• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Major Disruption At London Euston (1st - 3rd Dec 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lrd

Established Member
Train cancelled at Tring, awaiting replacement buses to take us South...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class315

I know that NR where experiencing difficulty in re-energising the OHL’s following the overnight possession which resulted in all lines in and out of London euston blocked, as of 06:45 however the slow lines where re-energised.

There was talks of trains coasting through the affected area, not to sure whether that’ll be the case at present. Hopefully the point work at Watford can be restored sooner rather than later.

Lrd

Established Member
Ended up on a bus from Tring direct to Euston and ended up getting there 5 mins after the train behind got there

a_c_skinner

Established Member
Meanwhile, in The North, a TPE has had rather a job getting through the Carnforth area, also due to OHLE difficulties - that train is 1S98 2000 Manchester Airport - Edinburgh, now 108 minutes late, having had to get assistance from another train. This time the train was quite possibly at fault but fortunately the wires were not brought down.

Yes, Mrs S's journey hit that too. She was just over an hour late in Manchester, good trip to Preston on the shortened Blackpool service, neat connection to a Barrow train (Arnside suits us as well as Oxenholme) then 70mins late out of Lancaster. I had seen 1Z99 going Preston to Carnforth North Junction but didn't have the gumption to drive to Lancaster instantly.

Silver Cobra

I got caught up in the disruption at Euston this morning. Travelling on the 0843 service to Edinburgh as far as Birmingham New Street, which departed around 20 mins late. Seems they are cancelling one Manchester and one Birmingham VTWC service and around half of the LM services per hour in order to keep things going. The mad dash by people for the 0823 New Street service felt much like the evening peak scrum :P

The 0843 service ran along the slows up to just north of Hemel Hempstead before transferring back to the fasts, so that's a fair distance on the slows to get around the damaged OHLE section.

Interestingly, at Milton Keynes Central, there was an empty Pendolino parked up on platform 5, with a class 57 just in front of it. Anyone know what this was? I'm guessing it was yesterday's stricken unit, but of so I'm surprised this wasn't taken into Wembley depot.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
That pattern of cancellations is the "standard" 2 track contingency timetable which is implemented whenever the full 4 tracks aren't available throughout south of MKC. It's fairly well practiced and does work.

tsr

Established Member
VTWC delays are gradually reducing, but trains are being terminated short as far away as Preston in order to reduce congestion.

The length of the 5M11 Caledonian Sleeper ECS has also caused a few issues by overhanging more than its fair share of the Euston station throat...

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Interestingly, at Milton Keynes Central, there was an empty Pendolino parked up on platform 5, with a class 57 just in front of it. Anyone know what this was? I'm guessing it was yesterday's stricken unit, but of so I'm surprised this wasn't taken into Wembley depot.

Yes that's 5G29 the stricken train from last night. Quite why its still there is anybody's guess.

TimboM

Established Member
VTWC delays are gradually reducing, but trains are being terminated short as far away as Preston in order to reduce congestion.

The length of the 5M11 Caledonian Sleeper ECS has also caused a few issues by overhanging more than its fair share of the Euston station throat...
I thought 5M11 was going to cause some issues when I saw last night no coach had been knocked off. 2x 92s + 1x 90 + Load 16 doesn't really fit too well in P15 I don't think...!

SpacePhoenix

Established Member

Don't know is this is anything to do with that Pendolino:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/177811.aspx
Damage to the overhead electric wires between East Croydon and Milton Keynes Central some lines are blocked. Train services running through these stations may be cancelled or suspended. Disruption is expected until the end of the day.

Customer Advice:

If you are travelling between East Croydon and Milton Keynes Central today in either direction, you are advised that services to and from Milton Keynes have been suspended, and some services between East Croydon and Watford Junction have been altered/cancelled due to a damaged overhead electrical wire at Wembley Central.

Overhead electrical wires are used to transmit electrical energy to our trains, similar to the third.

Network Rail engineers have been working throughout the night utilising all resources available to repair the defective wire. Work is also expected to continue throughout the day, and progress updates will be provided to you once received from the Network Rail Infrastructure Team.

To assist you with your journey, the following ticket acceptance has been arranged for you today:

London Overground between Clapham Junction and Watford Junction
London Underground between London Victoria, London Euston and Wembley
London Midland between London Euston and Milton Keynes Central
Thameslink from East Croydon and Bedford, changing at Bedford for London Midland services to Bletchley.

This incident also affects London Overground, Virgin Trains and London Midland as well as Southern, resulting in a reduced service on some of their lines. We advise that you check prior to travel and allow plenty of time for your journey today for services on the West London route.

Alan McMillan

Not sure being terminated short is to do with congestion, more I think to do with staff positioning.

9M51 terminated Preston but forward as 5M51 to Wolverhampton. Expect it will form additional 11:45 9T51 in path of 9M51 from there.

1S37 (06:05 ex Euston) started Preston but formed off 5S37 ECS from Rugby which itself was off 5A12 Longsight to Euston terminating short due to other issues on WCML. This would have been without on board staff. 1S37 can start from Preston picking up its staff from there.

oversteer

LM saying not to travel Sunday - apparently emergency works necessitating closure until midday

E: having said that National Rail saying different, so who knows

Last edited:

Essexman

Established Member
Virgin's website saying - Disruption on Sunday morning: No Virgin Trains services in or out of London Euston will operate on Sunday morning due to repairs taking place to damaged overhead power lines. If you are able to put off travel until the afternoon or following morning, your ticket will be accepted or a full refund will be offered at point of purchase. Services are expected to resume in the afternoon but please check before you travel to ensure the line has reopened. We’re sorry for the disruption to your journey.

I'm travelling to Manchester in the morning. Will Chiltern cope if no Virgin trains at all? It doesn't say that tickets are valid on Virgin East Coast but would it be reasonable to try to go via Leeds?

uww11x

Virgin's website saying - Disruption on Sunday morning: No Virgin Trains services in or out of London Euston will operate on Sunday morning due to repairs taking place to damaged overhead power lines. If you are able to put off travel until the afternoon or following morning, your ticket will be accepted or a full refund will be offered at point of purchase. Services are expected to resume in the afternoon but please check before you travel to ensure the line has reopened. We’re sorry for the disruption to your journey.

I'm travelling to Manchester in the morning. Will Chiltern cope if no Virgin trains at all? It doesn't say that tickets are valid on Virgin East Coast but would it be reasonable to try to go via Leeds?

VTWC haven't mentioned VTEC on the acceptance statement.

Last edited:

uww11x

Ticket Acceptance.

London Midland are conveying passengers via any reasonable route until further notice.
Chiltern Railways are conveying passengers via any reasonable route until further notice.
Northern are conveying passengers via any reasonable route until further notice. Arrangements have been made for Virgin Trains rail tickets to be accepted for these journeys.
Transpennine Express are conveying passengers between Wigan North Western and Edinburgh in both directions until further notice. Arrangements have been made for Virgin Trains rail tickets to be accepted for these journeys.
Transpennine Express are conveying passengers between Wigan North Western and Glasgow Central in both directions until further notice. Arrangements have been made for Virgin Trains rail tickets to be accepted for these journeys.
Arriva Wales are conveying passengers between Crewe and Chester in both directions until further notice. Arrangements have been made for Virgin Trains rail tickets to be accepted for these journeys.

Essexman

Established Member
East Coast diverted between Peterborough & Doncaster - almost 4 hours to Leeds!

There are going to be a lot of people who don't know about the closure and will turn up at Euston tomorrow morning. Will they just be directed to Marylebone?

bonzawe

VTWC haven't mentioned VTEC on the acceptance statement.
I believe the issue is the ECML is closed via Grantham with diversions via Lincoln today and tomorrow until lunchtime. Means no spare capacity for VTWC passengers. Previous weeks there has been severe overcrowding

Essexman

Established Member
Given Chiltern will struggle to cope the best way to Manchester from London tomorrow morning seems to be via Sheffield. But that's not shown as ticket acceptance. Given Euston is closed that doesn't seem reasonable.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
The picture in the article shows some of the downed wires:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/8...ndon-midland-virgin-trains-latest-information
London Euston trains: London Midland and Virgin trains have been cancelled
One traveller warned of “overcrowding” and a “stampede” at one of the capital’s busiest railway stations.

All services to and from the mainline station will be cancelled on Sunday morning until at least midday and many trains on Saturday evening were also suspended or delayed.

Network rail said they are carrying out emergency repairs on the line after 500 metres of overhead wires were damaged in Wembley.

Engineers have been on the site trying to fix the wires, which provide power to trains, sine the problem started at 3.30pm on Friday.

Network rail said they are carrying out emergency repairs after overhead wires were damaged
Been sat at Berkhamsted for an hour now. Cancellation after cancellation!

Stacey Joanee Marie tweeted: “London I love you, but that overcrowding and stampede at Euston station is something I will never ever wish to have to do permanently.”

All train lines including Virgin trains, London Midland and London Overground are affected.

On Saturday evening, several London Midland services were delayed or cancelled because of the emergency repairs.

All train lines including Virgin trains, London Midland and London Overground are affected
Virgin services between Euston and Watford Junction were also cancelled.

No train services to or from London Euston will run on Sunday until at least midday, Network Rail said.

“To complete this significant job, all lines out of London Euston will have to be closed Sunday morning,” Network Rail said.

“Passengers travelling on the West Coast main line in and out of Euston will be affected by delays as the timetable is amended.”

London Euston: Many trains this evening have already been suspended or delayed
Virgin Trains wrote in a tweet: “Due to repairs needing to take place to the overhead wires between Watford and London Euston, there will be no trains running in or out of London Euston tomorrow until at least midday.....”

gavin

Radio has just said no trains in or out of Euston tomorrow morning passengers warned of major disruption

gavin

Crystal Palace team were caught up in the delays as well heading up to Birmingham for today's game at West Brom not 100% sure but I think they were on the VT which brought the wires down

Status
Not open for further replies.