• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lumo applies to operate Rochdale - London

Neptune

Established Member
How much time does it save?
Don’t worry I’ll answer it for you. The 1Jxx fast services are on average anywhere between 2 and 5 minutes quicker than the 1D/1Exx Chester services which have just 3 extra stops LDS - MCV, 2 extra between Halifax and Manchester.

These 2tph run all day every day with the Chester service providing a WCML connection at Warrington BQ.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mike57

Established Member
I wouldn't plan my day around a few express services when there is clockface northern service that only takes an extra ten minutes.
The other advantage of express services is that there is less passenger churn and the carriage environment tends to be better, If I am purchasing in advance and tieing myself to a specific service then if practical I will choose the one I think will be the most comfortable.

Established Member
Don’t worry I’ll answer it for you. The 1Jxx fast services are on average anywhere between 2 and 5 minutes quicker than the 1D/1Exx Chester services which have just 3 extra stops LDS - MCV, 2 extra between Halifax and Manchester.

These 2tph run all day every day with the Chester service providing a WCML connection at Warrington BQ.
Thank you! Absolutely no way that the members proposed Lumo service to Bradford would be a significant time saver or wouldn't be abstractive then.

I was starting to wonder if I used the same line/services as this member was on about!

Neptune

Established Member
Thank you! Absolutely no way that the members proposed Lumo service to Bradford would be a significant time saver or wouldn't be abstractive then.

I was starting to wonder if I used the same line/services as this member was on about!
It’s amazing how different a route can sound if you want it to work for you and you only.

Thanks to the many other services that interact with these services across the route (stoppers in the main alongside the fast York - Blackpool service) there is a good spread across all trains so never overly busy except at peak times (SX am/pm peak and key weekend leisure times).

I think some people who only use public transport want to have it to themselves like some sort of 100m long taxi.

It always sounds to me something like “I don’t want my train to stop somewhere with good passenger numbers (Hebden Bridge or Todmorden in this case) because this family might want to share this table for 4 that I’ve got to myself”.

Halifaxlad

Established Member

Why are you trying to make everything out about time ?

Since you want to make this all about time if skip stopping isnt faster than why do services already do it ?

Halifaxlad

Established Member
Possibly because you advocated for faster Bradford-Manchester services?
Now youre just conflating two different things!

Advocating for semi-fast services, the type of service (stopping/semi-fast/fast) isn't neccesarily advocating for faster services.

That would be like saying if someone advocated for more stopping services, they are advocating for slower services.

zwk500

Veteran Member

Halifaxlad

Established Member
No, I'm quoting you (see below).

Agree, however you said in post 66:

Yes but your'e quoting me from a response to you about something you claimed earlier. At least find something that has already been said to support your claim rather than hoping for something to be said after you have made your claim! This is just upside down!

You do realise there is a difference between hypothetically speaking about advocating for something and actually advocating for something ?

Whilst I do advocate for semi fast services as we do have currently on this route I advocate for a change of pattern!

Im presume you haven' read the context before you quoted that post! As you must have skipped the comment about Walsden, Sowerby Bridge & Mytholmroyd!

I.e basically skip stopping services already operate on this route!

Neptune

Established Member
Let’s be clear about this - Lumo is not going to Bradford via Rochdale.
Not a chance at all, especially with the totally ignored lack of wires or lack of ability for a BEMU to make it there and back amongst other things.

Sadly it’s the usual thing when an OA application comes in. People take it too far and decide that what’s proposed isn’t enough and needs to go much further right into the realms of unrealism as in this case.

The Middle

Application now online at the below link. The particular application for the Rochdale-London service is the Section 17 application in 'current track access applications'

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Application now online at the below link. The particular application for the Rochdale-London service is the Section 17 application in 'current track access applications'

A new open access rail service between Rochdale and London restoring this direct link for the first time in almost a quarter of a century, that will be operated with new build battery electric trains.
---
The services will be resourced by modern new build battery electric 125mph rolling stock with performance capabilities comparable to the new Class 803 trains that Lumo have been operating since 2021.
---
The new trains will be 125mph electric rolling stock, based on a 5-car train formation that can operate in multiple formation.
High speed battery trains, lets hope the trial on the 802s goes well, as it may directly lead to the construction of these.
Lumo has developed a new business model for rail based on a single travel class.
Good to know they won't be wasting space with First Class on these services.

skyhigh

Established Member
Would Newcastle Sunderland York leeds Blackpool be popular?
Operated by Lumo?

Regardless, there is no space through Leeds East into Leeds and little through the Calder Valley so unless you cut the Northern service to allow an open access in (never going to happen) there's no chance of it happening anyway.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Would Newcastle Sunderland York leeds Blackpool be popular?

For that you might want to look at:

Newcastle - one or two metro stops - Sunderland - Hartlepool - Yarm - Thirsk - York - Castleford - Mirfield - Brighouse - Elland - Sowerby Bridge - Burnley Manchester Road - one or two local stops - Preston - Salwick - Layton - Kirkham and Wesham - Lytham - St Annes - Blackpool South

Even then you've probably got very little chance.

Nottingham59

Established Member
I'm surprised by the proposed calls at Eccles but it does make sense if you think about it. Also Newton-le-Willows.

Grimsby town

I'm surprised by the proposed calls at Eccles but it does make sense if you think about it. Also Newton-le-Willows.
Eccles should have a far better rail service than it currently gets. It provides relatively good interchange opportunities to Salford and Media City via bus and tram but its also developing significantly. There's a few high rise residential buildings under construction and more planned in the future. As you say, if this service happens, a stop at Eccles makes a lot of sense.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
For that you might want to look at:

Newcastle - one or two metro stops - Sunderland - Hartlepool - Yarm - Thirsk - York - Castleford - Mirfield - Brighouse - Elland - Sowerby Bridge - Burnley Manchester Road - one or two local stops - Preston - Salwick - Layton - Kirkham and Wesham - Lytham - St Annes - Blackpool South

Even then you've probably got very little chance.
How are you doing Salwick to Layton and then a reversal to Kirkham and Wesham?
A better route, if the route via Leeds is too congested, would be to perhaps head down the Tyne Valley to Carlisle, out down the Settle and Carlisle and then off down the Clitheroe line towards Preston.