• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Major Incident At Bingley (04/05)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelTrains

Currently stuck on a train to Skipton that is 30 minutes late to due to a major incident at Bingley.

I presume this is a fatality.

No official announcement from the guard as to what has happened just yet.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

1D53

Established Member
Not a fatality. It appears have all kicked off on a train and consequently onto the platform.

MichaelTrains

Not a fatality. It appears have all kicked off on a train and consequently onto the platform.
It's time they banned drinking on the trains.

Especially after say 8:00 pm in the evening.

The number of times recently I’ve seen tables stacked high with beer cans and bottles of wine with the people consuming them being a disturbance to everyone else.

SimplyLlama

Looks to be 2H68 (19:26 Leeds - Skipton) which has been sat in at Bingley for around 30 minutes and subsequently caused a backlog.

2H68 has finally left Bingley, 38 minutes late.

Attachments

• IMG_9757.jpeg
    IMG_9757.jpeg
    291 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member

The number of times recently I’ve seen tables stacked high with beer cans and bottles of wine with the people consuming them being a disturbance to everyone else.
They are tanked up already by then so would make little/no difference.

dk1

Veteran Member
There were people getting tanked up at 0900 this morning on my part of the railway.
And mine. Ipswich Town fans and Newmarket 2000 Guineas fans travelling in their droves drinking early today.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Glad it's not a fatality.

Hope everything clears by the time my train gets there !

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
How and why did you come to this conclusion exactly? Hundreds of reasons why trains get delayed each day..
Maybe because I see a lot of "This train has been delayed by the emergency services dealing with an incident." being used, which is almost always used when someone gets hit because they seem to like being ambiguous about it

coxxy

There are plenty of reasons that delay code is used, not just fatalities.

Usually best to wait and find out some actual facts before presuming.

Snow1964

Established Member
Maybe because I see a lot of "This train has been delayed by the emergency services dealing with an incident." being used, which is almost always used when someone gets hit because they seem to like being ambiguous about it

I see your point, when a phrase becomes over used, tend to assume it is regular reason

Probably would be better using a phrase like multiple disruptive passengers, or police are dealing with.

The Fire service or coastguard etc which fall under the vague Emergency Services banner aren't likely to be involved for a few drunken louts, so using the multiple agencies title does rather cause misleading speculation.

Bertie the bus

Established Member
There are plenty of reasons that delay code is used, not just fatalities.

Usually best to wait and find out some actual facts before presuming.
If he had been provided with some information, which they said they hadn't 30 minutes in, then they wouldn't have had to presume anything. You are aiming your criticism at the wrong target.

Somewhere

Currently stuck on a train to Skipton that is 30 minutes late to due to a major incident at Bingley.

I presume this is a fatality.

No official announcement from the guard as to what has happened just yet.
Who said it was a major incident?

coxxy

If he had been provided with some information, which they said they hadn't 30 minutes in, then they wouldn't have had to presume anything. You are aiming your criticism at the wrong target.
Probably could have said, not sure why, rather than presume it's a fatality.

The fact that the OP has presumed there has been a fatality, and instantly decided to tell the Internet all about his presumption is just a sad state of affairs tbh..

TUC

Established Member
Rather hard on the innocent passengers who would also have been on the train. What are they meant to do?

Wyrleybart

Established Member
Rather hard on the innocent passengers who would also have been on the train. What are they meant to do?
Sadly they are captive in the scenario, but there have also been incidents at Stoke on Trent and Wakefield where police have been called. The dog handlers attending unruly people at Stoke.

Mcv378

Don't ban drinking because of those that can't handle it. Ban the people who caused this incident from the railway.

To have a drink on a train is a pleasure.

scrapy

Established Member

Usually on relatively short journeys it's those with alcohol may be loud but less likely to cause problems. Those who are already drunk and have run out of alcohol or had it taken off them are more likely to cause trouble.

Who would you expect to enforce the ban? BTP would not be interested and rail staff would not want the conflict. In fact it would likely make delays more common as rail staff wait for police who will see it as low priority. Or rail staff deal with it directly, get assaulted and services get cancelled.

Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member
To have a drink on a train is a pleasure.

Agreed, it’s one of the great pleasures in life. I am always considerate of others. It’s the awful groups of men & women of all ages and their loud pack mentality that spoils it for so many. Never understood why these often decent members of society change and choose to behave like that when together with similars.

jagardner1984

Surely the issue is what could best be described as “drunk and incapable” - someone having a glass of wine on the way home - obviously not a problem.

People who are either a visible nuisance as a result of their current or recent drinking, or are so intoxicated they are incapable of being around stations or trains safely. It is surely this which is the issue.

In my work there has been from time to time some form of incident which causes people in suits to come and “establish the facts” - fortunately nothing too serious - but nonetheless an investigation into what has happened and what actions people took. I picture myself explaining … “yeah so we could see they couldn’t stand up, yep they stumbled past the gate line staff like that, yep they fell on the platform a couple of times, on the platform next to the 3ft sheer drop next to the 125mph trains, yep we did say they should stand behind the yellow line …. “ Said people in suits would look at me like I was completely bonkers at the blatant “turn a blind eye” that occurs up and down the country every weekend.

IMHO (and to repeat if people want a glass or two and retain some basic signs of being a functioning adult, there is no issue and I’m very much live and let live) - but we are far too relaxed in this country about normalising large numbers of people being entirely paralytic in public spaces, inflicting chaos on lots of other people, and causing huge pressures in public services (at a moment when NHS is in crisis, 1.2million alcohol related hospital admissions in 2018-19 - 7.2% of all admissions ….) https://digital.nhs.uk/data-and-inf...statistical/statistics-on-alcohol/2019/part-1

Various other countries I’ve visited seem to have a more positive and mature relationship with alcohol.

Status
Not open for further replies.