• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Luton Airport Express - Misleading Ads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bartsimho

I also wonder if it's an ORCATS raid on Thameslink's LAP fare receipts?
The calls there for EMR have always existed ar others have said. They might have stepped up the marketing to get more people choosing them though as they are quicker and always have been

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Merle Haggard

Established Member
I don't think it's misleading to say a service is express as far as its first calling point.

The advert specifically refers to St Pancras to Luton Airport, which as you say is non-stop.

But trains from the North are also described as 'Luton AirPort Express' (it's vinyl-ed onto every coach, so it can't be denied :D); isn't that stretching a point a bit for someone travelling from, say, Leicester? Or even Kettering?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
But trains from the North are also described as 'Luton AirPort Express' (it's vinyl-ed onto every coach, so it can't be denied :D); isn't that stretching a point a bit for someone travelling from, say, Leicester? Or even Kettering?

Do you have the same issue with seeing Gatwick Express branding at Brighton, between which and Gatwick the train will stop several times?

Or the StanEx, which is really an outersuburban semifast?

This is only an issue to real purists. The rest of us realise that it's a bit of marketing that might just get some people out of cars.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Do you have the same issue with seeing Gatwick Express branding at Brighton, between which and Gatwick the train will stop several times?

Or the StanEx, which is really an outersuburban semifast?

This is only an issue to real purists. The rest of us realise that it's a bit of marketing that might just get some people out of cars.

I take your point; but it just seems to me a bit odd that, now every journey* from Luton, Bedford or Wellingborough to cities such as Leicester, Nottingham, Sheffield or Leeds starts or ends on a service heavily branded 'Luton Airport Express'; could there not be be some alternative marketing to get people out of their cars for those journeys, too (which may even be more frequent than the annual holiday in the sun)? 'East Midlands Connect' did just that, but it now seems to have been superseded. Indeed, it's possible that a passenger from, say, Bedford to Leicester who is not familiar with how things work might have some hesitation in boarding a train which is heavily branded to suggest it's going in the opposite direction. That's of course just my opinion.

As you say, the same applies elsewhere; but it's possible that an intending London passenger at Brighton might be wary of boarding the 'Gatwick Express' - particularly if they've previously been penalty fared (or worse) for getting on the wrong train...

*Yes, I know there's 1 'EMR Inter City' a day that stops at each of these towns but that's all.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I take your point; but it just seems to me a bit odd that, now every journey* from Luton, Bedford or Wellingborough to cities such as Leicester, Nottingham, Sheffield or Leeds starts or ends on a service heavily branded 'Luton Airport Express'; could there not be be some alternative marketing to get people out of their cars for those journeys, too (which may even be more frequent than the annual holiday in the sun)? 'East Midlands Connect' did just that, but it now seems to have been superseded. Indeed, it's possible that a passenger from, say, Bedford to Leicester who is not familiar with how things work might have some hesitation in boarding a train which is heavily branded to suggest it's going in the opposite direction. That's of course just my opinion.

I think they will be able to read "London" on the front and side displays as well as on the platform displays and work out quite easily where it's going.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
On the first mockups of the "New Tube for London" stock several years ago, the destination blind read "The Future". Is that misleading on the basis that they were not specified with time-travel capability??

No because "The Future" on a destination panel is something that is obviously not intended to be taken literally, whereas "Luton Airport" on a destination panel arguably would be taken literally by most people. Rules 3.1 and 3.2 on the ASA code of conduct for misleading advertising make the distinction clear: (Link)

ASA said:
3.1 Marketing communications must not materially mislead or be likely to do so.
3.2 Obvious exaggerations ("puffery") and claims that the average consumer who sees the marketing communication is unlikely to take literally are allowed provided they do not materially mislead.

FWI I do agree that as misleading advertising goes, this is very much at the minor, unimportant, end of the scale, but I still do see the picture on the ad with the train destination as misleading, and something that EMR should've taken more care over.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hmmm debatable these days as the Greater London boundary has extended much too far. Heathrow is only just inside M25
It is not debatable whatsoever. Heathrow Airport is in the London Borough of Hillingdon and has been since 1965 when the airport was called “London Airport.”

nw1

Established Member
The term 'express' is misleading, as they are a slow/semi fast service, not the express advertised.

Is it non-stop to Luton Airport Parkway though? In which case it's express to the airport, even if it's semi-fast beyond there. The issue to my mind is more the sidelining, perhaps, of passengers to beyond the airport. It's not a dedicated airport shuttle, it's a semi-fast commuter service to Bedford, Corby et al, which happens to call at the airport.

Though to be fair that is just down to the current arrangements and the messy hodge-podge* that the Brighton line has become since 2018.

Classically, for more than 30 years, Gatwick Express always was a Gatwick shuttle (albeit an expensive one, and one which IMO would have been much more useful had it been priced regularly and stopped at Clapham Junction).

(*sorry, much preferred the old pattern, far neater, see the "irrational opinions..." thread.)

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Classically, for more than 30 years, Gatwick Express always was a Gatwick shuttle (albeit an expensive one, and one which IMO would have been much more useful had it been priced regularly and stopped at Clapham Junction).

If it stopped at Clapham Jn then it'd be less of an express than the Luton Airport Express, though? :)

BluePenguin

On Moderation
It is not debatable whatsoever. Heathrow Airport is in the London Borough of Hillingdon and has been since 1965 when the airport was called “London Airport.”
What is also not debatable is that the area was formally Middlesex until 1965, as you should aware. The airport was built long before Middlesex was encompassed by Greater London.

To date if you look at Heathrow‘s website their addresses is still Hounslow, Middlesex.

Haywain

Veteran Member
The term 'express' is misleading, as they are a slow/semi fast service, not the express advertised.
Express suggests the fastest available service, which it is. And it's a damn sight faster than Gatwick Express or Stansted Express services. Where on earth you get the idea that it's a slow or semi-fast service I don't know.

nw1

Established Member
If it stopped at Clapham Jn then it'd be less of an express than the Luton Airport Express, though? :)

True, but arguably still an express, relatively speaking given it would miss, what, about 20 stations and just stop at one. Including the rare feature of running non-stop through East Croydon. :)

BluePenguin

On Moderation
Express suggests the fastest available service, which it is. And it's a damn sight faster than Gatwick Express or Stansted Express services. Where on earth you get the idea that it's a slow or semi-fast service I don't know.
Because after Luton it continues to Corby as a semi fast service

BluePenguin

On Moderation
Why on earth would someone who wants to get to Luton quickly care about what stops it goes to after?
Who? Apparently the person who created this thread does for example. They are not happy that the train does not terminate at Luton Airport as per the photo but continues onwards to Corby

Djgr

Established Member
Who? Apparently the person who created this thread does for example. They are not happy that the train does not terminate at Luton Airport as per the photo but continues onwards to Corby
No. They are unhappy that it doesn't actually call at a station called Luton Airport. Indeed, there is no such station.

Sunil_P

In fact, so-called "postal counties" haven't been officially used by the Royal Mail since 1996...

BluePenguin

On Moderation
It's a postal anachronism. Middlesex is a ghost county that hasn't existed in nearly sixty years. Heathrow is in London, simple as that.

In fact, so-called "postal counties" haven't been officially used by the Royal Mail since 1996...
This is true, although it has not stopped us still writing postal towns on letters today as opposed to simply a door number and post code

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
OK can we ditch the discussion about Heathrow Airport and Middlesex post codes etc. This thread is about EMT and their Luton Airport alleged "misleading" advertising campaign. :)

BluePenguin

On Moderation
I can understand how it is slightly misleading to depict a photo of an EMR train that displays Luton Airport on its departure board. However, this style of advertising is very common these days.

For example, inside the terminal there are similar Thameslink adverts, with the tagline that "London is only a Thameslink away". This was very misleading as London at the time - the same as today - was not only a Thameslnk away, but a bus too. Does the DART now make this advert less bad? The jury is out on that one

There were also airport parking adverts with photo of a car next to a plane wheel with the caption "you can't park closer"

In conclusion, some small print never goes amiss for those who need absolute clarity on the product being advertised. On a serious note, for foreign people it is not obvious how to reach the city centre when landing in a new country for the first time. You could argue people should look this up ahead of time, but many people don't research very deeply, making do with a quick search of whether there is a train or not.

LCC106

Established Member
The station is called “Luton Airport Parkway”. The automatic announcement states that “This is the Luton Airport Express service (for Luton Airport Parkway?) calling at Luton Airport Parkway, Luton, Bedford, Wellingborough, Kettering and Corby. Our next station stop will be Luton Airport Parkway” or pretty similar. I haven’t read all 4 pages of the discussion - poor internet connection- but surely this isn’t misleading. The destination blinds are set for Corby or London St Pancras. Although I see it’s the destination on the advert that people are complaining about. Surely when you book a ticket it’s clear that it’s to the parkway station and change for dart services?

alistairlees

Established Member
I can understand how it is slightly misleading to depict a photo of an EMR train that displays Luton Airport on its departure board. However, this style of advertising is very common these days.

For example, inside the terminal there are similar Thameslink adverts, with the tagline that "London is only a Thameslink away". This was very misleading as London at the time - the same as today - was not only a Thameslnk away, but a bus too. Does the DART now make this advert less bad? The jury is out on that one

There were also airport parking adverts with photo of a car next to a plane wheel with the caption "you can't park closer"

In conclusion, some small print never goes amiss for those who need absolute clarity on the product being advertised. On a serious note, for foreign people it is not obvious how to reach the city centre when landing in a new country for the first time. You could argue people should look this up ahead of time, but many people don't research very deeply, making do with a quick search of whether there is a train or not.
If I remember correctly, there was a ruling (by the ASA?) many years ago that, if an advert said / depicted something that was obviously untrue, then it was ok; the ruling concerned the "Heineken refreshes the parts that other beers cannot reach". Quite obviously, this is not true, so it was allowed to stand. The same would go for an image of a car parked next to an aeroplane, advertising car parking and with the slogan "you can't park closer"; obviously that's not true. But an advert stating that "London is only a Thameslink away" (from Luton Airport) is not obviously untrue, so it would need to be true. I think that one would fall foul, if challenged. The Luton Airport Express EMR advert is not really in breach of anything though.

nw1

Established Member
If I remember correctly, there was a ruling (by the ASA?) many years ago that, if an advert said / depicted something that was obviously untrue, then it was ok; the ruling concerned the "Heineken refreshes the parts that other beers cannot reach". Quite obviously, this is not true, so it was allowed to stand. The same would go for an image of a car parked next to an aeroplane, advertising car parking and with the slogan "you can't park closer"; obviously that's not true. But an advert stating that "London is only a Thameslink away" (from Luton Airport) is not obviously untrue, so it would need to be true. I think that one would fall foul, if challenged. The Luton Airport Express EMR advert is not really in breach of anything though.

Except it implies to me that "a Thameslink" in this context means a short hop. It does not imply to me that Thameslink is the only service.

In practice I'd guess more people use Thameslink than EMT because it's more frequent. It's only one stop (St Albans) isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.