• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lumo overspeed incident at Peterborough (17/04/2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephen rp

I've not read too far back (or the full report), but am I missing something?

The train was slowed by a caution (or red?) aspect because it was going onto a 25 mph crossover (presumably preset). Then a certain distance from the signal the preset cleared the route, with a feather (or other indicator) and a green aspect. As this was some distance from the junction the train was able to accelerate to way more than the crossover speed.

Why not show a yellow aspect for the move?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
I've not read too far back (or the full report), but am I missing something?

The train was slowed by a caution (or red?) aspect because it was going onto a 25 mph crossover (presumably preset). Then a certain distance from the signal the preset cleared the route, with a feather (or other indicator) and a green aspect. As this was some distance from the junction the train was able to accelerate to way more than the crossover speed.

Why not show a yellow aspect for the move?
See post 280 and subsequent discussion.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The signalling hardware is still the same, yet both these incidents happened recently.
One other thing that has changed is the advent of the 80x series units, whose acceleration on electric power far outpaces that of anything that would have regularly approached that signal before. The report mentions that a HST would also have been pretty fast at the crossover if driven in the same way, but unlike the 80x it was probably not fast enough to be close to overturning.
Costs aside, what would be the pro's and con's, and is it technically possible, to have the JI flash...at least at some high risk locations?
There's a hazard there that the driver might glance at it during one or more "off" phases and conclude that they had got the unrestricted straight route.

Railsigns

Established Member
There's a hazard there that the driver might glance at it [a flashing junction indicator] during one or more "off" phases and conclude that they had got the unrestricted straight route.
The details are a bit sketchy, but there apparently used to be junction indicators at Rugby whose lamps were momentarily extinguished in turn to create an animated effect. Not only did this emphasise the direction of the divergence (helpful where a signal had combinations of junction indicators that pointed in opposite directions) but unlike flashing lights, the lamps wouldn't all go out at the same time while the indication was active.

One other thing that has changed is the advent of the 80x series units, whose acceleration on electric power far outpaces that of anything that would have regularly approached that signal before. The report mentions that a HST would also have been pretty fast at the crossover if driven in the same way, but unlike the 80x it was probably not fast enough to be close to overturning.
Agreed the 803 will have far quicker accelaration,

HOWEVER the point I'm making is the Lumo is being pulled onto the "slow" so effectively the Driver must have the inkling something quicker is going by or something in Platform 3 is going before him (Green Banner in 3 is a give away) so why open her out, Experience says potter along, let whatever is going in front, go. And theory says he'll keep rolling

TreacleMiller

Agreed the 803 will have far quicker accelaration,

HOWEVER the point I'm making is the Lumo is being pulled onto the "slow" so effectively the Driver must have the inkling something quicker is going by or something in Platform 3 is going before him (Green Banner in 3 is a give away) so why open her out, Experience says potter along, let whatever is going in front, go. And theory says he'll keep rolling
He had no idea that was happening.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Correct. They saw the signal but the not the junction indicator. It's all in the report.
Indeed. And this was exacerbated because they were driving a high-performance train that was capable of accelerating in a relatively short distance to a speed where overturning was narrowly avoided.

Purple Train

Established Member
The details are a bit sketchy, but there apparently used to be junction indicators at Rugby whose lamps were momentarily extinguished in turn to create an animated effect. Not only did this emphasise the direction of the divergence (helpful where a signal had combinations of junction indicators that pointed in opposite directions) but unlike flashing lights, the lamps wouldn't all go out at the same time while the indication was active.
That sounds like a good idea.

MotCO

Established Member

A bit like the 'strobe' indicators on some modern (German?) cars?

LAX54

Established Member
The driver saw the main aspect (green light) but not the junction indicator (line of small white lights), both of which are elements of the same signal.
So Driver error, although NR is seemingly taking some of the blame, so who should pay for Signalling alterations for the TOCs new stock ? The TOC should fund it 100% if they wish to buy faster accelerating trains.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
So Driver error, although NR is seemingly taking some of the blame, so who should pay for Signalling alterations for the TOCs new stock ? The TOC should fund it 100% if they wish to buy faster accelerating trains.
Do the Lumo trains accelerate faster than LNER’s or Hull Trains’ 80x units?

TreacleMiller

Do the Lumo trains accelerate faster than LNER’s or Hull Trains’ 80x units?
No, they don't. 801s/803s are marginally quicker to accelerate but nothing meaningful unless youre hard accelerating the entire drive.

Acceleration is not the issue here either. The risk of a really bad overspeed is arguably greater due to increased speeds but that's the same throughout the network. I'm told by older hands than me that there was an increase in Spads etc. Which many put down to higher levels of acceleration on newer stock.

Here it appears the blind was super low, driver didn't see it or check for it. That has happened at other TOCs on other junctions and it's actively briefed against at my TOC.

One and the same, no? Again, not being antagonistic, just curious.

No they aren't the samething but still ultimately human error.

It will be very interesting to see if the GC incident was due to similar reasons (didn't see it) or if they genuinely didn't have the route knowledge.

Signal Head

What era are we talking about for that? I've never heard of that being done.
It's an interesting idea.

Railsigns

Established Member
What era are we talking about for that? I've never heard of that being done.
It's an interesting idea.
The only reference I've seen to them was in a weekly operating notice from 1960 that mentions them being converted to ordinary junction indicators. I would love to find out more about them.

Signal Head

The only reference I've seen to them was in a weekly operating notice from 1960 that mentions them being converted to ordinary junction indicators. I would love to find out more about them.
Thanks. So that predates the SGE resignalling, meaning they'd have been worked from the original lever frame boxes.

Railsigns

Established Member
Thanks. So that predates the SGE resignalling, meaning they'd have been worked from the original lever frame boxes.
Yes, the signals involved would have been installed under the LMS colour light scheme of 1939. The signalling notice for that work mentions nothing unusual about the junction indicators though.

MarkyT

Established Member
The driver saw the main aspect (green light) but not the junction indicator (line of small white lights), both of which are elements of the same signal.
While I like position 1 and 4 Junction Indicators (JI) as clear long-range directional indicators, my personal opinion is that the other JI positions are not at all intuitive and the horizontal ones in particular (positions 2 and 5) seem easy to disregard against a background of horizontal elements of bridges, gantries etc. For complex signals such as P468, I prefer a hybrid approach where only positions 1 and 4 JIs are used, supplemented where necessary by an alphanumeric Route Indicator (RI), displaying line name abbreviations or platform numbers. In this case, a position 1 JI would be displayed for both left-turning divergences, with '1' or '2' illuminated in an associated RI to indicate the precise destination. This method is permitted in current standards I think, as long as all the divergences associated with the particular JI position are of a similar speed, which is the case at Peterborough.

Last edited:

norbitonflyer

Established Member
While I like position 1 and 4 Junction Indicators (JI) as clear long-range directional indicators, my personal opinion is that the other JI positions are not at all intuitive and the horizontal ones in particular (positions 2 and 5) seem easy to disregard against a background of horizontal elements of bridges, gantries etc. For complex signals such as P468, I prefer a hybrid approach where only positions 1 and 4 JIs are used, supplemented where necessary by an alphanumeric Route Indicator (RI), displaying line name abbreviations or platform numbers. In this case, a position 1 JI would be displayed for both left-turning divergences, with '1' or '2' illuminated in an associated RI to indicate the precise destination. This method is permitted in current standards I think, as long as all the divergences associated with the particular JI position are of a similar speed, which is the case at Peterborough.
I would agree that The J3 and J6 indications, (suggesting turns of more than 90 degrees!) are not intuitive.

At Peterborough, where all the directions lead to a platform, why not have the indicators show the platform number instead (or as well) as the J1-6 "feathers".

MarkyT

Established Member
I would agree that The J3 and J6 indications, (suggesting turns of more than 90 degrees!) are not intuitive.

At Peterborough, where all the directions lead to a platform, why not have the indicators show the platform number instead (or as well) as the J1-6 "feathers".
Indeed 3 & 6 have always looked very weird to my eyes. JIs have been preferred historically because they are long-range readable, >800m on approach. RIs, even the larger size ones, are not considered readable until about 400m away by contrast. Thus if RIs only are used then approach release from red for all the diverging routes must be delayed until the train is close enough for the driver to reliably read the alphanumeric display. The combination approach of JI+RI allows the driver to see they are diverging left or right on one of a collection of routes of very similar speed and the precise route set then becomes clear as the train gets closer to the signal. Even if a driver assumes wrong for the precise route, as all routes indicated by the particular JI are within a small speed margin of each other then there is no risk of significant overspeed.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
… In this case, a position 1 JI would be displayed for both left-turning divergences, with '1' or '2' illuminated in an associated RI to indicate the precise destination. This method is permitted in current standards I think, as long as all the divergences associated with the particular JI position are of a similar speed, which is the case at Peterborough.
I think the combination of JI and RI is in use for up trains at Reading West since the rebuild and associated resignalling.

12LDA28C

Established Member

Drivers are trained to understand the meaning of Junction Indicators and what each one (1-6) means in relation to their divergence from the main route. They don't just learn positions 1 and 4 and guess the rest. A platform number would only be visible at a much closer distance to the signal than the JI.

Status
Not open for further replies.