media.

There's clearly demand otherwise no-one would be paying for it

stuu

Established Member
My phone claimed to be on 5G at Whitechapel this morning (Smarty, via 3)

MrJeeves

Established Member
That's odd. I thought it was just 4G on the EL platforms?
5G indicated by phones is meaningless. See post 489:

stuu

Established Member
5G indicated by phones is meaningless. See post 489:

That's interesting, didn't know that. Just checked and I didn't realise Samsung phones displayed two different versions of the 5G symbol depending on the actual network.

This morning was the "LTE network connected in LTE network that includes the 5G network" symbol, whatever that really means