• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mail by Rail over the ECML

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ze Random One

I'm intrigued by the following pair of trains:
1M78 Low Fell Royal Mail - Willesden PRDC
1E04 Willesden PRDC - Low Fell Royal Mail
These are permanent paths for the duration of the current timetable.

Now I didn't think that Royal Mail ran services over the ECML any more, except around Christmas and during exceptional events (WCML closure, extreme weather ...), however it would appear that they have the path booked for the whole year.

Does anyone know whether this path is only used ad-hoc as needed, or if this is part of an intention to move Tyneside's mail regularly by rail?

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
It's a new service - an expansion of the existing mail train arrangements. In other words, the return of mail to the ECML. :)

sprinterguy

Established Member
Do we have any times for these services? And have they started yet, and if they haven't, then does anyone know when they are due to commence?

I remember when the Low Fell - Willesden postal service that departed just after 2pm used to be a consistent part of a tyipcal day at Tyne Yard, with a pair of 325s stabled there beforehand ready to work the service. It'll be good to see the return of regular mail services to the ECML. :D (Although of course if this service runs overnight then that considerably reduces the opportunity to see it!)

Freightmaster

Established Member
I'm intrigued by the following pair of trains:
1M78 Low Fell Royal Mail - Willesden PRDC
1E04 Willesden PRDC - Low Fell Royal Mail
These are permanent paths for the duration of the current timetable.
...and that's all they are, I'm afraid - paths.

Now I didn't think that Royal Mail ran services over the ECML any more, except around Christmas...
They don't even run at Christmas - there are barely enough 325s
available to cover the WCML extras, never mind anything else!!

MARK

DarloRich

Veteran Member
i didnt think they were running more is the pity - BUT i will be in York tonight so i will keep a look out :)

Last edited:

Established Member
Those two paths have been in the system for a very long time now and, to the best of my knowledge, have never run other than the very odd working since mail trains were re-started under GBRf. Likewise the rumours regarding mail trains returning to the ECML have also been around a long time, even before DB took over and were still circulating recently though I have not yet heard anything more concrete than mere rumours.

Status
Not open for further replies.