• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mainline driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mashud121

Anyone here work for greater anglia in liverpool street was looking for some info if you can help.Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WrongRoad

Don’t forget the railway pay is on a 4 week cycle so you get paid 13 times per year not 12. So £2700-£2800 take home pay over 13 would equate to about another £230 per month if being paid 12 times per year. So you are looking at about £3000 take home in reality.

ZNB12

Liverpool Street West depot, don't sign on before 05.00 got a few night jobs. Sign Liverpool Street to Hereford East, Cambridge, Stansted, Bishop's Stortford to Stratford via Lea bridge and later on Ilford depot. 30 link roster. Average 4 day week. Traction 379 &. 317. New rolling stock to come in next few years.

ZNB12

30 week roster. So you can plan your life around the Rest Days and plan when to take annual leave.

Mashud121

Ok so is the annual leave not built in to the roster can you request when you want to take

ZNB12

Annual leave not built into roster. Don't know how it works really as not my depot.

driver9000

Established Member
Ok so is the annual leave not built in to the roster can you request when you want to take

I don't work for Greater Anglia but annual leave is not normally built into the link instead leave is normally allocated on a rolling block basis to ensure everyone eventually gets each period of leave off. You can swap your leave blocks with other Drivers as you wish to suit your own needs. When you're on leave your work will be covered by Spare turns in the link. You will have a number of floating days to take as you wish too.

sweatybeaver

Definitely mate,i will be at ilford depot on the 10th of october as part of my induction
Hi Alessio,

How did you get on starting? I'm currently looking at applying to be a trainee depot driver with GA but hoping you're able to progress to a mainline driver over time.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

ZNB12

Hi Alessio,

How did you get on starting? I'm currently looking at applying to be a trainee depot driver with GA but hoping you're able to progress to a mainline driver over time.

Thanks
No mainline progression at GA. Would have to apply for the trainee place when advertising.

Alessio

Hi Alessio,

Thanks

Hey mate all good here,still training and yes there isn't natural progression anymore but from what i've heard when a job comes up the company is likely to consider and prefer an internal application rather than someone from the street also been told turn over is likely to be 1 to 2 years at ilford and 2 to 4 years at southend.
When you apply remember safety is paramount when you answer their scenarios

safety "beats" company (example if the manager asks you to do favour,but you are tired and already worked 13 hours bla bla bla,you politely tell him that you can not do it)

Company "beats" customers (if a customer asks you to help him but this would affect the important meeting you have with your manager in 5 minutes,then you gently tell the customer to find another solution)

This will make sense when you read the scenarios

Hope this helps

sweatybeaver

Hey mate all good here,still training and yes there isn't natural progression anymore but from what i've heard when a job comes up the company is likely to consider and prefer an internal application rather than someone from the street also been told turn over is likely to be 1 to 2 years at ilford and 2 to 4 years at southend.
When you apply remember safety is paramount when you answer their scenarios

safety "beats" company (example if the manager asks you to do favour,but you are tired and already worked 13 hours bla bla bla,you politely tell him that you can not do it)

Company "beats" customers (if a customer asks you to help him but this would affect the important meeting you have with your manager in 5 minutes,then you gently tell the customer to find another solution)

This will make sense when you read the scenarios

Hope this helps
Thanks for the reply mate.

When you mention turn over is that as in a chance to go up to being a mainline driver?

I currently work in the emergency services but becoming a train driver really appeals to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.