• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Major Disruption on ECML - Vandalism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Furrball

A broken down train caused by vandalism is disrupting services near Peterborough.
Because of this, there are delays of up to 90 minutes between Peterborough and Stevenage. These delays will continue until further notice.
This is mainly affecting services travelling towards London Kings Cross.
Ticket acceptance
East Coast passengers may use East Midlands Trains services on any reasonable route
First Capital Connect passengers may use CrossCountry services between Peterborough and Cambridge, and services from Cambridge to London Kings Cross which are unaffected by this disruption
Grand Central and Hull Trains passengers may use East Coast services on any reasonable route.

East Coast Passengers with tickets valid to travel today may use them tomorrow, Monday 28 November.

NRE shows KGX arrivals up to 3 hours late
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Should say apparently caused by a bike thrown at the train/onto the tracks (unclear as to the specifics)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class377/5

Established Member
NRE shows KGX arrivals up to 3 hours late
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Should say apparently caused by a bike thrown at the train/onto the tracks (unclear as to the specifics)

Bikes and other things.

RolandR

I've been looking at comments on Twitter and seen pics of chaos at Kings Cross. I think the affected train belonged to Hull Trains and they have cancelled their service this evening and advising pax to use East Mids from St. Pancras to Sheffield to then pick up road transport.

Schnellzug

Established Member
I've been looking at comments on Twitter and seen pics of chaos at Kings Cross. I think the affected train belonged to Hull Trains and they have cancelled their service this evening and advising pax to use East Mids from St. Pancras to Sheffield to then pick up road transport.

customer Service! "Um... well, go to sheffield and, i dunno... get a Bus from there, perhaps." On a Sunday evening at 9 p.m, I am sure that there is a very frequent Bus service from Sheffield to Hull, yes.

:roll:

EM2

Established Member
customer Service! "Um... well, go to sheffield and, i dunno... get a Bus from there, perhaps." On a Sunday evening at 9 p.m, I am sure that there is a very frequent Bus service from Sheffield to Hull, yes.

Road transport that is being specially provided by First...

RolandR

I think that Hull Trains are arranging the transport.

The 1905 from KGX to Leeds is due to leave 2 hours late but will terminate at Wakefield Westgate, 10 miles short of Leeds. Why? If the train is ending it's days work, it will actually pass through Leeds station to get to the depot.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator

The last Hull Trains is scheduled for 19.45 on a Sunday, the last opportunity to travel via Sheffield, is 19.25 from St Pancras to Sheffield then 22.13 to Hull. So hopefully for the few passengers there'll be HT will put on a bus, maybe just a minibus tho!

Aictos

Established Member
Bikes and other things.

Including of all things, Golf Clubs!

The broken down Hull Trains service is least out of the way in the bay platform but I wager a guess sooner or later it will have to be moved to use one of the Down Sidings as the bay platform will be needed for a FCC service in the morning.

TheBigD

Established Member
The bay at Huntingdon is rarely used these days. Only the 0640 service. Should be able to use platform 2 without too much hassle.

Class377/5

Established Member
Including of all things, Golf Clubs!

The broken down Hull Trains service is least out of the way in the bay platform but I wager a guess sooner or later it will have to be moved to use one of the Down Sidings as the bay platform will be needed for a FCC service in the morning.

I saw that. Sounds like an attempt to cause chaos and it worked.

Furrball

East Coast arranged an additional service - 21:25 KGX - Leeds, unfortunately latest tweet from NRE

The 21:25 London Kings Cross to Leeds is currently having problems at Finsbury Park-another train will come and get the passengers soon

It never rains but it pours . . .

mtmikethom

And this:
21:35 London Kings Cross to Leeds due 00:27
This train has now departed from London Kings Cross and is now 36 minutes late.This is due to disruptive passengers earlier.

wensley

Established Member
1A94 was the affected Hull Trains service, recovered to Huntingdon 176 late! Was certainly a mess, my friend's parents were attempting to travel back from KGX last night, I haven't found out what happened to them in the end! Last I had heard was EC were going to try and pack people onto one Edinburgh train to try and clear the backlog. GC's 1A65/N24 terminated/originated Peterborough from what I understand.

announcements

And this:
21:35 London Kings Cross to Leeds due 00:27
This train has now departed from London Kings Cross and is now 36 minutes late.This is due to disruptive passengers earlier.

I was on the 21:35 and it departed about half-an-hour later. The 20:35 left at 21:35 (albeit stealing our allocated HST, leaving us with a '225!) and was the service everyone ran to and as a result probably didn't get a seat! I was happy to wait for an extra half-an-hour to be in the seat that I had booked; as it happens, the train was fairly empty. There were no ticket inspections on-board and we got into Leeds at 1am.

When I arrived at King's Cross at around 21:00 I'd never seen the concourse so busy. The trains that seemed to be most affected were the Newcastle services. The police and CSAs were using the automatic gates to their advantage and managing the amount of people passing through them. As a result, there was a complete bottleneck and people were even walking under the CIS boards in order to get to their train! All announcements were done manually but every so often ATOS Anne would but in with her CCTV message, leaving most passengers looking rather bemused!

jon0844

Veteran Member
When we went to Leeds earlier in the year during disruption, they cancelled all seat reservations (and declassified first class) and there were a few problems with people finding their seats occupied and the realisation that they'd now have to stand despite having reserved seats.

In these circumstances, I guess you still couldn't get off and get the next train if you had an advanced ticket for that particular - now crushed loaded - service.

announcements

whhistle said:
Any pictures of the train or Kings Cross last night?

Not the best of pictures, but it shows people walking under the CIS boards due to the lack of capacity!

Attachments

• Photo1515.jpg
    Photo1515.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 143

jon0844

Veteran Member
I believe so, as passengers holding first class tickets were told over the PA system to seek out a member of staff either on the train or at the destination.

Status
Not open for further replies.