• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Magistrates Court Summons

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorriedFather

I found this forum via a Google search when looking for advice regarding my daughters case, and there seemed to be plenty of knowledgeable replies so I hope you don't mind me trying to gather your opinions.

Basically, my teenage daughter was travelling from our local train station to a larger town a few stops away to do some shopping with a friend. This is now just under 6 months ago. She purchased her ticket, and having not used the railway before, stupidly disposed of her ticket after going through the barriers and boarding her train.

She was later stopped by an RPI and was unable to produce a ticket. The RPI issued her with a penalty notice and took her name & address (but did not ask to see any photo ID to verify the information given).

The penalty notice was for over 4x the amount of the original fare, and my daughter explained her situation to the RPI. The RPI did not appear very sympathetic but said the penalty notice would be cancelled if it later transpired that a ticket had been purchased. She was not given the chance to buy another ticket despite having the cash on her.

My daughter didn't say anything to me at the time for fear of getting into trouble, and ignored the penalty notice thinking that the RPI would check with the original station and confirm a ticket was issued.

She heard nothing for 5 months and presumed the matter had been resolved internally. She has now had a letter from the Magistrates Court out of the blue, summonsing her to appear in court next month with an offence under '18 (2) Railway Byelaws 2005' for failing to hand over a ticket for inspection when required to do so by an authorised person.

Inside the envelope is a formal court summons, RPI witness statement, Prosecutions Manager's witness statement, and a copy of the original penalty notice (albeit illegible). The witness statement from the prosecutions manager states that my daughter was sent 2x written reminders prior to a summons being lodged, and that they received no reply, therefore he/she feels it was my daughters intention to travel and evade payment.

Neither of the 2x reminder letters have ever been received. We often have problems receiving mail as the post office confuse our post code and street name, which means we get other peoples mail and they get ours. I don't know whether the 2x letters were lost in the post or whether they just weren't sent at all. The witness statement does not refer to recorded delivery being used to prove receipt.

From my initial research on here, 18 (2) is a strict liability offence and my daughter has no defence whatsoever. She has not yet returned the slip indicating plea, so I feel we have 3 options (please let me know which one you would recommend):

1) Plead guilty by post, and submit written mitigation explaining daughters previous good character (no previous convictions/cautions and no history of fare dodging) and youthful naivety of the railway system, in addition to situation regarding not receiving any penalty notice reminders in the post. And then hope the Magistrates show some leniency.

2) Plead guilty and appear in person, read out a prepared statement apologising for wasting the courts time and outline the same mitigation as above. And then hope the Magistrates are more lenient having received a remorseful apology in person.

3) Contact the TOC Prosecutions Manager and request to settle the matter out of court ASAP. In the summons, the prosecution are requesting £120 contribution to costs and payment for the original fare.

Just a few questions:

1) My daughter only works 10 hours a week at minimum wage, earning no more than £65 a week. Out of that she has to pay for her mobile phone bill and £35 a week 'keep' to her mother and I. She has no savings. She has been asked to complete a means testing form sent in the summons pack in case she is given a heavy fine. The prosecution are seeking £120 costs + original fare, and I presume she will be fined on top of this, as well as a £15 victim surcharge and court courts? What kind of figure can she expect to be paying in total if she pleads guilty? Will she be allowed to pay the figure in installments given her low salary?

2) Are the TOC likely to settle out of court given they have now started proceedings in the Magistrates Court? If so, what would be a reasonable figure? Will they perhaps accept an offer of the original fare and/or the penalty fare? Or will she be expected to pay a similar amount to the final judgement in court, and if so, will the TOC accept installments?

3) Would anybody with significant experience of railway byelaw cases in the magistrates courts be willing to view the summons and witness statements via PM and see whether there are any technical errors or irregularities which could invalidate the TOC's case? I don't normally look favourably on people trying to avoid justice on a technicality but it seems only fair to pull the TOC up on minor mistakes when they did the same to a young girl who hadn't been on a train since she was 7 years old and who tried to explain the lost ticket to the RPI.

Thank you in advance for any help with this matter.

WorriedFather!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jatos

just reading

for starters though:

'The penalty notice was for over 4x the amount of the original fare, and my daughter explained her situation to the RPI. The RPI did not appear very sympathetic but said the penalty notice would be cancelled if it later transpired that a ticket had been purchased' - thats a lie!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
My advice, start gathering evidence you can to back your sdie of the story?

Are you a cooperative member per chance? If so you get free legal advice from the cooperative, i'd use it! Otherwise speak to the CAB. This is certainly an unusual one, but you need to prove your not just making stuff up, the courts will be use to all kinds of crap to get out of stuff.

Also, I would tell your not to assume in future, its a very bad idea as demonstrated! Maybe you can settle it out of court, worth a try. Wait for others advice though.

WorriedFather

just reading

for starters though:

'The penalty notice was for over 4x the amount of the original fare, and my daughter explained her situation to the RPI. The RPI did not appear very sympathetic but said the penalty notice would be cancelled if it later transpired that a ticket had been purchased' - thats a lie!

Are you a cooperative member per chance? If so you get free legal advice from the cooperative, i'd use it! Otherwise speak to the CAB. This is certainly an unusual one, but you need to prove your not just making stuff up, the courts will be use to all kinds of crap to get out of stuff.

Also, I would tell your not to assume in future, its a very bad idea as demonstrated! Maybe you can settle it out of court, worth a try. Wait for others advice though.
Sorry, not a co-op member. I do have 30 minutes free legal advice through another policy, but I highly doubt a generic solicitor will have any experience of railway byelaw regulations. Certainly no where near the experience of some posters on here.

Regardless of the words of the RPI, the fact is my daughter failed to produce a ticket when required to do so, and is therefore strictly liable for the offence. It's just how she handles it from here...

Don't worry, she's had a long lecture on not hoping for things to just disappear!

RJ

Established Member
just reading

for starters though:

A Penalty Fare of over 4x the amount of the original fare seems plausible if the fare was less than £5 or the Anytime fare is more than twice as much as the Off Peak fare.

I would recommend to the OP finding the telephone number and tentatively calling the prosecution department. As it is a case with quite a lot of relevant facts then they may suggest it is put into writing to them. I would certainly hope that they will consider accepting costs only for the time they've spent dealing with the case but given it's out of the timeframe to do a CCTV Data Access Request or do anything to prove that a ticket was purchased, unfortunately we are essentially riding on trust and goodwill from the Train Operating Company concerned. Not a good position to be in, but not one that's impossible to escape without a prosecution either.

BrownE

Which Train Operating Company was it please?

I would recommend to the OP finding the telephone number and tentatively calling the prosecution department. As it is a case with quite a lot of relevant facts then they may suggest it is put into writing to them. I would certainly hope that they will consider accepting costs only for the time they've spent dealing with the case but given it's out of the timeframe to do a CCTV Data Access Request or do anything to prove that a ticket was purchased, unfortunately we are essentially riding on trust and goodwill from the Train Operating Company concerned. Not a good position to be in, but not one that's impossible to escape without a prosecution either.
Generally, I think RJ is right (that you should tentatively call). If you explain the predicament carefully, explain you haven't received the follow up letters and that you are eager to settle the matter, I too would hope the company would accept an out of court settlement.

WorriedFather

Which Train Operating Company was it please?

Generally, I think RJ is right (that you should tentatively call). If you explain the predicament carefully, explain you haven't received the follow up letters and that you are eager to settle the matter, I too would hope the company would accept an out of court settlement.
London Midland.

Dave1987

On Moderation
Was the ticket purchased by card? Could get a card statement to prove you purchased a ticket. Unfortunately RPI's get a lot of sob stories from people deliberately trying to fare evade so I'm not surprised they were unsympathetic. I think the CCTV route is a good idea as your daughter would be on CCTV at the booking office window. MG11's are only issued in extreme cases when penalty fares have been ignored. Sorry but she has def made the situation worse by thinking it would go away. Out of court settlement is your best option I would say.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I would recommend you send a letter setting out what happened from your daughters point of view and apologising for the time and trouble that this matter has caused. I would ask for their sympathetic consideration in resolving this matter, and offer to pay a reasonable amount to cover their administrative costs, the original amount demanded, and their time spent chasing the matter up.

If there is any written evidence of the ticket purchase, I would include that too, although I suspect that given the length of time that this matter has taken, the amount of the original PF may not have a great impact on the amount that the TOC feel is reasonable, but you never know.

I would not attempt to contact them by phone. Even if you manage to get through to the right department, and the individual handling the case, I very much doubt they will make any sort of decision based on a telephone conversation.

Oh, and I assume you are already communicating with Royal Mail about your problems with deliveries?

W230

Established Member
I think it incumbent on the railway to prove they have sent the letters, if they can't I would think you would have a strong case to settle out of court.
I think this is referring to the penalty fare though, not the summons, which was received. It is true that there should be a record of a summons being sent out.

The offence is complete and as it is a strict liability offence I can't see any other sensible options than to try and settle out of court. Certainly hoping to get the prosecution thrown out on a technicality because of poor paperwork is more than a little risky in my opinion-you should see some of the paperwork that the magistrates receives from those working on behalf of the crown!

island

Veteran Member
I don't think there is any defence relating to paperwork not being received, or indeed any other reason at all. The TOC is under no obligation to send her anything other than the summons. I know it sounds harsh but if she had paid her Penalty Fare of £20 (or whatever it was at the time) then that would have been the end of it.

As for now, the offence is not recordable so it is unlikely that it would show up on a CRB if she pleads guilty. It could be worth offering London Midland a payment to take the matter no further but I think that an offer at this late stage would probably need to start around £200.

It is very lucky she has not been charged under the Regulation of Railways Act, as that would be a recordable offence.

WorriedFather

Thanks for all the advice.

Are the prosecution departments open Mon-Fri 9-5pm? Or do they open on Saturday/Sunday too?

Status
Not open for further replies.