• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Luxembourg to Belgium IC trains

peteb

Established Member
Travelled today on the very scenic line from Luxembourg city to Liège. Was surprised to find a 3 car emu unit and a fairly cramped urban seat density sort at that! Moreover hardly any seats had good views, the facing and back seats being half bulkhead.

Imagine my surprise on arrival at Brussels Midi later on, to see the direct Luxembourg via Namur service at 1430 ish also comprised of a 3 car unit with tiny first class compartment at one end.

Last year when I visited the direct Luxembourg Brussels service was loco hauled IC stock and very nice it was too.

Does anyone know if the emu is a substitute or has this route also gone over to emu traction?

Whilst our train to Liège was down to six cross border passengers, the train to Luxembourg from Brussels was rammed full and standing!!!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Travelled today on the very scenic line from Luxembourg city to Liège. Was surprised to find a 3 car emu unit and a fairly cramped urban seat density sort at that! Moreover hardly any seats had good views, the facing and back seats being half bulkhead.

Imagine my surprise on arrival at Brussels Midi later on, to see the direct Luxembourg via Namur service at 1430 ish also comprised of a 3 car unit with tiny first class compartment at one end.

Last year when I visited the direct Luxembourg Brussels service was loco hauled IC stock and very nice it was too.

Does anyone know if the emu is a substitute or has this route also gone over to emu traction?

Whilst our train to Liège was down to six cross border passengers, the train to Luxembourg from Brussels was rammed full and standing!!!!
The Liège - Luxembourg service is all booked AM08s now, these units appear on both the majority of "S" - Suburban services such as the RER Network around Brussels and 4 other Belgian cities but also certain InterCity routes.

Brussels - Luxembourg direct ICs appear to be still all LHCS, with both Class 13 and 18 and sets of either double-deck M6 sets or mixed single level I10 and I11 coaches.

The 14:33 is booked Class 13 + M6 Mon-Fri; Class 13 + I10/11 Saturdays; Class 18 + M6 Sundays presently.

rvdborgt

The Desiro units were never meant to be on IC or IR services. However, lack of planning and vision led to the current situation where these units seem to be the only viable option for Liège-Luxembourg.
AFAIK all other use on IC services are temporary and should be replaced by more suitable stock when there's finally enough M7 stock.

peteb

Established Member
Thanks for the various clarifications. I guess the 1433 AM08 unit was probably a substitute for a failed loco hauled service. There appears to have been an issue today as the 1301 Liège to Brussels loco hauled was cancelled and not even an emu was substituted.