• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Major new electrification projects to be anounced shortly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LE Greys

Established Member
Given the OP stated 'Marylebone to Aylesbury' and 'Aylesbury to Princes Risboro', that was the reason I said good luck with Marylebone to Aylesbury.

The choice there eventually will be one of the following:

- Leave as is with DMUs Amersham - Marylebone.
- Dual electrification to Amersham - Harrow - though I don't believe LUL will be keen on that.
- LUL abandon Amersham - Harrow (highly unlikely)
- Dual voltage units which could work on LUL infrastructure with changeover at Amersham - more likely.

I'd add -
  • Remove the contact rails on the fasts Harrow-Moor Park and replace with wires, confining the Met to the slows - which strikes me as unnecessary duplication
  • Dual-system stock on the Met, which needs either a change to the safety regulations to allow a bus line on a.c. or lots of pantographs, so re-electrify Harrow-Amersham/Watford
  • Extend the contact rails and Met services to Aylesbury Town, sending all Chiltern services via High Wycombe - which means either a service cut or diversion of some from Marylebone to Baker Street

My favourite would be dual-system stock on the Met

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I'd add -

Dual-system stock on the Met, which needs either a change to the safety regulations to allow a bus line on a.c. or lots of pantographs...

AC bus lines just like on 390s then?

The regulations must already allow them...

HSTEd

Veteran Member
AC bus lines just like on 390s then?

The regulations must already allow them...

London Underground regulations do not permit a bus lines on electric stock on its metals, this is why class 313s and all tube stock have separate pick up shoes for each power bogie.

Problem with partial conversion of the Met is that you need a very messy dual voltage layout at Harrow since its a flat junction for Chiltern services to reach the fast lines.

snail

Established Member
I hate this term "European funding"

If it ever happens it won't be part funded by Europe at all it will be paid for by us.

Europe has no money except what is given to it by countries like us.

When you take out your wages from the bank you wouldn't call it bank funding would you ?
So what do you call it? By your rules it's not your money, it belongs to your employers.

The Ham

Established Member
I hate this term "European funding"

If it ever happens it won't be part funded by Europe at all it will be paid for by us.

Europe has no money except what is given to it by countries like us.

When you take out your wages from the bank you wouldn't call it bank funding would you ?

I agree that we pay money to Europe, but that comes out of anouther budget other than transport. So although it is basicly getting our money back, it is more like spending money on (say) shopping and getting money back from the retailer to spend on your car.

Status
Not open for further replies.