• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Main revenue flows on the WCML

Status
Not open for further replies.

deltic

Established Member
As part of Network Rail's West Coast South Strategic Advice https://t.co/cQgSc66RrU a large amount of revenue data has been published which is highly unusual, albeit it relates to annual revenue pre-covid. However, it gives an excellent picture of the main markets and the dominance of London to Manchester. The table shows the biggest London markets and a selection on non-London ones. Appendix B also shows data on how many people are travelling between some of the markets as well.

£m - annual pre-covid
LondonManchester204
LondonBirmingham96
LondonLiverpool84
LondonMilton Keynes52
LondonGlasgow48
LondonPreston38
LondonBirmingham Int37
LondonCoventry35
LondonChester28
LondonNorthampton25
LondonWatford J23
LondonRugby21
LondonWilmslow20
LondonStoke19
BirminghamManchester11
CoventryBirmingham9
BirminghamLiverpool4
BirminghamGlasgow4
BirminghamEdinburgh4

Mod Note: Subsequent to this post being made Appendix B (which contained the revenue information) was removed from the document. A copy of of Appendix B however is attached to this post for ease of reference in the future.

Attachments

• Appendix B.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 33
Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Planner

Veteran Member
Reinforces the second Liverpool somewhat, but still shows that Cov corridor and Manchester are the money makers.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
BirminghamManchester11
CoventryBirmingham9
BirminghamLiverpool4
These are very illuminating when it comes to forum threads which query why Liverpool isn't on the XC network, why it is difficult to justify longer trains on XC, and how it is probably worth XC's while continuing to carry passengers between Coventry and Birmingham.

I guess there is a question about whether revenue between Birmingham and Manchester was suppressed by the lack of capacity, but to only be 5% of the revenue between London and Manchester is somewhat telling.

Magdalia

Established Member
Thanks for sharing.

There are some interesting omissions: what about London to/from Wolverhampton, Stafford, Crewe and Runcorn?

Parjon

Reinforces the second Liverpool somewhat, but still shows that Cov corridor and Manchester are the money makers.
"Somewhat"?

The city produces nearly half the revenue of Manchester with less than a third of the services.

By my fag packet calculations, that also makes the line exceptionally more profitable.

This data clearly and unambiguously blows away a lot of guff that's been put out about Liverpool over the years, namely in order to justify its shafting by HS2.

The Planner

Veteran Member
"Somewhat"?

The city produces nearly half the revenue of Manchester with less than a third of the services.

By my fag packet calculations, that also makes the line exceptionally more profitable.

This data clearly and unambiguously blows away a lot of guff that's been put out about Liverpool over the years, namely in order to justify its shafting by HS2.
Doesn't mean doubling the service doubles the revenue though? Even if you divided 204 by 3tph to get 68, I wouldnt necessarily call the 16 million difference exceptional.

deltic

Established Member
Thanks for sharing.

There are some interesting omissions: what about London to/from Wolverhampton, Stafford, Crewe and Runcorn?
some can be found in the report - Wolverhampton is £14m, Stafford £15m, - Crewe and Runcorn are not

station_road

"Somewhat"?

Add Stoke and Wilmslow and the figure for the Manchester trains is roughly three times that of Liverpool - none of the stops in the Liverpool service are in the top revnue drivers, but I doubt that Runcorn contributes more than Stockport and Macclesfield added together.

Peterthegreat

Established Member
Does the table include all WCML flows with a value of over £4m or is it just a selection? If the former I find it hard to believe Chester generates more than 7 times the revenue of Wolverhampton, Warrington, Wigan, Lancaster or Carlisle.

deltic

Established Member
Does the table include all WCML flows with a value of over £4m or is it just a selection? If the former I find it hard to believe Chester generates more than 7 times the revenue of Wolverhampton, Warrington, Wigan, Lancaster or Carlisle.
The data includes Wolverhampton £14m but not the other destinations

Clarence Yard

Established Member
London-Chester seems high in comparison with some of the others...

It is a good earner. For those who want to know, it is about as half as much again as Wigan and Lancaster and about twice as much as Carlisle.

I am very surprised that the figures in the report have been made publicly available. The DfT usually hate this - I wonder if someone at NR might be getting a call in the next few hours.

deltic

Established Member

I am very surprised that the figures in the report have been made publicly available. The DfT usually hate this - I wonder if someone at NR might be getting a call in the next few hours.
So am I, some of us have been pushing for years for greater transparency and have always been pushed back on the grounds its all commercially confidential - now Network Rail goes and publishes data that isn't actually its to release.

A S Leib

I'm slightly surprised by how low EUS - WFJ is compared to some of the others considering usage numbers (I think in 2019 only Euston, Birmingham New Street, Manchester Piccadilly and Glasgow Central had more passengers than Watford Junction on the WCML), but I suppose that a) a lot higher proportion of passengers at Watford Junction are making short journeys - easier with 4+ tph to Hemel, Harrow, Willesden etc. compared to one or two local services per hour via Birmingham International or Macclesfield and b) cheaper fares, and presumably fewer people bothering with first class for fifteen minutes.

Gwr12345

I'm slightly surprised by how low EUS - WFJ is compared to some of the others considering usage numbers (I think in 2019 only Euston, Birmingham New Street, Manchester Piccadilly and Glasgow Central had more passengers than Watford Junction on the WCML), but I suppose that a) a lot higher proportion of passengers at Watford Junction are making short journeys - easier with 4+ tph to Hemel, Harrow, Willesden etc. compared to one or two local services per hour via Birmingham International or Macclesfield and b) cheaper fares, and presumably fewer people bothering with first class for fifteen minutes.
Avanti West Coast are Set down and pick up only at Watford junction, trains between them are either by London Northwestern or the Overground.

dk1

Veteran Member

Very much so. Many thought Glasgow should be the priority but Virgin & BR knew their prime market very well indeed.

Djgr

Established Member
"Somewhat"?

It is difficult to comment on profits without having sight of the costs.

Manchester has three times the revenue of Liverpool but with three times as many trains and three times as many operating costs?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Many thought Glasgow should be the priority but Virgin & BR knew their prime market very well indeed.
If that is true it seems a little odd that BR used to only run 1tph to Manchester (with some extras in the peak).

Parjon

It is difficult to comment on profits without having sight of the costs.

Manchester has three times the revenue of Liverpool but with three times as many trains and three times as many operating costs?
It must be more than three times the cost, when you consider the staffing requirements involved in that many trains moving around. Also re profitability, it's worth noting that a good deal of passengers using this service will be related to BBC and other quasi-government/government business. In other words, public money paying the fares. One benefit of being sidelined for twenty years is that we can say definitively, there is little public money paying for train fares to Liverpool...

The move from 1tph to 3tph for Manchester wasn't so much a "market" decision but a government one. It has no doubt stimulated demand, just as a paltry 1tph in similar circumstances suppresses.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
It's pre-Covid. I travelled on Avanti trains then, when it was not unusual for a 9-car to be full and standing in the first (=2 1/2 coaches). Nowadays both 9 and 11 have only j & K (= 1 1/2) and I've always had a choice of (unreserved) seat and sometimes been lonely!

What I suggest that means is that the 'business travel' point to points (Euston to Birmingham/Manchester/Liverpool) will have lost a lot of the '300 quid to Manchester' (or equivalent) customers and presumably suffered a big drop in revenue as a result, whereas the flows from London to stations such as Northampton, Wolverhampton, Stafford, and North of Weaver Junction will perhaps have not seen the same decline, because they have never had many expense account first class business travellers. That's just my anecdotal opinion - it would be interesting to see the current figures, or indeed any other opinions.

dk1

Veteran Member
If that is true it seems a little odd that BR used to only run 1tph to Manchester (with some extras in the peak).

They upped the game on that with Intercity running a half-hourly service with more in the peaks. Manchester has absolutely bloomed in the last 20 years. Makes sense for the railway to chase the money & it’s paid off handsomely.

Rail Ranger

Birmingham to London is of course also served by Chiltern and LNW and Liverpool-Euston can be done with LNW whereas there is no rail competition between Manchester and London. It is not clear if the quoted figures are just Avanti revenue.

dk1

Veteran Member
Birmingham to London is of course also served by Chiltern and LNW and Liverpool-Euston can be done with LNW whereas there is no rail competition between Manchester and London.

I think Chilterns influence has wained immensely in the last few years. All that investment & competition they shew seems to have gone to the dogs. DfT I’d imagine has no interest in them showing enthusiasm for a market that competes with another rail industry concession.

Wilmslow is interesting - just above Stoke. Prior to the VHF timetable there was only a token London service and at one point was threatened with complete withdrawal. A very dramatic change - it would be interesting to see the figure for Macclesfield.

deltic

Established Member
Birmingham to London is of course also served by Chiltern and LNW and Liverpool-Euston can be done with LNW whereas there is no rail competition between Manchester and London. It is not clear if the quoted figures are just Avanti revenue.
The figures are for London BR to Birmingham BR ie they cover all operators

rapmastaj

The extreme dominance of London flows, compared to the revenue for travel between England's 2nd and 3rd largest cities, shows how depressingly skewed this country's economic geography is. Although post-pandemic this may have reduced slightly, with the loss of business travellers.

Do these data include journeys involving changes, or would London-Manchester for example strictly represent tickets for Euston to Manchester Picadilly only?

dk1

Veteran Member
Wilmslow is interesting - just above Stoke. Prior to the VHF timetable there was only a token London service and at one point was threatened with complete withdrawal. A very dramatic change - it would be interesting to see the figure for Macclesfield.

From what I recall Wilmslow like much of Cheshire had a very healthy proportion of above average earners & wealthy residents. This was deemed as a likelihood for first class revenue something which appeared to pay off during off peak as well as previously targeted peak times.

Status
Not open for further replies.