• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Luxurious Seating On EMR Class 158

Llandudno

Established Member
I was travelling on the Liverpool - Nottingham route yesterday and boarded a class 158 unit and to my amazement found Ex First Class seating on board with a 2 + 1 seating configuration. Comfy seats, armrests and loads of legroom. The rest of the carriage looked far roomier too with more table seating.

When did these units enter service on EMR and where have they come from, I guess the only downside is a reduction in seating capacity?

Trains on time on this route for a change, four car trains very well loaded, but not excessively so as no major football matches taking place in the north west of England, Sheffield or Nottingham - and unusually not too many party animals on board as it’s just after Christmas!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wls1

This would be 158889, former SWT 158 transferred in the early 2010s, not sure of the year. Kept its SWT interior along with its first class section. None of the other 158s EMR have are like this

Llandudno

Established Member
This would be 158889, former SWT 158 transferred in the early 2010s, not sure of the year. Kept its SWT interior along with its first class section. None of the other 158s EMR have are like this
Crikey I was privileged to travel on the only EMR 158 unit with ex first class seating!

wellhouse

Not long ago, I travelled from Sheffield to Nottingham on a 3-car 170 with First Class seating, where I changed to a Class171, also with First Class seating.

Bizarrely, information at Sheffield suggested the train would split at Nottingham, as the 4-car 158s normally do

Towers

Established Member
Crikey I was privileged to travel on the only EMR 158 unit with ex first class seating!
SWT-spec 158s/159s are amongst the nicest stock on the network, Stagecoach really did understand how to properly specify train interiors back then! Happily, plenty can still be found in that configuration on the now SWR network :)

hexagon789

Veteran Member
ScotRail had one ex-SWT 158 with small First Class 2+1 area. As I recall there was even less division from Std Class than the First ScotRail spec 158s with a 2+2 First section.

I haven't encountered a unit with this configuration (I forget the number) since about 2016/7, so I presume it was either modified to all Std, as were the other ScotRail 158s with First Class, or it was transferred away.

Iskra

Established Member
Had this unit a couple of times recently and it’s such a nice way to travel.

A couple of EMR 222’s also have declassified first class sections.

Towers

Established Member
ScotRail had one ex-SWT 158 with small First Class 2+1 area. As I recall there was even less division from Std Class than the First ScotRail spec 158s with a 2+2 First section.

I haven't encountered a unit with this configuration (I forget the number) since about 2016/7, so I presume it was either modified to all Std, as were the other ScotRail 158s with First Class, or it was transferred away.
SWT spec is a glazed, coach-height partition between the two sections. Originally there was a hinged glazed door, but these were removed years ago.

Neptune

Established Member

158786/789 which went to Northern and have since been refurbished with FC section removed.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
SWT spec is a glazed, coach-height partition between the two sections. Originally there was a hinged glazed door, but these were removed years ago.
Definitely open on this unit.

Didn't they have two (786 & 789)? Since transferred to Northern and refurbished to their bright lights/ironing board seats spec.
158786/789 which went to Northern and have since been refurbished with FC section removed.
Thanks, I'd thought there was only one - so I've learnt something new!

Neptune

Established Member
Now you’re asking. It was when the Porterbrook 158’s went to SWT so maybe 2006-7ish.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Now you’re asking. It was when the Porterbrook 158’s went to SWT so maybe 2006-7ish.
I just searched the forum for the unit numbers and they’re reported as being with SR by 2008, IIRC they were binned quite early on when the 11 x 2 car 158s were first arriving, to replace the 170s. It was all about having the whole 158/159 fleet owned by one Rosco. Here’s a post reporting they’d gone, it was written in June 2007:

Jamesrob637

Established Member
My friend and ex colleague regularly had this unit. It was often the case when the EMT (not EMR back then!) was 2-car, but everybody still squashed into the 1.75 remaining Standard Class bits, not knowing that it was declassified!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
My friend and ex colleague regularly had this unit. It was often the case when the EMT (not EMR back then!) was 2-car, but everybody still squashed into the 1.75 remaining Standard Class bits, not knowing that it was declassified!
Is it still labelled with First Class branding?

trebor79

Established Member
Yep, had it a couple of times Norwich to Peterborough. Even the standard class is lovely compared tot he usual seats and interior. So comfortable.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Yep, had it a couple of times Norwich to Peterborough. Even the standard class is lovely compared tot he usual seats and interior. So comfortable.

Although 6 car 185 is preferred for me Manchester to Sheffield, 4 car 158 is very pleasant too and definitely better than 3 car 185 barring very late trains on weekdays that don't really need anything more (with 2 car 158 in last place and forgetting the Northern stopper as that doesn't serve Stockport apart from very early or very late). Especially if 889 turns up!

Towers

Established Member
The guard really should make it clear that all seating is available in that circumstance, especially on a train only two carriages long!

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Big sacrifice on legroom though, speaking as someone from 159-land. The EMR seats are firmer and a little claustrophobic, but at least one can use a laptop in an airline seat without it being wedged into your stomach. And I say that as a slim guy, too (or skinny, as @Bletchleyite charmingly put it the other day ;)).

Purple Train

Established Member
I remember it being introduced, I think it was around 2015-ish. Definitely well after EMT got the extra four 156s.