• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Major Disruption At Nottingham Due To Fire (12/01)

Status
Not open for further replies.

M60lad

Do we know yet how long the damaged parts of the Station are going to be out of action and when rebuilding works are going to start to repair the damage caused by the fire?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chris M

I would expect that timeline for rebuilding isn't yet known.
First the police will have to release the site, then any insurers will have to do their thing (this can take a surprisingly long time) and quotes obtained, when a contractor is selected then materials will have to be obtained, etc. If any of the works will need to be done next to or over the railway then railway-trained staff will be required and there isn't an infinite supply of them, and any closures of the railway or parts of the station needed will need to be planned in advance.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

duffield

Established Member
Opened about a month ago in the old police cabin (I think) - at the junction of the Southern Relief Road and Carrington Street

beerheadz.jpg

The tiny green and white building adjacent to the (currently closed) side entrance.
Ah, I see. I usually approach the station from the front or the station street side, that explains why I haven't seen this pub.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Looking up the P7 main stairs from a passing train, there is significant daylight visible where the ceiling should be on the boarded-off part of the distributor bridge, around the top of those stairs.

Some more activity at Costa this lunchtime, though they hadn't re-opened. Some of the platform displays are working. Otherwise no change from my report a few posts back.

kevjs

The entrance in front of Beerheadz now appears to be open. From outside the station it also appears the new entrance (near the kiss and ride point) has also been reopened with boards blocking access to the toilets.

kevjs

As of this lunchtime
  • Booking office is now open
  • Costa is now open, but accepting cash only
  • Other retail units on the concourse remain closed
  • Eastern Concourse is now open - hoardings around the loos and the escalators remain closed.
  • Beerheadz entrance and Queen's Drive entrance are open, as is direct access to/from the car park
  • Generators on Carrington Street have gone, but area remains closed off
  • The doors onto Carrington Street are closed off - only the station Street and Beerheadz entrances open on the old taxi area.

LewFinnis

As of this lunchtime
  • Booking office is now open
  • Eastern Concourse is now open - hoardings around the loos and the escalators remain closed.
  • Beerheadz entrance and Queen's Drive entrance are open, as is direct access to/from the car park
  • Generators on Carrington Street have gone, but area remains closed off
  • The doors onto Carrington Street are closed off - only the station Street and Beerheadz entrances open on the old taxi area.
Is there full access to and from the Tram stops and is the lift there working?

kevjs

Is there full access to and from the Tram stops and is the lift there working?
Tram Stop access from the southern/eastern concourse - steps yes, escalator no.

Sorry, didn't notice the status of the lift.

LewFinnis

Tram Stop access from the southern/eastern concourse - steps yes, escalator no.

Sorry, didn't notice the status of the lift.
Thanks. I hope the lift is working when I get there next Friday - I don't fancy lugging my case up the stairs!

Steveman

kevjs

LOL - looks like they spotted their mistake now...
I do wish they would pay attention... The other day they had an article about Argos closing but no idea when. The article had a picture showing the closing date... Guess the staff find it as hard to read there articles as us members of the public do with all the adds and videos... Grrr. Does not instil confidence in their publication.

The Nottingham Post is becoming a waste of time. Circulation in last half of 2011 was 35,361. Yesterdays print run (biggest of the week) was 15,119. Obviously with a drop in sales like that there has been serious cutbacks in staffing, hence so little news and so many errors. My classic for locals was an event at 'Ivy Vale'. Correctly spelt 'Highbury Vale'! ;)

ashworth

Established Member
The Nottingham Post is becoming a waste of time. Circulation in last half of 2011 was 35,361. Yesterdays print run (biggest of the week) was 15,119. Obviously with a drop in sales like that there has been serious cutbacks in staffing, hence so little news and so many errors.

Even as recently as 2003, when it was still called the Nottingham Evening Post, it had a circulation of over 70,000. I’ve been trying to find some circulation figures from 1970’s and 1980’s when it must have had a huge circulation. Many Nottinghamshire newsagents had paperboys doing after school deliveries of the evening paper.

Trainfan344

Established Member
Used the stations today, can smell smoke at the top of the stairs from p4/5/6, ticket barriers were open, co-op still cash only, they cantc fidlottery ticket either. No announcements being made felt weird.

tsr

Established Member
Used the stations today, can smell smoke at the top of the stairs from p4/5/6, ticket barriers were open, co-op still cash only, they cantc fidlottery ticket either. No announcements being made felt weird.

I used the station a couple of times last weekend. Totally concur about the weird lack of announcements! I did smell smoke faintly but didn't think it was too bad. I was very impressed with the nice colourful hoardings around the fire damage, which explained the problems very well.

The Co-Op was definitely taking cards (I used one myself!) so maybe it's an intermittent problem. A couple of people ahead of me in the queue asked, and I heard the member of staff say that it was working for the time being.

MCSHF007

It's a complete miracle that the station hasn't been further damaged / destroyed by a terrorist atrocity if there is no facility to broadcast the constant "See it, Say it, Sorted" reminders..

Trainfan344

Established Member
I used the station a couple of times last weekend. Totally concur about the weird lack of announcements! I did smell smoke faintly but didn't think it was too bad. I was very impressed with the nice colourful hoardings around the fire damage, which explained the problems very well.

The Co-Op was definitely taking cards (I used one myself!) so maybe it's an intermittent problem. A couple of people ahead of me in the queue asked, and I heard the member of staff say that it was working for the time being.

If you stood right by the hoardings to where the fire was then you could smell it, but that's to be expected. Wasn't expecting Platform 7 to be open so soon.

xc170

Have any statements been released about the true scale of the damage, cost to repair, timespan etc yet?

kevjs

As of today
  • No sign of Costa being Cash Only
  • Gourmet now open, but Upper Crust remains closed
  • Escalator from taxi rank to concourse now operating, but the one from the concourse to tram remains closed. Lift from Taxi Rank to Concourse to Tram appeared to be operational.
  • Carrington Street entrances appeared open.
  • Live departure boards above the dispersal bridge operational, but not in the porte-cochère where they were just displaying eastmidlandstrains.co.uk

Crossover

Established Member
I saw photos the other day posted on Facebook of a part of the station fairly stripped back in the fire damaged area and was advised the ladies toilets where the fire started is now back to bare breeze block, so work is evidently well underway

xc170

I saw photos the other day posted on Facebook of a part of the station fairly stripped back in the fire damaged area and was advised the ladies toilets where the fire started is now back to bare breeze block, so work is evidently well underway

Got any links to these?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
As of today
  • No sign of Costa being Cash Only
  • Gourmet now open, but Upper Crust remains closed
  • Escalator from taxi rank to concourse now operating, but the one from the concourse to tram remains closed. Lift from Taxi Rank to Concourse to Tram appeared to be operational.
  • Carrington Street entrances appeared open.
  • Live departure boards above the dispersal bridge operational, but not in the porte-cochère where they were just displaying eastmidlandstrains.co.uk
There is at least one temporary departure screen in the port-cochere area so I assume they expect the permanent ones to be out for some time. Which seems a little strange as they are obviously getting power and the temporary one a few metres away is getting data.

The Carrington Street doors seem a little random, may be open (literally and letting a howling gale through the station), working automatically or closed and impassable. Very frustrating when hurrying for a bus and the most convenient door and sometimes also the second most convenient door are not in use.

Status
Not open for further replies.