• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lumo Qualified Driver Talent Pool - Newcastle (04/04/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theking

What is a "customer" driver.

Is this one of those multiskilled roles where you end up working inside the train instead of travelling pass or something

omnicity4659

I was told by them that all Lumo staff including drivers and office staff are trained up as "ambassadors" so they can "help out" if need be.

centro-323

What’s the salary at lumo?
£61,500 basic. Brand new company with a new contract so obviously no special pay for Sundays etc.

What is a "customer" driver.

Is this one of those multiskilled roles where you end up working inside the train instead of travelling pass or something
No, just a daft title.

I was told by them that all Lumo staff including drivers and office staff are trained up as "ambassadors" so they can "help out" if need be.
This did not end up being the case.

Established Member
I can understand why trainees would apply to get a key, but I do wonder who would go for this on the qualified side given the relatively poor pay, pension etc. Possibly freight drivers looking to get back to passenger work?

centro-323

Quite a large variety of people have joined. Ex-freight like you say but also some from Metro, TPE or relocating from other parts of the country. If you don't mind lodge jobs then many of the shifts are quite short so may be favourable compared to some of the more intensive work at other TOCs.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I've also heard of a few people who have joined because they want express work. I think there are a handful of places that require or prefer experience of high speed driving e.g. Eurostar.

Driver068

Unsure on pension status but they are recognised by the union. There are currently a number of Drivers who have joined ASLEF

Starmill

Veteran Member
It's a contribution-based pension. i.e. you pay 5% and they pay 5% into a pot, and you can do what you like with it as long as it stays locked away until 10 years before your state pension age. When you retire you have three main options which are to buy an annuity which exchanges your money for an annual payment for the rest of your life, income drawdown where your pension stays invested and you draw some of it each year, and taking it all out as cash but obviously with a large tax charge. It's also possible to mix these options together.

Nflkrail

Ah ok, that's better then. The pension would be the thing for me that would kill it

It's a contribution-based pension. i.e. you pay 5% and they pay 5% into a pot, and you can do what you like with it as long as it stays locked away until 10 years before your state pension age.
But is it an rpmi one?

Established Member
If you don't mind lodge jobs then many of the shifts are quite short so may be favourable compared to some of the more intensive work at other TOCs.

How often are you expected to lodge, out of interest? And what kind of accommodation? It’s an odd concept for most (possibly some freight drivers have it and I know LNER Newcastle have a lodge link).

Most would regard a running turn, folllowed by lodging, followed by a running turn as a *very* long night shift.

It's a contribution-based pension. i.e. you pay 5% and they pay 5% into a pot, and you can do what you like with it as long as it stays locked away until 10 years before your state pension age. When you retire you have three main options which are to buy an annuity which exchanges your money for an annual payment for the rest of your life, income drawdown where your pension stays invested and you draw some of it each year, and taking it all out as cash but obviously with a large tax charge. It's also possible to mix these options together.

Anyone on a defined benefit pension - there are very few of them left - would need to be positively certifiable to walk away from that for a defined contribution scheme.

Driver068

I find it strange they are recruiting considering they had a full allocation of drivers and i dont envisage extra services in due course?

Dieseldriver

Quite a large variety of people have joined. Ex-freight like you say but also some from Metro, TPE or relocating from other parts of the country. If you don't mind lodge jobs then many of the shifts are quite short so may be favourable compared to some of the more intensive work at other TOCs.
Out of curiosity do you know what the turns are actually like? I’m assuming maybe Newcastle to Edinburgh, Edinburgh to London, lodge and maybe London to Edinburgh, Edinburgh to Newcastle the day after?

centro-323

A normal week would see either 1 or 2 lodges. Accommodation is chain hotels.

As for the work, there's no shifts where you'd drive the whole length of the ECML. A few where you travel pass for part of it and then drive again later. But a lot of shifts only have about 6 hours total driving time, some even less.

Established Member
A normal week would see either 1 or 2 lodges. Accommodation is chain hotels.

Okay, so let’s look at that in detail, if you don’t mind?

Which hotel chains specifically? How long is a typical lodge turn? Can you clarify what a lodge term consists of and give some examples of book on/off times?

I assume Hidden has at least been adopted(?), despite the “disruption of industry norms”, so you must either be doing one or two night shifts every week (ie work out, wait around, work back within 12 hours). Or you must be working out, doing a day “down route” and then working back the next day?

Either way, once or twice per week = almost half the week away from home and/or too knackered to function? For £60k, with no pension?

As for the work, there's no shifts where you'd drive the whole length of the ECML. A few where you travel pass for part of it and then drive again later. But a lot of shifts only have about 6 hours total driving time, some even less.

There are no train drivers anywhere who would drive the length of the ECML in a single turn. Most TOCs have shifts that are less than six hours driving, including night shifts which are grouped and come around every few weeks - not nights away from home once or twice per week!

People often get very defensive of LUMO on these threads but, I’m sorry, based on your descriptions, I can’t see how this is anything other than a terrible offering for any qualified driver.

If I’ve got anything above wrong, feel free to correct me!

I've also heard of a few people who have joined because they want express work. I think there are a handful of places that require or prefer experience of high speed driving e.g. Eurostar.

The above is incorrect. Eurostar did express that preference years ago, but that hasn’t been the case for a long time. I should know, I speak to Eurostar drivers almost every day and I know where they come from.

Last edited:

Yfg132

As already stated by others, its a way to get your key however unless you don't have much of a home life or are desperate to relocate / forced out of another a TOC or FOC for SOL incidents or misconduct it shouldn't really attract any qualifieds IMO. Still a good job not doubt about that but worst or a good bunch.

Which hotel chains specifically? How long is a typical lodge turn? Can you clarify what a lodge term consists of and give some examples of book on/off times?

I assume Hidden has at least been adopted(?), despite the “disruption of industry norms”, so you must either be doing one or two night shifts every week (ie work out, wait around, work back within 12 hours). Or you must be working out, doing a day “down route” and then working back the next day?

Either way, once or twice per week = almost half the week away from home and/or too knackered to function? For £60k, with no pension?

Decent chains, not basic hotels like Premier Inn or Travelodge. A lodge turn can be anything from 10hrs to almost 24hrs. It varies by diagram.
Hidden has been adopted of course.

A few booked jobs.
Day 1 1250 NCL-KGX off duty around 1630
Day 2 0300 to pick up unit at depot, 0545 KGX-NCL finish at 0845.

Day 1 1747 NCL-KGX off duty around 2300
Day 2 0830 to pick unit up at depot, 1045 KGX-NCL finish at 1345

Day 1 2133 NCL-KGX off duty around 0200
Day 2 1827 KGX-NCL off duty around 2130

There are day jobs too, there is a double Edinburgh with an hour in EDB, an hour back at NCL and another hour in EDB.
Kings cross and back at around 0800. Most of my duty days are less than friends at other TOCs such as LNER or TPE.

Pension is defined contribution, which is standard in most companies these days. Final salary is a thing of the past and something most companies are dying to get away from.

£61.5k salary for a new company isn't a bad start, sure it will rise down the line. It's only been operational since Oct after all.

There are no train drivers anywhere who would drive the length of the ECML in a single turn. Most TOCs have shifts that are less than six hours driving, including night shifts which are grouped and come around every few weeks - not nights away from home once or twice per week!

People often get very defensive of LUMO on these threads but, I’m sorry, based on your descriptions, I can’t see how this is anything other than a terrible offering for any qualified driver.

I find a lot of your opinions are based on what YOU want/expect from a TOC and I say that with respect, not in a disrespectful way. Different people want different things. Some people may want to be at home more, a few nights away on a lodge may be more appealing than a week of nightshifts at freight.

I wouldn't say its a terrible offering... is there room for improvement? yes, but lets be honest.. who on here at any TOC can't say that about who they work for.
People are probably very defensive because most of the people on here are constantly negative about it, speculating whats in the contract etc without actually knowing any facts.

Not true. The only people trained as Ambassadors are, Ambassadors! if anyone else is onboard passing, such as an office based manger or even a driver then you'd find that most will chip in and help, because we work together. Services are often busy and I don't think anyone would sit back and watch other colleagues grafting away while you sit down.
I notice that a lot of people point this out, the clause in the contracting saying you could under take ambassador duties but its in other TOCs contracts they can work as a guard for example, but thats not really mentioned here is it?

At the end of the day if you fancy it, apply! any questions you have can be answered at interview stage. Then if you decide its not for you.. walk away.

If you think its not for you, then browse on.. no need to pick it apart. It suits those who work there... thats why they are there.

centro-323

* I typed most of the below before RollingStock19 posted their more detailed reply, but here it is anyway *

I doubt it'll placate you much, but in the interests of giving potential applicants an honest look so they can make their own mind up, then why not ;)

once or twice per week = almost half the week away from home and/or too knackered to function?
I don't see the need to give away specific hotel chains but we're not talking bargain basement party hostels. Also, spending 1 or 2 (or often zero) nights away in a comfortable room does not leave me feeling 'too knackered to function', why would it?

There are no train drivers anywhere who would drive the length of the ECML in a single turn
My comment about that was more addressed to Dieseldriver in post #16, I should've been more clear.

I'm not saying it's the greatest job on the railway by any means, but I think you underestimate how attractive this is to those who are e.g. currently driving on the T&W Metro (or other urban routes with antisocial behaviour problems), stuck on permanent lates/nights on freight, or simply fancy a change from buzzing about in a clapped out DMU to driving modern traction on a 'prestige' route.

As already stated by others, its a way to get your key however unless you don't have much of a home life or are desperate to relocate / forced out of another a TOC or FOC for SOL incidents or misconduct it shouldn't really attract any qualifieds IMO. Still a good job not doubt about that but worst or a good bunch.
You don't need to have no home life to be fine with spending a 0-2 nights a week in a hotel. It suits some just fine, and not others, and I'd suggest any that don't like the idea don't apply for the job!

Also, anyone 'forced out' of their job due to safety of the line incidents need not apply.

Andypandy1968

On Moderation
I'm sure there are loads of drivers who wouldn't mind a couple of nights away from their other half, and presume dinner and breakfast included.

FrankOwen

Am I reading that right, off duty at KGX at 2300 and back on shift at 0830, including travel to and from the hotel, an evening meal and breakfast?

Yfg132

For those saying don't like it don't apply, that's probably why people are giving there insight in the comments with pros and cons and then those reading and enquiring can then make the decision on to apply or not.

What were your reasons behind joining LUMO if you don't mind me asking?

Am I reading that right, off duty at KGX at 2300 and back on shift at 0830, including travel to and from the hotel, an evening meal and breakfast?

Yes and No, are you thinking the travel times to hotels are on top? on and off duty times start/finish at hotels.
Its around 2300... and this is including taxi times etc.. I'm often back at the hotel around 2200ish as we often get out to the depot early, 0830 is the taxi pick up time the next morning.

I guess its all about how you chose to manage your time though, as I dont start till after 5pm I eat dinner before I leave the house, I dont live far from town so my journey to work is only 20 mins. I take a snack for the drive down. Get a decent amount of sleep in the hotel... get up for breakfast in the morning then out the door into the taxi.

7hrs work over two days, I dont think thats bad at all. A lot of people do longer shifts than that in one day. Again, each to their own though.

For those saying don't like it don't apply, that's probably why people are giving there insight in the comments with pros and cons and then those reading and enquiring can then make the decision on to apply or not.

What were your reasons behind joining LUMO if you don't mind me asking?

Yes, but then there are those who choose to just be negative about the T&Cs and the pension/salary etc when they actually know very little about it. They are the ones who should maybe be asking the questions for factual info rather than a case of "I've heard this or I've heard that"

I'm sure there are loads of drivers who wouldn't mind a couple of nights away from their other half, and presume dinner and breakfast included.

Yes, you're right. Breakfast is always included. There is an allowance for dinner. You can either eat in the hotel and its auto billed to the company or you can eat out and claim it back. Upto you.

baz962

Established Member
Yes and No, are you thinking the travel times to hotels are on top? on and off duty times start/finish at hotels.
Its around 2300... and this is including taxi times etc.. I'm often back at the hotel around 2200ish as we often get out to the depot early, 0830 is the taxi pick up time the next morning.

I guess its all about how you chose to manage your time though, as I dont start till after 5pm I eat dinner before I leave the house, I dont live far from town so my journey to work is only 20 mins. I take a snack for the drive down. Get a decent amount of sleep in the hotel... get up for breakfast in the morning then out the door into the taxi.

7hrs work over two days, I dont think thats bad at all. A lot of people do longer shifts than that in one day. Again, each to their own though.

Yes, but then there are those who choose to just be negative about the T&Cs and the pension/salary etc when they actually know very little about it. They are the ones who should maybe be asking the questions for factual info rather than a case of "I've heard this or I've heard that"

Yes, you're right. Breakfast is always included. There is an allowance for dinner. You can either eat in the hotel and its auto billed to the company or you can eat out and claim it back. Upto you.
Isn't that breaking hidden though. If you book off 23.00 you shouldn't book on until 11.00 am . Or am I reading this wrong.

Isn't that breaking hidden though. If you book off 23.00 you shouldn't book on until 11.00 am . Or am I reading this wrong.

This is only the case if its 'off lodge' because the duty day is so short. Thats the exemption.
You would never finish at Newcastle at 11pm and book on at 11am

Yfg132

In fairness I don't think it sounds a bad company to work for at all! Very short working days, let's just hope once they gain traction (excuse the pun) that they don't start pushing driving time to the maximum and breaks etc to a minimum, which In fairness is what nearly all the TOCs and FOCs do these days or aim towards to maximise productivity. I'm glad those who work there are enjoying it and long may it last!

The job isn't what it used to be, but neither is the salary I think senior railway men/women forget. Your not going to be paid north of 60k with a final salary pension and great benefits to work short days and barely drive a train like 'the old days' unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.