• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Luton airport to East Croydon

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeannie61

Hi,
I am landing at Luton airport and travelling to East Croydon and back again three days later. Departure time after 10:00 from Wednesday to a Saturday.
My question is whether it is cheaper to book a train ticket from Luton airport to Elstree and Borehamwood return and then use a travel card zone 1-6 to East Croydon. This would mean that they could use their travel card to get back into London after leaving their suitcases at the hotel.
Does this make sense? I would be delighted for help. There are two of us.
Jeannie
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Okay, what I mean is: Is it possible to get on a train at Luton airport with a normal off peak train ticket to Elstree & Borehamwood, stay on the train and travel from zone 6 north to zone 5 south of London without leaving the train?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

class387

Established Member
Welcome to the forum.

I can't help with pricing but I'm pretty sure you can only get an Elstree ticket if you get on of the slower, all-stations Sutton services.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
If I understand this correctly:

Wednesday - travel from Luton Airport to East Croydon, then back into London.
Saturday - return from East Croydon to Luton Airport

Presumably there'll be further 'tourist related' travel around London on the Thursday and Friday?

I'd buy:

Wednesday - Anytime Single from Luton Airport to East Croydon costing £18.40
Saturday - Super Off Peak Day Single from East Croydon to Luton Airport £16.50

The above prices assume no railcards are held.

I'd then use contactless for 'tourist related' travel after arrival at East Croydon on the Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.

One further point is to make sure you but a ticket to 'Luton Airport' rather than 'Luton Airport Parkway' as this will include the cost of the shuttle bus between the station and airport.

jeannie61

Good morning :)
The problem is that when we arrive on the Wednesday 28.09 at Luton airport, we want to travel down to East Croydon where the hotel is. After that we want to go back into London to do a bit of sightseeing. For this we would have to get a travel card for the day and I was wondering whether it would be possible to get a travel card from Elstree and Borehamwood down to East Croydon. I was wondering whether this would be cheaper and also possible because then we wouldn't have to get a travel card in east Croydon for the day.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Good morning :)
The problem is that when we arrive on the Wednesday 28.09 at Luton airport, we want to travel down to East Croydon where the hotel is. After that we want to go back into London to do a bit of sightseeing. For this we would have to get a travel card for the day and I was wondering whether it would be possible to get a travel card from Elstree and Borehamwood down to East Croydon. I was wondering whether this would be cheaper and also possible because then we wouldn't have to get a travel card in east Croydon for the day.

You could buy a Luton Airport - London Zones 1-6 Off Peak Day Travelcard on the Wednesday costing £23.70 which would cover you for any travel in Zones 1-6 on the Wednesday. This is £1 more expensive than splitting at Elstree & Borehamwood but avoids the need for the train to call there.

You'd need to buy a separate ticket to get back to the airport on the Saturday.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I would buy online in advance, and buy an Off-peak Day Travelcard from Luton Airport to Zones 1-6 for the Wednesday and the Super Off Peak version for the Saturday. Collect them on arrival (or before you fly if you are travelling from within Great Britain and they will cover all of your travel requirements for those two days. You can then use contactless for your travel on the intermediate two days. Make sure you buy tickets from Luton Airport, and not Luton Airport Parkway, as these will include the fare for the shuttle bus between the airport and the station.

Last edited:

jeannie61

You could buy a Luton Airport - London Zones 1-6 Off Peak Day Travelcard on the Wednesday costing £23.70 which would cover you for any travel in Zones 1-6 on the Wednesday.

Thank you very much for your help. Where do I get these tickets online - I mean the travel card from Luton to Zones 1-6. I have looked everywhere.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Are there any machines to collect pre booked tickets from at Luton Airport? I presume they'd need to be collected before boarding the bus to Luton Airport Parkway

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Thank you very much for your help. Where do I get these tickets online - I mean the travel card from Luton to Zones 1-6. I have looked everywhere.
It should appear automatically on most booking websites if you search for a return journey from Luton Airport to East Croydon, coming back the same day. You simply don't use the return part on the first day of your trip, nor the outward part on the last day of your trip.

jeannie61

Wow thank you ever so much for this tip:D I would never have known how to do this without all your help and especially the help from Indigo2
Thank you very much :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
... and with this ticket for 23 pounds we can go back and forwards in London with no problem? as often as we want?
Luton - East Croydon
East Croydon - London
London - East Croydon all on one day?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
... and with this ticket for 23 pounds we can go back and forwards in London with no problem? as often as we want?
Luton - East Croydon
East Croydon - London
London - East Croydon all on one day?

Yes, that ticket gives you unlimited National Rail, Underground, Trams, DLR and Buses within Zones 1-6 for that day. There are a handful of exceptions, the Heathrow Express and HS1 between St Pancras and Stratford International being the main ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.