• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Maltese Cross advance via Waterloo East and Thameslink

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nunners

I couldn't find a definitive answer for this on the forum but I'm sure it's been answered before.

My friend has to travel from Cambridge to SWR land tomorrow on an advance ticket. Obviously it's going to be hell trying to go on the tube. Are they allowed to take Thameslink from St Pancras to London Bridge and then SouthEastern to Waterloo East as part of a cross-london transfer?

I'm fairly sure it is valid, just checking before advising as such.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Whistler40145

Established Member
There are direct Cambridge to Brighton services calling at London Bridge, presumably this will be valid too

Are they allowed to take Thameslink from St Pancras to London Bridge and then SouthEastern to Waterloo East as part of a cross-london transfer?
Yes, and as @Whistler40145 says a direct train to London Bridge would be the best idea. Fares with the Maltese Cross...
include the cost of transfer across London on Thameslink services, or by London Underground, Elizabeth line or Docklands Light Railway [...] appropriate to the route of the through journey
(Says the National Rail "internal" Knowledgebase page.)

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I couldn't find a definitive answer for this on the forum but I'm sure it's been answered before.

My friend has to travel from Cambridge to SWR land tomorrow on an advance ticket. Obviously it's going to be hell trying to go on the tube. Are they allowed to take Thameslink from St Pancras to London Bridge and then SouthEastern to Waterloo East as part of a cross-london transfer?

Yes, this is fine.

miklcct

On Moderation
It is allowed but beware of the minimum connecting time at London Bridge / Waterloo.

A valid connection from St Pancras / Blackfriars to Waterloo may become invalid if the change is done at London Bridge / Waterloo East as it takes longer on paper to go that way.

Haywain

Veteran Member

I would advise your friend against travelling if it is avoidable, and allowing lots of time if it isn’t. The forecast temperatures mean there will be severe speed restrictions in place and a high risk of lines being closed for heat related reasons.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
There aren't going to be a lot of Thameslink trains through the core on Monday or Tuesday. Looks like four trains an hour with only the Brighton to Bedford and Luton to Rainham services running, the latter calling all stations.

There are direct Cambridge to Brighton services calling at London Bridge, presumably this will be valid too
Not on Monday or Tuesday.

Note that technically Thameslink trains from Cambridge to Brighton are reservable so should be shown on an itinerary.

Status
Not open for further replies.